Alway white sky and no clouds..

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximize

Jun 14, 2008
Hi, wonder if anyone can give me some tips on how to shoot landscape with apparantly light blue sky thru-out and i would say zero clouds... every photo i took the sky look blown white... any filters to reccommend or settings that would will help?

btw... the weather is hot.. veri hot... juz a comment... nothing to do with photography... haha...

funny question you're asking.. you want deep blue skies with no clouds.. i'd say.. WAIT for that to happen?

as for blown skies.. it could be that you metered the shadows area in your picture and therefore your camera overexposes the sky..

Hi, wonder if anyone can give me some tips on how to shoot landscape with apparantly light blue sky thru-out and i would say zero clouds... every photo i took the sky look blown white... any filters to reccommend or settings that would will help?

btw... the weather is hot.. veri hot... juz a comment... nothing to do with photography... haha...
Photoshop the clouds out?

Either got to wait for a nice sunny day to take landscape pics or invest in graduated filters, ND or blue coloured ones.

On normal bluish days, a white sky image means that sky has been over-exposed & exposure should be stopped down.

Post some examples.

Is the sky blue to your eyes? I'm assuming it is, otherwise... :dunno: :bsmilie:

Without seeing examples, I'd say your options are:

1. Graduated neutral density filter to balance out the sky and the landscape

2. Bracket your exposures and then merge in Photoshop (you'll have to use tripod here, of course)

3. Shoot in raw and see if you can recover from the blown highlights

4. Use a polarizing filter - it may help by making blocking some of the light from the sky. Works best on sunny days, and sun is 90 degrees to the camera.

Post some examples.

Is the sky blue to your eyes? I'm assuming it is, otherwise... :dunno: :bsmilie:

Without seeing examples, I'd say your options are:

1. Graduated neutral density filter to balance out the sky and the landscape

2. Bracket your exposures and then merge in Photoshop (you'll have to use tripod here, of course)

3. Shoot in raw and see if you can recover from the blown highlights

4. Use a polarizing filter - it may help by making blocking some of the light from the sky. Works best on sunny days, and sun is 90 degrees to the camera.

oh ok.. thks... i will try out with my polarizer since i hv one at hand.. but dun hv gnd and nd filter... so thats why thinking of getting one...

well.. juz to clarify... when i use my eyes to see the sky.. its light blue... when i took the pics... even if i meter at shade or manual setting... wat happen is the pics look the sky looks really plain, wash out... graduating from blue to white... sometimes it looks blown out... lowering the exposure too much brings the landscape level to rather dark... anyway from my small lcd under the sun i cant tell how is the image like (the lcd under sun.. u noe lah.. cant see a thing) unless i go under a veri shady area or look thru my pc... there is no texture to the sky... i noe that i can change the atomspheric condition so juz wanna see and tips to making the best out of the situation...

DSC02400.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

some examples i juz randomly choose... dun C&C the pics hor.. haha.. thks... really no clouds... hot place to be...

Last edited:
That's because your eyes can see more than your camera. It's something called "dynamic range".

In any case, lennyl provided some tried-and-tested solutions. Do go try them out.

from the photos you show,
you are almost shooting toward the sun, the is nothing else can do to get blue sky

either you change your shooting
direction, or
timing of the day

Its not a straight forward thing to capture clear blue skies with cloud details, especially so in this part of the world. A lot of patience is required and you really have to know your ambient light and how your camera will responses to these light conditions.

You seeing a blue sky does not necessarily means your camera will capture the same. Graduate filters will help to a certain extend, provided there are details in the sky to capture. You'll find that the filters work better with landscapes where the horizon is clear cut. Using it for urban scapes where buildings are above the horizon will sometimes yield funny results.

Unfortunately, this is not sometime that you can get out there and expect good results everytime. Keep going back, learn to read the ambient light and you'll know when's the best time to take the photo. Be prepared to set up the shot and wait for hours to get the correct light. That's a test of your dedication.

You can try HDR. Dynamic range is improved.

i tink the answer to ur prob would be a GND..

i believe so... a lot of pple has advice to get the gnd and it will level the sky down... anyway... think i will look out for 2 stop gnd for a start...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.