AF 50mm f/1.8D for portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamberry

Feb 2, 2010
is AF 50mm f/1.8D lens suitable for taking portrait shots?

Yes.

And you could have found the answer by reading the forum a little more.

How u define suitable ?
IMHO, to me, bokeh from this lens not really pleasant

is AF 50mm f/1.8D lens suitable for taking portrait shots?

what is your definition of portrait? According to wikipedia, a portrait is a representation of a person, in which the face and its expression is predominant. How do you achieve that? Fill the frame predominantly with your subject's face. Can 50mm do that? yes of course, will it look good ergo will it give a good perspective?it depends, on full frame FX it will not, face will be distorted as you'll end up very near your subject if you are to fill the frame predominantly with the subject's face,but on cropped sensors cam DX it can. But if you research further, there is a seemingly general consensus that your subject being 2 meters away from you will give the best perspective, 50mm on a DX body seem to be near that range, but it shouldn't stop you from using it for portraits, those are just technicalities, you can be creative in your own way and besides 50mm is the cheapest prime you can get..i suggest you do further reading on the following terms to understand what i mean:

perspective
normal lens
crop factor
advantage of prime lens

Last edited:
50mm is generally said to be for portrait lens.. since its field of view is rather narrow (1.5x crop if u not in FF body).. so most of ur shots are head and shoulders only... unless u walk further la

its good lens to hv if u like to take photo of ur kids... actually if u ask me, its almost a 'must hv' lens if u got kids .. also since its cheap

however, i lazy to reverse myself too much la... so i planing to get 35mm rather... but i not sure the bokeh as nice or not leh? anyone can help me here too?

It's definitely fine for portraits.

lovely lens for shooting people. loved my 50mm on my d80 for streets as well.

ryan

50mm is generally said to be for portrait lens.. since its field of view is rather narrow (1.5x crop if u not in FF body).. so most of ur shots are head and shoulders only... unless u walk further la

its good lens to hv if u like to take photo of ur kids... actually if u ask me, its almost a 'must hv' lens if u got kids .. also since its cheap

however, i lazy to reverse myself too much la... so i planing to get 35mm rather... but i not sure the bokeh as nice or not leh? anyone can help me here too?

I using 35mm to take my kid.... can lar, not too ex also..... sometime at home, even 50mm also too long..... am waiting for it (50mm/f1.4) to drop further.... :rolleyes::lovegrin:

I using 35mm to take my kid.... can lar, not too ex also..... sometime at home, even 50mm also too long..... am waiting for it (50mm/f1.4) to drop further.... :rolleyes::lovegrin:

depands on ur house la.. if big big house with dining table seating 20 ppl then 50mm sure no problem..haha

Status
Not open for further replies.