AF comfirm chip from ebay

robinlimkp

Feb 20, 2009
CCK
Like to get some lights and understand about AF chip that available on eBay. Any user used the chip with a manual lens on it before? (Samyang lens?)

Most of these chips just give your Alpha the ability to shoot with MF lens.

Pros:
1) Camera's AF system will confirm your Manual focusing.
2) Camera will "detect" a lens mounted and so allow shutter release.
3) Ability to use any legacy MF lens so long as you have the mount for it.

Cons:
1) You lost AF as well as Aperture control thru the camera.
2) Focal length EXIF data will be wrong unless the chip FL matches the Lens FL.
3) Aperture EXIF data will be wrong or missing.
4) Manual flash settings only as TTL will not work.

Ghostfit said:
Most of these chips just give your Alpha the ability to shoot with MF lens.

Pros:
1) Camera's AF system will confirm your Manual focusing.
2) Camera will "detect" a lens mounted and so allow shutter release.
3) Ability to use any legacy MF lens so long as you have the mount for it.

Cons:
1) You lost AF as well as Aperture control thru the camera.
2) Focal length EXIF data will be wrong unless the chip FL matches the Lens FL.
3) Aperture EXIF data will be wrong or missing.
4) Manual flash settings only as TTL will not work.

U try the chip on which lens?

I converted several of my Leica R lenses to alpha mounts about 2.5 years ago. The focus confirmation chip I am using is from this website, M42 M42-MAF/SONY alpha Adapter With Focus Confirmation. The chip is programmed to the focal length and aperture of the lens. This enables the A850 to store this as the exif data. The chip enables focus confirmation and optimizes Super Steady Shot. I was told without this chip, the A850 will default to a 50mm lens when using SSS. Obviously, SS will response differently when using a 35mm vs 200mm lens. I usually use A mode and the A850 meters accurately.

N.S. Ng

Which mean is highly recommend that the AF chip is program to the correct focal length to fully utilize SSS.

Just to add on to Bro Ghostfit...

Not all Alpha bodies require an AF chip to fire the shutter. More recent releases have the "Release without lens" option in the menu so do not need the AF chip for shutter release.

Most AF chip sellers do not have the capability to edit the chip to give you the correct FL to match your lens, instead giving you the default 50mm. While SSS for 50mm may not suffice for a 200mm or longer lens, it is nonetheless more than sufficient for FL up to 135mm, based on my own experience (but could vary for others). On another note, getting a chip with 50mm stored in it for the purpose of SSS is as good as not getting a chip, because your body would default to SSS based on 50mm anyway.

Some AF chips allows you to change the F-stop in A mode but do not be fooled. They won't change your actual aperture and you MUST always use the widest aperture provided by the chip for correct exposure, which Is F1.7 in most cases but F1.4 in some cases I came across.

The AF confirm part is not exactly 100% accurate. You will find a range of focus that gives you an "in-focus" beep or indicator but not all of them would give you correctly focused pictures. If you have live view or MF live view assist, use that instead. It will be far more accurate.

All in all, I have tried several variations of the AF chips but I don't really find them very useful unless you are using long lenses and have the option to edit the FL stored on the chip.

Last edited:
Velectron said:
Just to add on to Bro Ghostfit...

Not all Alpha bodies require an AF chip to fire the shutter. More recent releases have the "Release without lens" option in the menu so do not need the AF chip for shutter release.

Most AF chip sellers do not have the capability to edit the chip to give you the correct FL to match your lens, instead giving you the default 50mm. While SSS for 50mm may not suffice for a 200mm or longer lens, it is nonetheless more than sufficient for FL up to 135mm, based on my own experience (but could vary for others). On another note, getting a chip with 50mm stored in it for the purpose of SSS is as good as not getting a chip, because your body would default to SSS based on 50mm anyway.

Some AF chips allows you to change the F-stop in A mode but do not be fooled. They won't change your actual aperture and you MUST always use the widest aperture provided by the chip for correct exposure, which Is F1.7 in most cases but F1.4 in some cases I came across.

The AF confirm part is not exactly 100% accurate. You will find a range of focus that gives you an "in-focus" beep or indicator but not all of them would give you correctly focused pictures. If you have live view or MF live view assist, use that instead. It will be far more accurate.

All in all, I have tried several variations of the AF chips but I don't really find them very useful unless you are using long lenses and have the option to edit the FL stored on the chip.

Bro Velectron...

U have experience tried on Samsung 85mm lens? Also share some shot taken with af chip assist?

No I do not have that lens but it really doesn't make any significant difference. The operation of the chip is the same whichever lens you mount it on.

If you are thinking of using it on a Samyang with native Sony mount, I think you can just glue it to the mount.

Like in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/canons45/4505053114/

But for some chips with protrusion along the outer edge of the PCB, you need to make a notch in the mount to accomodate the chip.

Like in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/luchanjuan/6104660691/sizes/z/in/photostream/

Last edited:
For the focal length, the chip is program as 50mm. I am planning to get samyang 85mm/f1.4, so is better to have the chip program to 85mm or make no difference?

If can get seller to program to 85mm, that would be best, for correct EXIF and maybe slightly better SSS. But in terms of SSS, it doesn't really make much difference between 50mm and 85mm. You have to decide if the cost of programming (which can be expensive) is worth it for correct EXIF and maybe slightly better SSS. Your choice.

robinlimkp said:
For the focal length, the chip is program as 50mm. I am planning to get samyang 85mm/f1.4, so is better to have the chip program to 85mm or make no difference?

Which chip r u using? Care to share the ebay URL?

U try the chip on which lens?

All my MF lense.

You can order a chip with special preset EXIF for your samyang 85, refer: EXIF PRESET service | eBay

That will solve the FL issue, but you still will not have the correct aperture exif unless you only shoot at one aperture setting i.e: F1.7.
I've heard that James Lao from HK does custom chip programming for any settings you want.

All my MF lense.

You can order a chip with special preset EXIF for your samyang 85, refer: EXIF PRESET service | eBay

That will solve the FL issue, but you still will not have the correct aperture exif unless you only shoot at one aperture setting i.e: F1.7.
I've heard that James Lao from HK does custom chip programming for any settings you want.

Yah. I have tried that Ebay seller's chip before. He can change FL. Unless he is selling newer chips, otherwise you would need to cut a slot on your metal lens mount to accomodate the protrusion of the PCB.

As for James Lao's chip, I heard they are quite good but they are rather expensive.
M42 M42-MAF/SONY alpha Adapter With Focus Confirmation