amusement park in singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggodetucsamoht

May 14, 2006
Woodlands
back in the days of the 80's, when i was just few years old my parents brought me to a amusement park somewhere in kallang, anybody has any idea on this amusement park, have any pix of it?

i cant remember much as i was just very very young but only able to recall that there is a haunted house, some coasted rides, bumper car etc...

back in the days of the 80's, when i was just few years old my parents brought me to a amusement park somewhere in kallang, anybody has any idea on this amusement park, have any pix of it?

i cant remember much as i was just very very young but only able to recall that there is a haunted house, some coasted rides, bumper car etc...

Kallang or Geylang........? Gay World used to be at Lor 2 Geylang along Geylang Road.

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_1044_2006-06-01.html

Last edited:

If it's in the 80s, Wonderland would have been towards the end of their existence. It was popular in the 60s and 70s, and was located where the Indoor Stadium is now. I think Wonderland might have been independent of the Gay/Great/New-World group.

My memory is hazy, but once you go pass the wooden and chicken wire admission booth and collapsible sliding wrought iron gates, on the right would be the kopitiam - really OLD kopitiam style with marble tables and wooden chairs...and spitoons.

On the left would be the built-up areas which either had the billiard saloon and then coin arcade machines, or vice-versa. Kana, kachang putih and toy stalls lined the place. Bumper car rides should be after that.

On the right of that area would be the large open areas where the lower rides were situated aka small train rides which at the time seemed HUGE!

Further in right at the end, along the row of the billiard saloon as arcade machines, was the air rifle gallery usually manned by one of those old school sarong-clad 'mama-man'.

Along the way, assuming the built-up area was on your left, on the right at the central open area, you should have the elevated 'Tea-cup' rides, and behind that towards the end would be the large rides - 'Flying Chairs' and the infamous Roller-Coaster ride - the rambling and rattling sound of which was actually scarier than the ride itself ... but back then, that was a major attraction already. Remember the 'Merlion' style head on that thing?

I can't remember what was on the extreme right of the open area and after the kopitiam. There might have been a 'Getai' or 'Keronchong' stage of some sort. Also can't remember if there was a Ferris Wheel or if there was a Haunter House. Was it a Haunted Train Ride instead? If it was, it's said that the trains broke down quite a lot and you'll see workers in shorts, singlets and slippers walking around to push the trains out!

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9852/kallangparlwonderland719778wq.jpg

http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/neatstuff/places/great7.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.