Affordable B&W printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmk

Nov 8, 2005
flickr.com
Hi:

Do any shops in singapore do B&W printing (the original way with an enlarger, not through the colour print film development process) at affordable rates.

I asked at Ruby, they charge $2 per 4R copy and well above my budget ($0.80-$1 per 4r copy).

I am actually interested in larger prints and would like to find a place that does 8R prints for me under $10 a piece.

Thanks

nmk said:
Hi:

Do any shops in singapore do B&W printing (the original way with an enlarger, not through the colour print film development process) at affordable rates.

I asked at Ruby, they charge $2 per 4R copy and well above my budget ($0.80-$1 per 4r copy).

I am actually interested in larger prints and would like to find a place that does 8R prints for me under $10 a piece.

Thanks

Don't think you can find any places that will do wet darkroom B&W for under $10 for 8R. Even if you do, be prepared to get a print that is probably not up to your expectation, which will probably last you a few years before it turns yellow due to fixer.

Cheapest way is to print it yourself, really. And you'll understand the amount of time and work needed to print a proper copy. I sometimes trash up to 4 pieces before I get one that I'm happy with. Washing time is 20minutes for RC paper and 45 minutes for fibre base paper under running water, that's the minimum to ensure that your print is free from fixer.

Personally, I would only go your route if you want a straight print - no burning, dodging or toning.

To retain full control over that process, you'll need to do it yourself, either by learning the wet process (which is fun but takes time) or by doing it digitally (faster process but you lose the tactile qualities of wet prints).

pipefish said:
Personally, I would only go your route if you want a straight print - no burning, dodging or toning.

To retain full control over that process, you'll need to do it yourself, either by learning the wet process (which is fun but takes time) or by doing it digitally (faster process but you lose the tactile qualities of wet prints).

Had 120 tri-x, dodged and burned in photoshop and printed using Epson 4800 / 7800 printers using their advance B&W mode. The prints using lustre paper is so neutral that unless you put it side by side a darkroom print, you won't be able to tell it's from a printer... in fact it looks VERY close to an RC Pearl paper print that I've done with the same negative in the darkroom.

oh my..seriously?
is that why you sold off your enlarger?

canturn said:
Had 120 tri-x, dodged and burned in photoshop and printed using Epson 4800 / 7800 printers using their advance B&W mode. The prints using lustre paper is so neutral that unless you put it side by side a darkroom print, you won't be able to tell it's from a printer... in fact it looks VERY close to an RC Pearl paper print that I've done with the same negative in the darkroom.

Just a query. Have you compared this image with one made on fibre paper?

Somehow, I have never been excited by prints made with inkjet.

I am thinking of an "experiment" to have a 4x5 negative scanned by a "master printer(digital)" and let him give the best print he could make. Obviously, being a "master printer" he can make digital prints much better than me! Then I compare this to a print which I wll make in my old fashion darkroom. And then see what the difference is.

There may be no difference. Or there may be.

I like to know.

i'm not a master printer..but i do have some pano 8x24" print from my 7800,they look pretty good..but..lack of the smooth tone the fibre print has..

if u dun compare,it will be good enuff for many pp,my enlarger is staying put!

politicalartist said:
oh my..seriously?
is that why you sold off your enlarger?

I have 2 more Durst enlargers in my office, one condensor and one colour head. Don't need another enlarger at home, so sold it ;)

student said:
Just a query. Have you compared this image with one made on fibre paper?

Somehow, I have never been excited by prints made with inkjet.

I am thinking of an "experiment" to have a 4x5 negative scanned by a "master printer(digital)" and let him give the best print he could make. Obviously, being a "master printer" he can make digital prints much better than me! Then I compare this to a print which I wll make in my old fashion darkroom. And then see what the difference is.

There may be no difference. Or there may be.

I like to know.

Inkjet prints can't compare to the kind of rich black and depth of FB paper. As Kex said, if you don't put them side by side, you can't tell.

However, it is really very closed to RC paper for the pearl texture.

Hi:

I agree that if I really want control over the printing process I would have to do it myself.

1) Is there a place I can learn from, will any of the labs teach me how B&W development works for a fee.

2) What would I need to set up a decent darkroom and what would that cost? Alternatively would I be able to rent a dark room or work in a lab on weekends in exchange for the privilege of using their dark room.

3) If I wanted to set up a dark room where would I be able to find affordable used equipment.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I really appreciate the help.

nmk

For a start you can sign up with Safra's darkroom cost, it should give u a 'license' to use their darkroom facilities ;)

I learnt at Objectifs, but there are other places that do these things.

SAFRA and Objectifs both have darkrooms for hire by the hour; you share them with other users.

Doesn't take much to set up a darkroom. You only need the enlarger and a few accessories. Less than 1k for everything, even less if you are printing 135 format. CS is a good place to find these things. I don't actually have a darkroom; i print in my kitchen/bathroom when everyone has gone to bed.

Its really satisfying to DIY, but it takes a while to produce a decent print and you need to prepared to put in the hours! Otherwise, do it digitally.

Status
Not open for further replies.