After buying all that gear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
...do you ever get the nagging feeling that you don't really use them often enough? I sometimes do. :sweatsm: No, this is not just a case of "don't use the lens often thus better to sell it off lar" but its just that sometimes you wonder if spending all that moolah and let your investments just sit in the dry cabi most of the time (due to work/lack of time/opportunity to shoot) is kinda wasteful, don't you think?

If you are a full time working adult and/or with a family to take care of (especially during the precious weekends), I think finding time to indulge in this hobby is quite difficult. I am a single working adult but still I usually only shoot on one day per weekend...in the past when I was more enthusiastic I used to shoot on both days even...but now the enthusiasm has somewhat died down I find myself shooting less frequently, though I still try to shoot whenever I can and if the mood strikes me. :)

Even so I just find that I don't really use my gear often enough to justify the expenditure on it.

So what are your views on this?

get engaged or married, and have babies, so you have subjects to shoot all week long :bsmilie:

...do you ever get the nagging feeling that you don't really use them often enough? I sometimes do. :sweatsm: No, this is not just a case of "don't use the lens often thus better to sell it off lar" but its just that sometimes you wonder if spending all that moolah and let your investments just sit in the dry cabi most of the time (due to work/lack of time/opportunity to shoot) is kinda wasteful, don't you think?

If you are a full time working adult and/or with a family to take care of (especially during the precious weekends), I think finding time to indulge in this hobby is quite difficult. I am a single working adult but still I usually only shoot on one day per weekend...in the past when I was more enthusiastic I used to shoot on both days even...but now the enthusiasm has somewhat died down I find myself shooting less frequently, though I still try to shoot whenever I can and if the mood strikes me. :)

Even so I just find that I don't really use my gear often enough to justify the expenditure on it.

Already learnt that lesson during my 35mm film days. I shoot more during my work at the office then leisure. After sometime, even shooting at your leisure can feel like work sometime heheh..so I take time off from shooting.

As I said I have learnt from my film days...so after I sold off my F5 and a few lens ...I literally went to a semi pro PnS Sony digital. I did not really went ape and go buy buy buy but I had alot of gear stocked up at home that was not used as often so...selling all the gear off was almost a relief in itself. Better it go to someone who will use it more regular and passionately then for it to sit in my cabinet and only see light every few months.

I am still happy with my D70...for all the so called shutter count people seem worried about with DSLRs and people laminating about how short a life span DSLRs have...well....mine is still clicking along fine and have not gave me any problems. I keep only 3 lens now..sold off my SB600 which saw very little use and....so far that is all I need. Right now I am shooting even less due to work and my work that involve my DSLR does not need a higher resolution picture quality so unless something bad happens to my DSLR (touch wood) or the demand of my use increase exponentially, I don't see my decision changing. I forsee getting back to something full frame and well if my D70 can last another year or so...I guess by then there will be a few more DSLR from Nikon that will be full frame like the D700 or D3. I think I am on the right track now as my buying decision is base on jumping at least 2 generation or so before I get something else. About the same formula I use for purchase a new computer. In the mean time, I am so familair with my DSLR's feature and various control layout....it is almost second nature to adjusting the settings and familiar with all it's quirks. And that is another good reason for not changing your gear as often.

Try this website http://www.dpchallenge.com/
It has weekly photo themes that you can submit your photos for votes. It's a good site to challenge yourselves and improve your photography. I'm not too crazy about this site but some of my colleagues participate religiously and I do see them improving.

Garion, try night photography so that you can shoot at weeknights.. hee.

Else can put yr 500mm at my place and I use for you. :lovegrin:

I tink it because kakis alos no free lah...

:bsmilie:

Find something new to shoot, to rekindle your interest again.
Would really love to have all the free time (and moolah) to travel round the world and explore (and shoot), but that is still a dream (for now). :sweatsm:

Frankly Sg doesn't have that much interesting stuffs to shoot...I've tried events, nature, macro, sports, fashion, portraits, and what have you...well its just the same old stuff again, hard to find "new" stuffs to shoot lar.

After buying gear, its kinda hard to stare at it sitting in the drybox so I do go out to shoot randomly once in a week. Esp macro as I find my quality degrades if I don't shoot for a while. :cry:

Try this website http://www.dpchallenge.com/
It has weekly photo themes that you can submit your photos for votes. It's a good site to challenge yourselves and improve your photography. I'm not too crazy about this site but some of my colleagues participate religiously and I do see them improving.
Thanks, wil check it out!

Yah loh...anyway also need new gear to entice me out to shoot lor. waiting for you to buy. :bsmilie:

I know you aiming for 70-200/f4... how about I sell you my 70-200 IS L /f2.8:devil:

lets go shoot xmm together.. haha.a.............

Bro, your 500mm f4 is shouting inside your dry cabi: Use me more often! Use me more often!

stop nagging...theres a noisy KF calling every morning between out blocks..just mount yr 500 near the window.

join me..get a psp...:bsmilie:

All the time.
Look at so much gear, buy so much gear, and don't have time to use it, but have time to look for more!

Buy what you need, rent what you desire... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.