AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200 f2.8G IF-ED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Red Dawn

rueyloon - i think i know wat u mean....i found myself staring at various Leica and Bessa models today, together with their associated (expensive) lenses ;p

i think i was there 45 mins....definitely treading on dangerous grounds :)

Paradox, isn't it? You splurge on the latest and greatest, which then piques your interest in antique technology. You actually consider going back to film, manual focus and metering and (horrors!) manual winding (not that I have EVER been there). All this just to recapture the purity of the dawn of photography. My wife had to slap me when she caught me gazing lovingly at the cameras displayed outside Alley Photo in Centrepoint.

They're so COOL! But then I'd have to grow a goatee and a ponytail and wear sunglasses, a photographer's vest and maybe black leather pants to complete the "artistic" look, when I carry that Leica around.

Oi, guys! Don't frighten me with all this talk about manual cameras and all that Leica stuff... not to mentioned the purity of the dawn of photography... let's get back to what really matters!

Remember the important issue at the end of the day are the bells and whistles. The more your camera got the luckier you are. All these manual cameras have no IS, VR, DO, USM, HSM, EX, L, APO, IF, G how to take good pictures? Not to mentioned no 8fps motor drive, no 45 AF points, not even got 3... or even 1... how? Maybe only good for arty pictures (see Sharpshooter's excellent post elsewhere)...

Red Dawn... I will be happy to accept donations of useless Canon equipment now that you've discovered the dangers of the Red Spot. Particularly that D30 which has more technology than you can shake a big stick at.

Until then I will keep using my camera which has no AF, no meter, no motordrive, no CCD, no LCD...

BTW, for anyone who didn't get it, that was a very sarcastic post... except for the points about Sharpshooter's post, which is really brilliant, and, erm, that bit about Red Dawn donating his D30 to me. I can pm my mailing address to make it more convenient for you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Paradox, isn't it? You splurge on the latest and greatest, which then piques your interest in antique technology. You actually consider going back to film, manual focus and metering and (horrors!) manual winding (not that I have EVER been there). All this just to recapture the purity of the dawn of photography. My wife had to slap me when she caught me gazing lovingly at the cameras displayed outside Alley Photo in Centrepoint.

hey StreetShooter, do yourself a favour and go down to Anthony's Collection at Peninsula Plaza level 2. The experience will be mind blowing compared to the one at Alley :) A suggestion would be to first deposit your wife at Raffles City first (maybe at MANGO? haha :p), or get her to buy some bread from the newly opened BreadTalk. That way u have some time ;P

They also have commemorative editions of the Leica M6 (gold plated. ok, so it looks quite ah-bengish...) as well as associated posters, charts, family trees showing the history of Leicas all the way from the first 35mm handheld camera ever designed to the current models. Their Bessa display is also very nicely done.

And oh, the clincher. They actually have prints on display too, taken with those cameras. Nevermind if those photos can also be taken at the right time, at the right place, with your D30 :)

just remember - if u spend any money there, it's not my fault! ;p

They're so COOL! But then I'd have to grow a goatee and a ponytail and wear sunglasses, a photographer's vest and maybe black leather pants to complete the "artistic" look, when I carry that Leica around.

remember, Queen Elizabeth II also uses a Leica. And she looks quite elegant wielding that thing. So i guess u can pull off with a really rich, high class look as well. :)

Originally posted by Jed
Remember the important issue at the end of the day are the bells and whistles. The more your camera got the luckier you are. All these manual cameras have no IS, VR, DO, USM, HSM, EX, L, APO, IF, G how to take good pictures? Not to mentioned no 8fps motor drive, no 45 AF points, not even got 3... or even 1... how? Maybe only good for arty pictures (see Sharpshooter's excellent post elsewhere)...

as long as your camera has this on it:
logo_cc.gif
all those techno whizzbang don't matter! :devil:

(is it just me or does that little devil icon look really similar to the Leica symbol??!!)

I can pm my mailing address to make it more convenient for you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

let me get this straight. who's paying for shipping???

Originally posted by Jed
Oi, guys! Don't frighten me with all this talk about manual cameras and all that Leica stuff... not to mentioned the purity of the dawn of photography... let's get back to what really matters!

Red Dawn... I will be happy to accept donations of useless Canon equipment now that you've discovered the dangers of the Red Spot. Particularly that D30 which has more technology than you can shake a big stick at.

Until then I will keep using my camera which has no AF, no meter, no motordrive, no CCD, no LCD...

