Always wondered what was the literal meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
f0ae6b9e.jpg

is it an exact translation?

Cathy Photographic Equipment something something, the last Chinese word has many meanings, can be company, can be community, can be association...

In fact, if I were to voice my feelings out loud, I'd say it is a very Classical Chinese Expression. Terms and the way the words are used, a style that has not been seen since perhaps the late 50's - 60's. The words "摄影用品" has a very humble feel to it. An implication that says "Hey, we are a simple shop that supplies tools (用品) for photography.". And even more elegantly classical, the word "社" is a old Chinese term that translate into Company. As what Catchlights has rightfully pointed out - Association, community, clans... Not to be confused with the other term "社会" - Society.
Nowadays the Chinese names of companies tend to be more modern.

Too bad my chinese is really really REALLY bad...

Too bad my chinese is really really REALLY bad...

Hi Linnl71. Good to see you here. I will be 41 yr old in a few months' time.
From your current 18 yrs old to 40 yrs old, you have 22 years to learn Photography and produce spectacular work, if you put your heart to it.
And during this 22 years, I believe you would speak and also write remarkably fluent Russian, if you put your mind to it.
Really REALLY bad Chinese? You're feeling 'too bad' about it? Fret not. Just use half the time and half the effort you put into your photography. Hehehe... sorry sorry I OT-ed here.

影 how come the last stroke is like that one? traditional chinese?

影 how come the last stroke is like that one? traditional chinese?

This is written in the style 隶书 (Li shu).
It is such that the last stroke of 影 instead of 一撇 (pie) it is stylised to 一捺 (na). In the study of Calligraphy (书法), this effectively balances the character to give it a more stablised ending. Much like taking photo, the 1/3 rule and such.
My humble opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.