AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arlato

May 21, 2009
singapore
Anyone know about the difference between VRI and VRII?
and also the price?

Anyone know about the difference between VRI and VRII?
and also the price?

There is no VR I for this lens. When it first released, it was already VRII. This new version only seem to sport an additional zoom lock switch, everything else the same as the old one. I'm expecting the price to be the same also.

Both versions are VRII, in terms of the VR mechanism used. The "II" in the newer version refers to version 2. Just like 18-55 (non-VR) has a version 2 as well.

And NO, we don't call it Mark II. :bsmilie:

So far there's no indication of price. I'd think it should be priced similar to the version 1 when new.

Following information from Nikon:

The revised version features a new zoom mechanism to combat 'zoom creep' (one of the most common user complaints about the original lens), along with a zoom lock switch to keep the lens compact when carried. Improved 'Super Integrated Coating' promises to reduce flare and ghosting while size, weight and optical construction remain unchanged.

Price (I think) is around $400 to $700 more then the old one.

Hopefully they fixed the problem as shown by Isisaxon in his post about stripping down the 18-200. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4242663&postcount=1

Really would like to get such a utility lens for walkabouts.

I have a feeling that problem was fixed in the MiT versions already. Seldom hear people complain about the MiT ones.. Those who have similar complains are holding the MiJ copies.

Following information from Nikon:

The revised version features a new zoom mechanism to combat 'zoom creep' (one of the most common user complaints about the original lens), along with a zoom lock switch to keep the lens compact when carried. Improved 'Super Integrated Coating' promises to reduce flare and ghosting while size, weight and optical construction remain unchanged.

Price (I think) is around $400 to $700 more then the old one.

SIC is still not Nano Crystal coating....:angry:

Both versions are VRII, in terms of the VR mechanism used. The "II" in the newer version refers to version 2. Just like 18-55 (non-VR) has a version 2 as well.

And NO, we don't call it Mark II. :bsmilie:

So far there's no indication of price. I'd think it should be priced similar to the version 1 when new.

Nice one, not mark ii !

haha, just VR II sounds good:)

hi anyone know the "NEW" version2 already selling in singapore?....i went SLS>..they are still selling the old one. I am thinking of getting it together with the D5000

no, no release on when the date will be yet...

but i'll still go for the older one, it's the classic and it's cheaper

quite keen to get this lens leh...

any1 knows if its gonna be $1000 or more?

no ideas on price yet but we can expect it to be about the same rrp as it's predecessor upon launch.

I am thinking of letting go of my 17-55 cos it's too heavy for my body (D90) and get this instead... not sure whether that will be a great move though :confused:

i hope it will launch together with comex,

if not, no reason why i wanna go squeeze with people this time.

Japan is selling the new version at 1.3k and the old 1 at 1k
i have a copy of the old version.
Yes, the lens do have creeping problem between 30mm to 100mm but u can easily solved it by using a cheap band or an o-ring.
According to reviews both the optics is the same.
I would never pay $300 just to solve the lens creep problem.
How often do you take photographs ponting vertically downwards?

I am thinking of letting go of my 17-55 cos it's too heavy for my body (D90) and get this instead... not sure whether that will be a great move though :confused:

the 15-55 f/2.8 is a super duper len!!!
u will nvr get the same bokeh effect with the 18-200

the 15-55 f/2.8 is a super duper len!!!
u will nvr get the same bokeh effect with the 18-200

17-55 is indeed a very good lens, very sharp.. I just find that i need more zoom + its a little bit heavy on the front side with d90.. i am still thinking about selling the lens as it is a keeper :)

Japan is selling the new version at 1.3k and the old 1 at 1k
i have a copy of the old version.
Yes, the lens do have creeping problem between 30mm to 100mm but u can easily solved it by using a cheap band or an o-ring.
According to reviews both the optics is the same.
I would never pay $300 just to solve the lens creep problem.
How often do you take photographs ponting vertically downwards?

u r quoting in S'pore dollars yah... that's a really decent pricing....

The Zoom creep occurs only when the lens is not fully retracted in 18mm. If you keep the lens anything above 18mm you'll most likely find it creeping when pointed down. There are a couple of ways to find the difference between these two (most people will still call the original 18-200mm a VRII due to the fact it's the second iteration of Nikon's Vibration Reduction). The easy way is to find the VR logo, if it's Red, it's the current version and if it's Golden color, then it's the new one with Zoom Lock. The second way is to find the obvious zoom lock switch. The third way is to look for the 1:3.5-5.6G wordings as the new one is marked as 1:3.5-5.6GII and the older one is simply marked as 1:2.5-5.6G.

Optically, the design hasn't changed much from the older one and I expect no difference between the two IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.