AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO for Nikon: Hands-on review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybearbrick

Nov 16, 2004

The TAMRON AF 18-270mm F/3.5-5.6 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO Lens (BOO3NII for Nikon-mount) needs no further introduction with already a long discussion here. This lens is available for both Canon and Nikon mount. This lens works on D40/D40x/D60 (tested). Thanks to a friend, I am privileged to compare this lens with his Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR II. My friend was convinced to trade away his Nikon and I finally got myself a superzoom lens; we both got this TAMRON B003NII lens.
I did a short write-up of my experience with this lens.
Read about it here.

PROS
1. Convenient 15x zoom range covering wide-angle (18mm) to telephoto (270mm).
2. Better IQ than the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm VR.
3. Comfortable compact size.
4. Very effective VC and better (IMHO) than Nikon's VRII and definitely better that Nikon's VRI.
5. Short MFD for close-up shooting.
6. 3 years local warranty (Singapore).
CONS
1. Slow aperture.
2. Slow 2-4 seconds for AF lock confirmation in low light.
3. Pseudo-MACRO is acceptable when not pixel-peeping and focus-shifts when stopped down.
4. Sloppy and loose feel of the focus ring during MF.
5. Short travel on the focus ring makes MF difficult.
6. Long travel of the the zoom ring makes zooming from 18-270mm in one turn of the wrist difficult.

Despite its short-comings and pitfalls of being a slow lens with slow indecisive AF, IMO, the extra range and much better VC outweighs the flaws. I was more decisive in getting this TAMRON 18-270 VC than when deciding on getting the Nikon AF-S 18-200 VR II during its debut (which I never bought eventually). Dpreview's lens review recommended this lens while the Nikon AF-S 18-200 VR II was recommended with reservations. A look at their test charts shows that on paper, the TAMRON is tad sharper than the Nikon's. Nevertheless, the Nikon still wins by having a SWM. This lens is not for serious work but sure is a remarkable walkabout, travel and all-in-one lens. TAMRON calls this lens "The Ultimate All-In-One Zoom: Longest, Steadiest Lens On Earth", I have to agree with them on that. Though the price is close to that of Nikon AF-S 18-200 VR II, but if you take advantage of the current promotion, you only have to pay S$800* for this lens with 3 years warranty.
*S$100 rebate in Tangs voucher

At 18mm
Tamron-B003NII-Test-FL-Ap-001.JPG

At 200mm and 270mm
Tamron-B003NII-Test-FL-Ap-016.JPG
Tamron-B003NII-Test-FL-Ap-019.JPG

At MFD=0.49m
Tamron-B003NII-Test-Samples-042.JPG

At low light, 270mm with VC, shot at 1/10s handheld
Tamron-B003NII-Test-Samples-038.JPG

Evening shot at 18mm, 1/20s handheld with VC
Tamron-B003NII-Test-Samples-062.JPG

Evening shot at 270mm, 1/20s with VC
Tamron-B003NII-Test-Samples-061.JPG

Seeing new things that I never expected to see
I am always at the temple roof but little did I realise that there glass spheres on the pagoda bears an image of the surrounding buildings.
Tamron-B003NII-Test-Samples-049.JPG

All my test shots with the AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO lens can be found in my write-up here.

Last edited:
MACRO F6.3 at MFD=0.49m
AF-area on alphabets "TION" of "VIBRATION"
Tamron-B003NII-MACRO-Test-01.JPG

MACRO F8 at MFD=0.49m, 100% Crop
AF-area on alphabets "iko" of "Nikon"
Tamron-B003NII-MACRO-Test-04.jpg

Nice review. I am really excited abt this lens too few weeks back. But after seeing many pics from this lens i feel that IMHO the blue of this lens is abit out and the overall color is way too "cool". I owned the Nikon 18-200 and previously the sigma 18-200. I also conclude that the sigma is shaper at center and the build is better. However the warm cast on the photo made me sell away the sigma and get the Nikon. I find that the Nikon is sharp enough for me and have a better overall color. Thats mine own preferences. :D

Nice review. I am really excited abt this lens too few weeks back. But after seeing many pics from this lens i feel that IMHO the blue of this lens is abit out and the overall color is way too "cool". I owned the Nikon 18-200 and previously the sigma 18-200. I also conclude that the sigma is shaper at center and the build is better. However the warm cast on the photo made me sell away the sigma and get the Nikon. I find that the Nikon is sharp enough for me and have a better overall color. Thats mine own preferences. :D

i agree that there is a blue cast, probably because no processing of color cast and did not convert the AdobeRGB profile to sRGB during uploading.
nevertheless, I agree that this lens does not have the obvious yellow cast from the Sigma 18-200mm (I assume u are refering to the non-OS version). I have tried the Sigma 18-200mm before as well.
shall try putting some pictures into photoshop and see if I can tweak the colors.
you got an excellent point there.