BTW, for anyone who didn't get it, that was a very sarcastic post... except for the points about Sharpshooter's post, which is really brilliant, and, erm, that bit about Red Dawn donating his D30 to me. I can pm my mailing address to make it more convenient for you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Totally manual cameras do one thing. Slow you down. You will then have more time to think, instead of blindly shooting at 10fps. There's a letter to one of the photo mags (forgot which) where a manual camera user's wife complaine that ever since he upgraded to a F5, his pics are no longer as good as those taken by his totally manual camera..... ;)

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Totally manual cameras do one thing. Slow you down. You will then have more time to think, instead of blindly shooting at 10fps. There's a letter to one of the photo mags (forgot which) where a manual camera user's wife complaine that ever since he upgraded to a F5, his pics are no longer as good as those taken by his totally manual camera..... ;)
Regards
CK

Hi

i know perfectly well wat u mean by that, but for discussion's sake, if someone tells me that's an advantage of manual cameras (i'm talking about 35mm format here), i would have to disagree. (caveat: i'm speaking from the point of view of someone who hasn't shot with a manual camera before, only played around with one....and know how one works)

Most pple don't have 10 fps cameras, so the part about shooting blind at 10fps isn't really warranted. Also, you can be fast shooting with a manual camera too. i think if u're really a good photographer, using a more modern camera will not make u any worse. However, if one if inclined to shoot without thinking, tendency for him is to do the same with manual cameras.

It is unlikely, (but not impossible) that you will find that many manual camera users at soccer matches, basketball games, or any other sports etc where the 10 fps is really needed (and very much appreciated). Come to think of it, wildlife shooters also need high shooting rates, and i doubt there are many wildlife shooters using manual cameras.

so i would say it's more of horses for courses; ie a different kind of camera for a different kind of usage. Manual cameras are indeed very good for low light shooting / concert photography and street photography, due to their rangefinder designs.

So both designs have their place in the world.

A photographer who excels does not excel because his manual camera "slows him down to think" - but because of his anticipation skills, his knowledge of the situation, and the ability to think ahead of the situation. Another photographer possessing the same skills and knowledge would be able to do as well using an automatic-everything top of the line SLR.

so IMHO, it's the ability to think ahead and anticipate that is more important, rather than the camera slowing down your workflow

so wat will really slow down a 35mm photographer to think? A tripod :D

i think if u're really a good photographer, using a more modern camera will not make u any worse. However, if one if inclined to shoot without thinking, tendency for him is to do the same with manual cameras.

Good point, agree completely.

It is unlikely, (but not impossible) that you will find that many manual camera users at soccer matches, basketball games, or any other sports etc where the 10 fps is really needed (and very much appreciated). Come to think of it, wildlife shooters also need high shooting rates, and i doubt there are many wildlife shooters using manual cameras.

It's a commonly held misconception that you need high speed motordrives for sport, or wildlife for that matter. It does make a difference, but not as much as a lot of people outside the industry think. I now use a camera which shoots a paltry 3fps (down from 8fps) and I do well enough alongside people using 3fps, 5fps and 8fps. Sports is mainly about timing. Wildlife is little different.

so IMHO, it's the ability to think ahead and anticipate that is more important, rather than the camera slowing down your workflow

Another good point.

so wat will really slow down a 35mm photographer to think? A tripod :D

No, a D30 in low light with a Tamron 28-300. :p

Regards
CK

Seriously? Give him exactly one frame to shoot.

Originally posted by Jed
Seriously? Give him exactly one frame to shoot.

I tried before, in average office lighting conditions, hunts like hell. I can focus faster than that on my FE. Luckily the D30 isn't that bad with proper lenses.

Regards
CK

Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, etc...

what's the difference?<i>
if you shoot Canon, Nikon's AF-S 70-200 f2.8 VR IF ED isn't going to do much for you....

If you shoot Nikon, Canon's EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM isn't going to do anything for you..........</i>

if you need it, get it.. and be done with. No point wasting time one which camera brands offer what lens... or what it can do "better" than other lens.

I can probably use my Canon system to get those photos I want. Switch it over to similar Nikon set up, and I am fairly certain, given 1 or 2 days of familiarisation, I can do the same. The point is, the photographer is the one making the images, the camera don't shoot/compose images by itself. Getting anal about what your "system" have or have not over others isn't improving your images is it?
<b>If your system provides something to help you get the shot done (<i>and you can afford it</i>), good, go get it now. If it is only offered by another system, big deal, you have been making images (<i>great or not</i>) with what you have along without such "technology", so I don't see one being handicap by one.</b>

So instead of flaming each other left right and center over such issues, just go shoot more, learn more, and improve upon your exisiting photos/portfolios.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.