AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G suitable for portraits?

oblonto

Jan 2, 2010
Hey guys, i was thinking of buying the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens for general photography, but since im shooting portraits (esp full body/half body) shots very often, i was wondering if this lens is suitable? or would it be too much of a distortion. anyone who has this lens care to share their experiences?

Many Thanks!!

Personal preference... Used to shoot on 50mm but it is too tight in indoors HAHA... 35mm will give u that extra "wideness" =p

Have not used it for "proper" portraits yet. Can't give you an accurate answer :)
don't notice the distortion, if any.

Hey guys, i was thinking of buying the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G lens for general photography, but since im shooting portraits (esp full body/half body) shots very often, i was wondering if this lens is suitable? or would it be too much of a distortion. anyone who has this lens care to share their experiences?

Many Thanks!!

the distortion would be caused by you being very near to the subject and not because of the lens, there is a change in perspective.."Our brains recall people's facial features as they appear to be from about 15 feet (5 meters) away" from:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/portrait-lenses.htm

so textbook says you have to be 15 ft away to get realistic representation of a person, using the 35mm 15 ft away would just give you a full body shot, but then again, as they say photography is all about art, so you can be creative in your own ways and use it for portrait photography...if you ask me, i'd only use the 35mm for general photography, light walk about prime, indoor party shots(a few portraits), but if there's a serious portrait photoshoot, id use longer focal lengths..

Last edited:
I would agree with you on that! :)
50mm is probably closer to the focal length needed. Maybe even that is not close enough :)

35mm will work, although I'm not impressed by the lens for portraiture work.

prefer the 50 1.8 for portrait. cheap and good on d90 for me! 35 more for general walk around but sometimes i also feel its not wide enough haha >.<

need some advice as well. which would you guys recommend for taking pictures of kids indoor at close range? thanks.

35/1.8 coupled with a speedlight...
i assume you're using a nikon DX camera though...