AF 50/1.4D No Wordings on lens body!

wxsour

Aug 20, 2009
Hi all,

i just bought from a fellow CS-er a Nikon AF 50/1.4D and i found out that there were no "white words" on the body saying what lens is it. The focusing window has the relevant markings, and at the front of the lens, there are words, but on the body itself, nothing.
Is it normal? issit just due to age?

have 2 questions to ask,

if you know there was supposed to have word, that is very obvious, why did you not ask the seller?

if you don't know what lens it is, how did you buy?

Oh its clearly a 50mm/1.4 Did ask seller, he said he don't know. so i'm just wondering now if its just a cosmetic issue

from what i see on the net, this lens is supposed to have wording. it should also have an aperture ring - does yours come with aperture ring?

i am not a nikon user, wait for the nikon users who have used this before extensivley to reply if the wording comes off easily.

hi there are two version of the 50mm F1.4 older n newer 50mm F1.4D
if the wording on the front lens has the D version then u have the newer version. if however there is no D on the front part of the lens, then u got the older version.

Hi all,

i just bought from a fellow CS-er a Nikon AF 50/1.4D and i found out that there were no "white words" on the body saying what lens is it. The focusing window has the relevant markings, and at the front of the lens, there are words, but on the body itself, nothing.

Why don't you attach the pictures of this lens here, so that the others will understand more clearly before they can you further advice.

the front part of the wording do not wear off as easily as the side of the lens, if the front wording does not have the D by the F1.4 then yours is the older metallic version. Do note there are optical difference between the older tech Non D vs the newer tech D version.

This is a new Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4D
50_14D_01_s.jpg

the front part of the wording do not wear off as easily as the side of the lens, if the front wording does not have the D by the F1.4 then yours is the older metallic version. Do note there are optical difference between the older tech Non D vs the newer tech D version.

There are no optical differences, just D and non-D from the distance signal from the lens to the body.

Any other differences, if exist, would be due to manufacturing in Japan (non-D and early D) and China (D), or batch variation. The designs are identical.

Hi all,

Probably a lens that had seen more than it's fair share of action, and probably handled not too gently to get all the words on the body rubbed off, or worse, someone tried cleaning the lens with solvent and got them all off.

Hope the lens is not a lemon optically. If it performs it is alright, just next to no resale value.

Paint could easily peel off for heavy user. As long as the optics are fine and the price is right, it should be no problem. The only thing you have to worry is that it will be difficult to sell.

You might want to post the actual picture of the lens
note:
There are 4 AF versions of 50mm F1.4 (including the new AF-S)
3 AF versions of 50mm F1.8 (make sure it's not one of these) :bsmilie:
a total of 28 versions for 50mm (MF/AF, F1.2,F1.4,F1.8,F2) ;p

Paint could easily peel off for heavy user. As long as the optics are fine and the price is right, it should be no problem. The only thing you have to worry is that it will be difficult to sell.

You might want to post the actual picture of the lens
note:
There are 4 AF versions of 50mm F1.4 (including the new AF-S)
3 AF versions of 50mm F1.8 (make sure it's not one of these) :bsmilie:
a total of 28 versions for 50mm (MF/AF, F1.2,F1.4,F1.8,F2) ;p

Original AF 50/1.4
af5014.jpg

AF 50/1.4 New
afn5014.jpg

Then there is the AF 50/1.4D that coolthought posted, 2 versions, MIJ and MIC.

And there is AF-S 50/1.4G
afs5014.jpg

if its the body no words can be due to age. however the front element should still have nikon f1.4 50mm on its side...this should not wear out as it usually protected by filter

from what i see on the net, this lens is supposed to have wording. it should also have an aperture ring - does yours come with aperture ring?

yes it does:)

if the wording on the front lens has the D version then u have the newer version. if however there is no D on the front part of the lens, then u got the older version.

Should be D.. gotta check:)

Why don't you attach the pictures of this lens here, so that the others will understand more clearly before they can you further advice.

Ok Wilco:)

Ok, is the side wording that is missing Prob due to wear..

Thank you so much for all your advice, i'll try to upload a few pictures tonight! Thanks again everyone!;)

even my antique 50mm f1.4 made in 1960s(roughly) has clear wordings....
I'm juz rather curious how the previous owner used it...;p

Pre-AF lenses are engraved then paint over. AF lenses have words printed on them. All my pre-Ai, Ai and AiS lenses the wording are intact.

even my antique 50mm f1.4 made in 1960s(roughly) has clear wordings....
I'm juz rather curious how the previous owner used it...;p
don't think the wordings can be fade so easily, if it does well.....u know

I'm just thinking...
is there a serial number on the lens? :think:
possible to trace back if this is a local set from Nikon SG?

I'm just thinking...
is there a serial number on the lens? :think:
possible to trace back if this is a local set from Nikon SG?

Just check the serial number and you'll know which batch or series it came from.... :)

I just checked. Looks like i've really got the older version.:( Feeling rather lousy now. Should really have looked closer :( Regret my purchase..the seller was like refering to it as a 1.4D claiming he din know the diff.. So sad...

There are no optical differences, just D and non-D from the distance signal from the lens to the body.

Any other differences, if exist, would be due to manufacturing in Japan (non-D and early D) and China (D), or batch variation. The designs are identical.

What optical differences are there?:( and pardon me, but what does "just D and non-D from the distance signal from the lens to the body" mean?

Just check the serial number and you'll know which batch or series it came from.... :)

How do it do it?? i cant seem to find the s/no anywhere..:(