AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G

i'm also interested in this lens. was thinking of doing toy shoots, like various size of Transformers toys. currently already own a Tammy 90mm. can advice if this lens be appropriate too? my Transformers toys' size ranges between 12cm to 40cm in size. TIA, seniors :)

Might as well just use the tammy and shoot from further away ? :)

Unless you wanna go really close.

i did try, senior. the 90mm is really nice for 1 or 2 figure with half (toy)body shoots. sometimes wanna shoot more of 3 or 4 pcs of 12cm transformers for more 'action' like fighting.

being a noob, i'm still learning the shoots :)

somehow 40mm price is quite close to tammmy90mm hmm...

Hi, anyone can tell me how to take wide view on 18-200mm or 50mm lens???:))

i did try, senior. the 90mm is really nice for 1 or 2 figure with half (toy)body shoots. sometimes wanna shoot more of 3 or 4 pcs of 12cm transformers for more 'action' like fighting.

Well, I don't see 'why not' as per your mentioned of 40cm Transformers...if using 90mm on 1.5x you really got to 'back-off':sweat: alot and need a "roomy-behind":sweat: for doing this...you see that:bigeyes:...?!

Hope my above mentioned help somehow...!!;)

Hi, anyone can tell me how to take wide view on 18-200mm or 50mm lens???:))

Please :bigeyes:"ask" appropriately, bro.:) ( respect TS's tread-title...in this case...Thanks!!):cool:

Last edited:
wah thanks for sharing!! wonder if its enough to take insect anot hahahaha

I quite :nono:doubt so, not unless that particular insect/s are very tame types, I supposed lor...( right or wrong...I'm no insect expert...hehe:bsmilie:);)

Ideally for food production shot am I right.

Well, quite right I'd say...as still depends on what/:bigeyes:how-many-dishes within one frame, if not for this, I'd have given you a 100%:thumbsup: right...Patrick!!;)...:bsmilie:

uh. little late to the party but why would you use a TC with a 40mm lens...

The sales date for the new AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G officially starts today, 25th August 2011, Thursday.

The Recommended Retail Price for AF-S Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is S$429

this is RRP price, the shops will sell at a different price
don't forget to update the price guide

BBB!

i will try to get a unit and let you know what it can and cannot do ;)

Gosh...the $RRP$ is well over my expectations, for this DX_Micro...:(man...!!:angry:

Hopefully it'll be:bigeyes:much more lower-priced at shop/s:thumbsup:...if not, bye-bye to my this DX_micro-lens then...!!!

Btw, will be looking forward to the "what it can and cannot do"...Tia, bro ortega!! Cheers!!

Last edited:

If 3 or 4 pieces, I think your 35/1.8G (I see it in your signature) should be able to do the job? It focuses quite close.
3 or 4 pcs of action figures (12cm tall) sounds quite large, in which case a macro lens probably wouldn't be necessary.

I quite :nono:doubt so, not unless that particular insect/s are very tame types, I supposed lor...( right or wrong...I'm no insect expert...hehe:bsmilie:);)

He didn't say how big the insect was to be in the final image :)
35/1.8G also can take insect mah.... just very very small-looking that's all ;)

but seriously, yes I'd agree with you that to achieve the higher magnification that is typical of insect photography, the working distance would probably be uncomfortably near when using this 40mm lens.

Gosh...the $RRP$ is well over my expectations, for this DX_Micro...:(man...!!:angry:

Hopefully it'll be:bigeyes:much more lower-priced at shop/s:thumbsup:...if not, bye-bye to my this DX_micro-lens then...!!!

Btw, will be looking forward to the "what it can and cannot do"...Tia, bro ortega!! Cheers!!

a little birdie told me that the street price is close to that of the 35/1.8G DX, which makes it not bad.... :)

uh. little late to the party but why would you use a TC with a 40mm lens...

more magnification :)
1:1 not enough.... hehehehe
Or else wanna be a bit further (greater working distance) yet achieve 1:1 or over.

He didn't say how big the insect was to be in the final image :)
35/1.8G also can take insect mah.... just very very small-looking that's all ;)

but seriously, yes I'd agree with you that to achieve the higher magnification that is typical of insect photography, the working distance would probably be uncomfortably near when using this 40mm lens.

Haha...yup, if only the sizes-S,M,L of the insect was stated/mentioned...as to ease us for giving a more appropriate answer...(but luckyorange don't be misunderstood...as this are truly/purely discussion only, bro;)):cheers:

Hahahahaha np. I'm not sure about the size also. Haha just feel like doing macro shooting on insect. It's either the 40mm or tam90. Finally I got the budget haha.

a little birdie told me that the street price is close to that of the 35/1.8G DX, which makes it not bad.... :)

Ah-haa...at last...(don't mind PM me if it's inconvenient to disclose...Tia...!!) kindly update me on the birdie or body/shops that offer the $:thumbsup:$ of this new-baby...:bsmilie:

Tia, bro;)...:cheers:

If its close to the street price of a 35mm then cb roughly guess how much haha. Only thing is which shop.

Hahahahaha np. I'm not sure about the size also. Haha just feel like doing macro shooting on insect. It's either the 40mm or tam90. Finally I got the budget haha.

Hmm...to me, macro shooting of insects can be very interesting and challenging as well:D, and since you mentioned you: "Finally I got the budget haha":thumbsup:, then I supposed the chances of you getting this little-New-Baby:heart:is very high......just if don't mind can post some sample pics after you've got it, Tia bro...!!

Oops...yah, will post some pics if I ever own this lovely:heart:babe too...!!

Hmm...to me, macro shooting of insects can be very interesting and challenging as well:D, and since you mentioned you: "Finally I got the budget haha":thumbsup:, then I supposed the chances of you getting this little-New-Baby:heart:is very high......just if don't mind can post some sample pics after you've got it, Tia bro...!!

Oops...yah, will post some pics if I ever own this lovely:heart:babe too...!!

haha no problem. m thinking between 40mm and tam90mm now -.-