The sigma i tried is the latest one with OS, HSM and 72mm diameter..

Did simple color correction in MS Photo Editor:
tamronb003niitestflap02vq2.jpg

tamronb003niitestsampleoy5.jpg

Last edited:
The sigma i tried is the latest one with OS, HSM and 72mm diameter..

didn't get to try the OS version, but now that u mentioned it. seems like it inherited the warm cast of its predecessor.

Did I mention that the TAMRON VC does not consumes as much power as the Nikon VR?

Yes, since I am using D200 which is famous for being very power-hungry,
power is very precious.
Might not be a fair judgement, but the Nikon VR I (AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR) saps much more energy out than the TAMRON VC (AF 18-270mm VC).
I will usually finish a full capacity ENEL3e within a day with Nikon VR I (AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR) , while the same capacity can last for at least 2 days with the TAMRON VC (AF 18-270mm VC).
I apologize for the lack of figures to back my claim, since I observe this based on past shooting occasions.
I wonder if anyone saw a difference between TAMRON VC and Nikon VR II (AF-S 18-200mm VR)?

Why compare a VRI to VC.... the technology was made 5years back, where VC doesn't exist.

Hi!
Am considering between Tamron 17-50mm and Tamron 18-270mm for my second lens. My current ste up are D200 with Nikon 50mm f: 1.8. Looking at getting it by this week, kindly advice and also provide prices and where about to get it. Bad times so can only decide on one or the other. TIA!

PS: Looking for used MB200 grip with AA holder, kindly let me know if anyone selling. Thanks!

Hi!
Am considering between Tamron 17-50mm and Tamron 18-270mm for my second lens. My current ste up are D200 with Nikon 50mm f: 1.8. Looking at getting it by this week, kindly advice and also provide prices and where about to get it. Bad times so can only decide on one or the other. TIA!

PS: Looking for used MB200 grip with AA holder, kindly let me know if anyone selling. Thanks!
if u buy the 17-50, you will still want a telephoto or travel lens.
if you buy a 18-270, i doubt you will buy the 17-50 already. *(not that 17-50 is no good or not necessary, but you might not get used to without the convenience of 15x zoom, f/2.8 is still very desirable!! 17-50 AF lock much much faster than 18-270)
just kindly call up a few popular camera shops to check latest prices,
for tamron 18-270 which I got recently, try not to pay more than 930 for this lens.

i got a 3rd party grip to play with and since then hardly use it. personally, i prefer it off.
i would say grip be on your lowest priority, better off spend the $$ on getting a spare batt.

Last edited:
Wanted to get this len also for my up coming US trip. May I know when will the $100 Tangs promotion end ?

Apparently I think is before 17th January 2009, if I am not wrong suppose to pick it up from agent.

STRICTLY NO TRIPODS ALLOWED!

Nevertheless, "VC" saved the day!

more pictures of this series here

mail delivery on Saturday?
a courier sent me the S$100 Tangs Voucher!
Woohoo!

Tangs-Voucher.jpg

The voucher is valid for 2 years till Jan 2011.

hi,
great review and pics look great!
Wonder if the quality is the same for the canon mount?

hi,
great review and pics look great!
Wonder if the quality is the same for the canon mount?
I do not use Canon, but you can always try it out yourself at the shops.
You can request to play with the EF-S 18-200mm IS too.
I did that against the Nikon version and choose the TAMRON.

But imo, I think there should be not much difference in Nikon or Canon mount. (do not quote me on that)

Also depends what body you use.
On older bodies such as EOS350d or EOS300d,
the quality is fantastic, probably due to the lower resolving power, such that it does not 'amplify' any 'flaws'.
I tried this on a D40 (6MP), and its sharpness is unrivalled!
most importantly is to try it with your body at the shops.

Putting the TAMRON B003 to a Challenge!
Even under bright daylight,
no amount of "VC" can compensate for the erratic fast movement of the animal.
While high ISO has provision for the use of a faster shutter speed,
the lack of a SWM-equivalent ultrasonic motor does not allow split-second changes in focusing.

Nevertheless, a static pose from "Ah Seng" sitting up on a tree makes a perfect subject!
Made possible attributed to the 270mm focal length!

Status
Not open for further replies.