All rounder lens for Olympus E-PL5

Dilemma again, E-PL5 or E-PM2 lol

Have you even went down to the shops to try them out? That is by far the BEST way to decide on a camera *that is after you have done your due diligence of reading reviews*

If just reading on camera specs give you dilemma, you should stop reading those specs and go and try it out!

Very hard leh, went down to Best Denki, they have both camera for hands-on but no power.....
Rest of the shop, you test dont buy they give u a face...

Very hard leh, went down to Best Denki, they have both camera for hands-on but no power.....
Rest of the shop, you test dont buy they give u a face...

So the question is, did you try the "rest of the shop"? I'm pretty sure some have some display sets for testing. *Also, a large part will depend on your attitude to the staffs also, be nice to them... thou some may give you a long face at first.*

The "Rest of the shop" I'm referring to is those listed in the recommended shop list under the price guide section....

Last edited:
Actually not the first time entering those 'recommended' shops listed, especially the 2 shops when i'm still staying in AMK when i'm scouting for monopod. They are more interested in attending to their regular customers who was purchasing 24-70 lens. Depending on my attitude no use de, stick a credit card on my forehead might turn out better.
So the question is, did you try the "rest of the shop"? I'm pretty sure some have some display sets for testing. *Also, a large part will depend on your attitude to the staffs also, be nice to them... thou some may give you a long face at first.*

The "Rest of the shop" I'm referring to is those listed in the recommended shop list under the price guide section....

Actually not the first time entering those 'recommended' shops listed, especially the 2 shops when i'm still staying in AMK when i'm scouting for monopod. They are more interested in attending to their regular customers who was purchasing 24-70 lens. Depending on my attitude no use de, stick a credit card on my forehead might turn out better.

Huh? Normally I get very good attitude from Cathay Photo, John3:16 (although sometime they play the hard sales tactics) and Orient Photo. I think you can get good attitude from the folks at Click! cameras too.

One thing is, you can play around with the two cameras, but don't hit shutter, try their AF system, play with the menu, etc etc and see how you like it. Also for Best Denki, you can ask the sales person to get a working battery to let you try, I did that quite a number of time, and the salespersons are okay with it.

Hmm, I have better luck with the branch at AMK Hub than the Main branch... That said, when I last visited SLRR many months back, they also allowed me to test here and there, no questions asked. (other than asking if I need help to navigate the menu).. By any chance, you visit on weekdays or weekends? I usually try to go on less crowded days which usually is the weekdays.

Went on weekdays, i was just inquiring on a certain model of monopod, their reply is straight 'No' and turn their face other side instead of recommending other brands.

Hmm, I have better luck with the branch at AMK Hub than the Main branch... That said, when I last visited SLRR many months back, they also allowed me to test here and there, no questions asked. (other than asking if I need help to navigate the menu).. By any chance, you visit on weekdays or weekends? I usually try to go on less crowded days which usually is the weekdays.

Went on weekdays, i was just inquiring on a certain model of monopod, their reply is straight 'No' and turn their face other side instead of recommending other brands.

wow... what were you asking the staff about the monopod? IIRC, they don't have alot of monopod/tripods either...

Hi all,

A P&S user considering to purchase the Olympus E-PL5 for travel and indoor shooting. But i understand the poison of buying lens is too great that i would like to keep it to the most minimal.
Hopefully the expert in here could shed some lights on which is the best all-rounder lens apart from those mentioned below and why.

The recommendations i received were:
Panasonic 25mm f1.4
Panasonic 20mm f1.7

But i would also like to ask if do i need an adapter for the above mentioned lens.

Appreciated.

Hey, I'm using a epl5 in my Japan trip. Working with the below kit which I can say, except for super telephoto, all other scenarios are working fine.

Olympus 12-50 for landscape and zooming.
Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm for portraiture.
I'm considering a 70-300 next...

Cheers.

Thinking of get rid of the 2 kit len and get the 12-50 also at least got macro also.

Apart from better magnifcation, what you do gain is the extra wideness 2mm which is alot for landscapes, electronic zoom, extra 8mm tele, you do lose some portability though, which for some is a big deal especially using a Pen. It's a good kit to start off with certainly. the 40-150 is useful lens actually, not just for tele but also for portraits. Why not keep it? It's easier to sell than the 14-42.

Happyshooter already reserved the 40-150mm if i were to get the TLK. 25mm f1.4 is a confirmed purchase so now need a wider lens which personally feel 12-50 kit is a much favorable lens to keep over the 14-42mm.

Dilemma again, E-PL5 or E-PM2 lol

Bodies come and go, just get the cheaper body and more lenses if budget is an issue.
Same sensor anyway.