AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC Tamron VERSUS 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

macasuero

May 10, 2009
Singapore
Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie here.I'm planning to upgrade my kit lens and eyeing on these two lens. If you are to choose, what would you pick and why? I hope to get a lot of opinions here. Please help. Suggestions and opinions are very much welcome. :p

Thanks in advance.

Why do you have now anyway??? You know one is a FF and the other is a Crop (DX) Lens right...? I would pick the 70~300mm. Its great on a FX and DX. I already have the 18~200mm. :-}

Last edited:
I'm a newbie here.I'm planning to upgrade my kit lens and eyeing on these two lens. If you are to choose, what would you pick and why? I hope to get a lot of opinions here. Please help. Suggestions and opinions are very much welcome. :p

First, one of these lenses will replace the kit lens, the other one will compliment. Already something to consider. Secondly, larger zoom ranges (difference between the minimum and maximum focal length) will always come with trade-offs in image quality. Have a look at the various review pages (dpreview.com; photozone.de and see how the lenses have done in the tests. The maximum aperture at the long end is only f/6.3, that calls for a sunny day o higher ISO, especially when you need to stop down in order to get really sharp images.
Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465404

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

Your choice of lens will depend on what you want to do with the lens. If you want a versatile lens that can do it all go for the 18-270. The advantages are that you get a massive zoom range, this lens can be on your camera all the time and would be my choice for travelling light with only one lens. The tradeoffs are 6.3 max apperture at 270 mm (so shooting in low light situations will be tricky) & increased probability of flare in some lighting situations.
The 70-300 will not be useful in all situations, but will not have the trade offs mentioned for the Tamron. The one F stop increase could be the difference between getting your shot & missing it in low lighting situations.
Since you say you want to replace your kit lens, I am assuming that this will be the only lens you will use. From that perspective the reach and versatility of the 18-270 Tamron is hard to beat. However if you already have a 18-55 lens, consider the Nikkor 70-300.

Hi perhaps you need to see what other lens u have and then you can decide which lens to get next. If you already have something for between 10mm to 70mm then I recommend the 70-300 VR, no regrets buying this lens till now. Attached an image below. See for yourself.

Man.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.