AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G

haha no problem. m thinking between 40mm and tam90mm now -.-

Well bro, all I'd say is just buy the one that you've got the budget right now and save up till you have the "next" budget for 90mm or even 105/150 macro lens for insect:light:...just don't "stress:faint:" yourself at any point of time on any of the/your hobby-camera-gears as it's not:nono:meaningful of the causes...agree bro???

Just purchase each piece at a comfortable time and $$budget$$ zone:thumbsup: will do, yah...hehe!!:cheers:

Well bro, all I'd say is just buy the one that you've got the budget right now and save up till you have the "next" budget for 90mm or even 105/150 macro lens for insect:light:...just don't "stress:faint:" yourself at any point of time on any of the/your hobby-camera-gears as it's not:nono:meaningful of the causes...agree bro???

Just purchase each piece at a comfortable time and $$budget$$ zone:thumbsup: will do, yah...hehe!!:cheers:

haha yup yup, m thinking now =).. will see whats the street price for 40mm and maybe a used tam90mm. and than compare

;pjuz check the price this afternoon, $330 and limited stock.....fair price?

If 3 or 4 pieces, I think your 35/1.8G (I see it in your signature) should be able to do the job? It focuses quite close.
3 or 4 pcs of action figures (12cm tall) sounds quite large, in which case a macro lens probably wouldn't be necessary.
i did try that too senior. the pix i took didn't turn out too well. i got a habit of blowing up my own pix on monitor in magnified mode so that i can admire the lines of the toys captured. it's really the man behind the camera haha but i'll try again. thanks for suggestion :)
Well, I don't see 'why not' as per your mentioned of 40cm Transformers...if using 90mm on 1.5x you really got to 'back-off':sweat: alot and need a "roomy-behind" for doing this...you see that...?!
my above mentioned help somehow...!!
thanks for reply, blueskye. the tammy 90mm is one of my fav and most used lens. my spare room used for photography is still quite empty. no problem was trying to explore different options and learn :)

my set up is something like this

thanks for reply, blueskye. the tammy 90mm is one of my fav and most used lens. my spare room used for photography is still quite empty. no problem was trying to explore different options and learn :)

Wow...simple yet nice table and set-up for your shoots...yes, if got "sufficient-behind" certainly is workable, glad you have it:thumbsup:...!!;)

Btw, will be posting some sample random "snap-shot" using :bigeyes:AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8......so do keep a look-out at "Abstracts and Still life" section:lovegrin:... !!

(**still wondering which is the most appropriate section to post as I think both sections deemed fit...pls guide if wrong...Thanks!!)

Last edited:
i did try that too senior. the pix i took didn't turn out too well. i got a habit of blowing up my own pix on monitor in magnified mode so that i can admire the lines of the toys captured. it's really the man behind the camera haha but i'll try again. thanks for suggestion :)

Your setup looks quite nice :)
For the distance that you're shooting from, it doesn't look like a macro lens is necessary. I'm quite sure that 35/1.8 can do the job. Your subject looks quite large.
You find that it's not sharp enough? Maybe post a sample image for viewing?

my 35mm is a really nice lens. didn't find my pictures sharp enough. i try to take and post. lately kinda bz with bb. so don't really take as much. also, spending too much time thinking of how to compose, which i m lacking greatly.

my current set up is slightly different from the pix i posted, which was taken in may. i've since expanded the backdrop structure to 3x3 columns and 4 of those cheap swivel arm lamps from Ikea. lately trying out light tent. thses pointers given by a fellow toy collector in a local toy forum. updated pix here

@blueskye, you bought the lens already?

Last edited:
@blueskye, you bought the lens already?

Ahh...Yup, that's right...and:vhappy:that I've made a very right choice of owning it and really:heart:every bits of it even till the puny screw lehhh...!!:bsmilie::sweatsm::bsmilie:

(will be posting up sample now @ Abstracts and Still Life - section...) Cheers, bro...see you over there...!!

Ahh...Yup, that's right...and:vhappy:that I've made a very right choice of owning it and really:heart:every bits of it even till the puny screw lehhh...!!:bsmilie::sweatsm::bsmilie:

(will be posting up sample now @ Abstracts and Still Life - section...) Cheers, bro...see you over there...!!

wow bro! mind sharing the price? pm also can =)

Can't wait to see...

blueskye168 said:

Cool! Good on ya!
Will wait for your pics.

Cool! Good on ya!
Will wait for your pics.

Hi Kevin, the sample snap-shots are UP already, bro;)...may go look see:bigeyes:look see...hehehe...!!:bsmilie:

Well, to me, it's a very:cool:lens cos it's rather small in size but Big in performance:heart:!!!

Just to share, I was quoted 350(w/o gst) @ cp today. Af-d 60mm f2.8; 600+, af-s 60mm f2.8; 880+

Hi Kevin, the sample snap-shots are UP already, bro...may go look see:bigeyes:look see...hehehe...!!:bsmilie:

Well, to me, it's a very:cool:lens cos it's rather small in size but Big in performance:heart:!!!

will take a look!
thanks! :thumbsup:

Just to share, I was quoted 350(w/o gst) @ cp today. Af-d 60mm f2.8; 600+, af-s 60mm f2.8; 880+

:what:without GST already selling at 350......so after GST =374.50:bsmilie::sweatsm::bsmilie:=what-a-joker and who's gonna buy from CP, huh...wondering:think:!!!