amateur to semi-pro

najib91

Oct 10, 2011
hey there guys,

i did amateur photography for 3 years already,the problems is i always rent nikon camera's just wanna know what camera is a good start?why?and how much?i need hellp!!!

there is a sticky on what dslr to buy...and please also remember to state your budget. Else cams like D3s, 1Ds, D700, 5Dmk2 will come out. reason: they are the "best". *the word best is VERY subjective to individual*

hey there guys,

i did amateur photography for 3 years already,the problems is i always rent nikon camera's just wanna know what camera is a good start?why?and how much?i need hellp!!!

What nikon camera did you rent? If these cameras suits your needs, then fork up the money and buy it. Since it had been 3 years, you should already know the Nikon camera inside out, so it would be a logical thing to just go Nikon.

yeah i've been using D5000 as my main body of every pictures i snap but last weekend i survey D80 kit lens cost about $600.and i wanting to go from amateur to semi-pro.

if you've used Nikon for the last 3 years .... then stick to Nikon as you are more familiar with this brand and its operating system

cant believe that after 3 years you have not check around on prices or have some kind of preferences in mind already

Last edited:
yeah i've been using D5000 as my main body of every pictures i snap but last weekend i survey D80 kit lens cost about $600.and i wanting to go from amateur to semi-pro.

D80 is a great camera... but I would advice that you fork out a bit more to get the D90 or better still get the D7000. D90 at present is selling at a ridiculously cheap price for what it offers... it is a great camera... many CSers are still using it and had taken amazing photos.

no need to jump ship, just go with Nikon... you are familiar with it and know what to expect, what not to.

Well... How does the D5000 limit you? Just getting a new body will not mean you automatically become "semi pro" as well...

Same here,I myself also get shock for using a rented Nikon camera and you don't have one on your own.
And yet still can asking around here for the price.What a joke.

Same here,I myself also get shock for using a rented Nikon camera and you don't have one on your own.
And yet still can asking around here for the price.What a joke.

What is so wrong with renting a camera and using it... for whatever period of time? Someone would like to rent a camera or whatever equipment first before committing to buy one... or would never buy one. That is the mode of functioning for many people nowaday.

And what is so wrong that someone finally wanted to get a camera and was asking around for a price? Have it occur to you that not everyone might need to get whatever he/she is using and consider renting a valid reason... but recently, felt that he/she needed the camera more often and is finally ready to buy one?

hey there guys,

What do you mean by "amateur photography", and am I right to understand that you DO NOT own a camera, but have been renting one for every single occasion when you want to carry out "amateur photography"?

And you think getting a body that is labeled buy Nikon marketing as 'semi pro' that you will achieve something? Use what you are familiar with, upgrade your skills. That will improve your pictures. Whether you label yourself 'semi-pro' or whatnot does not matter, people will comment on your pictures.

I do know of a pro photographer (pro because he charges for this services), who also doesn't own a camera. Everytime he has a job, he rents all his equipment.
it's more cost effective that way…and he will always have the latest equipment on hand :)

I do know of a pro photographer (pro because he charges for this services), who also doesn't own a camera. Everytime he has a job, he rents all his equipment.
it's more cost effective that way…and he will always have the latest equipment on hand :)

hmm.. a photographer need to gel with his equipment, getting used to all the knobs and button and how the lens respond. By using a rental set, it just lack of this..

hmm.. a photographer need to gel with his equipment, getting used to all the knobs and button and how the lens respond. By using a rental set, it just lack of this..

Not if you are very experienced with various cameras. I know of photogs where you can hand them a Nikon, a Canon, a Sony, a Pentax and they'll immediately know where all the settings are because they have a lot of experience with all bodies.

thanks guys for your advice.will think about it.