Advise on taking photo graphy in Winter period

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeshiwei

Dec 14, 2008
hi guys,

Have plans to go korea during jan period ( winter period)
Understand the temperature is less than -10 degree during this period.

I have intention to bring along my canon 400d, and 2 lens ( 18~55mm & 55mm~250mm)
to take a Winter scenery.
Guess might encounter some scene that requires me to use the telephoto lens.
May need to interchange lens.

- Wonder is it advisable to interchange lens during outdoor?
- any precaution to make during the changing period.
:nono: :dunno:

Read that we need to keep the camera in the bag to avoid " lens freeze"

Try to keep your batteries warm (in your pants pocket, for example) and dial in positive exposure compensation if everywhere around you is white. Try to not get your camera too wet also.

hi guys,

I have intention to bring along my canon 400d, and 2 lens ( 18~55mm & 55mm~250mm)
to take a Winter scenery.
Guess might encounter some scene that requires me to use the telephoto lens.
May need to interchange lens.

- Wonder is it advisable to interchange lens during outdoor?
- any precaution to make during the changing period.
:nono: :dunno:

Read that we need to keep the camera in the bag to avoid " lens freeze"

You may find answer in this thread...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437946

I am going to korea with my Canon also this Dec(End)...I can then tell you my experience...when are you going? I will only be back on first week of Jan 08:)

Try to keep your batteries warm (in your pants pocket, for example) and dial in positive exposure compensation if everywhere around you is white. Try to not get your camera too wet also.

Thanks for your information. will take note on the batt conditions as well as the camera setting conditions.

i believe the most important thing is to keep my camera and lens dry.

The concern primarily is the battery.

Under cold weather stress, your camera MAY perform a millisecond slower than expected. For example from standby to awake may not be instantaneous.
As for so-called 'lens freeze' doubt will happen. My cameras had been exposed to sub-zero conditions continuously for a couple of hours at a go whenever I head for my winter break. No problem.

As for changing lenses, just make sure u stand with ur back against the wind and face ur camera downwardsto prevent droplets of flying snow and ice from hitting the insides of the camera. Pretty much common sense.

And when moving from cold places to warm places (like heading back to ur hotel), condensation will occur. Just leave ur camera on ur hotel table for a couple of minutes (or hours), take a warm shower, freshen up and when you're done with your beauty bath, ur camera would have probably 'readjusted' back to the regular temperature.

Cameras these days are quite hardy, and not to mention we're talking about DSLR here. It can take a small amount of punishment for sure, a little rain droplets, a bit of snow, sub-zero conditions won't kill it outright. Don't think too much about it since it will just probably cause you undue worry and stress. Just concentrate on your photo.

You may find answer in this thread...
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437946

I am going to korea with my Canon also this Dec(End)...I can then tell you my experience...when are you going? I will only be back on first week of Jan 08:)

Thanks! hmm.. seems like quite a number of things need to take note.
"-Limit your equipments exposure to cold weather as much as you can.
- Carry camera close to body,
- Change lenses quickly and preferably inside your car. quote from one of the article "

I am going on the 27th Jan for abt a week. lookg forward to hear from your experience.
... :thumbsup:

Another one? Really need a sticky right on top with very obvious titles.

This must be the nth thread already about camera in winter?

why doesnt anyone ask about desert dust, beach sand, tropical smoke or even artic winds....they are also nice destinations in december.

Not sure whether know or not but do buy insurance if bringing expensive stuff like camera overseas. And also bring a backup camera.

Last edited:
Your lcd screen might respond a lot slower under low temperatures as well.

hi guys,

I was in China at temperature -20c with my 20D and survived. The important things to take note are:

1. Avoid sudden change in temperature, eg: moving from cold outdoor into a warm room, because condensation is bad for your camera and lenses.

2. Cold temperature will shorten the battery life, so need to keep the it warm all the time, perhaps keep them inside your side pockets at all time.

3. And also not to forget to wear a pair of warm gloves, because it is very uncomfortable to operate your camera with your frozen fingers.

Yup, these advice should set you straight. During my trip in Iceland I too had to watch for condensation so drove my car with no heater despite driving the latest model :) Its not that cold if you are wearing the right stuff, its only freezing when you face wind, blowing snow and rain (can forget an umbrella in Scandinavia).

I used to live in Korea so if I may add :

- Its not that cold :p But really, wear something warm, beanies, gloves(!), socks, better for you to be comfortable taking pictures than inside treating a cold.
- Bring good hiking shoes to avoid slippery floors, no sneakers (I'm assuming you're going off road).
- If you're climbing mountains then don't carry too much, I use an excellent camera bag (Godwin Advance) which I use to hold my water bottle, towel and camera. I only used one lens (18-55) throughout but if I had more then I think I would only take at most one more lens, carrying light is key.
- My bag was also excellent for maintaining the temperature of the camera while moving between places. Some people use sealed plastic bags to do this, I actually brought one but never used it because the camera bag was enough. Just don't expose the camera to warm places (and vice versa) straight after coming from a cold one.
- I'm not sure if you need the 55-200 as there are no insects or flowers to look at during the winter around the mountain areas, but if you're also taking a tripod then I guess you must be serious about this!
- Use the tripod to beat off the drunken ajosshi, j/k :)
- You can hire mobile phones from the airport for the duration of your holiday, phone calls are not expensive but may come in useful contacting other people and friends if you have any.
- My battery is unusually durable and long lasting as I already had my camera for 2 years before, however I would advice you to keep at least 2 batteries. Cold weather does affect battery life as it did to me during my night shots in Iceland as I used the LCD more and took longer shots more as well (30 second exposure).
- Bring your filters etc if you're shooting in the day with the sun out, I never had any but wish I did. Day light is plentiful unlike in Europe where it can be just 4 hours sometimes.
- Take a million photos, even if they aren't all artistic, just have fun!

I loved every country I've been through and Korea was no exception.

Another one? Really need a sticky right on top with very obvious titles.
This must be the nth thread already about camera in winter?
why doesnt anyone ask about desert dust, beach sand, tropical smoke or even artic winds....they are also nice destinations in december.
Not sure whether know or not but do buy insurance if bringing expensive stuff like camera overseas. And also bring a backup camera.

buy insurance? hmm think insurance company might not cover it unless its the very expensive type. ..

for me i may not be too concern with beach or tropic areas as the temperature is within the range the camera can with stand.
guess most of us are quite concern of our cameras in extreme temperature that may damage our cam/ lens. :)

[QUOTE=jsbn;4611342]The concern primarily is the battery.

Under cold weather stress, your camera MAY perform a millisecond slower than expected. For example from standby to awake may not be instantaneous.
As for so-called 'lens freeze' doubt will happen. My cameras had been exposed to sub-zero conditions continuously for a couple of hours at a go whenever I head for my winter break. No problem.

As for changing lenses, just make sure u stand with ur back against the wind and face ur camera downwardsto prevent droplets of flying snow and ice from hitting the insides of the camera. Pretty much common sense.

And when moving from cold places to warm places (like heading back to ur hotel), condensation will occur. Just leave ur camera on ur hotel table for a couple of minutes (or hours), take a warm shower, freshen up and when you're done with your beauty bath, ur camera would have probably 'readjusted' back to the regular temperature.

Cameras these days are quite hardy, and not to mention we're talking about DSLR here. It can take a small amount of punishment for sure, a little rain droplets, a bit of snow, sub-zero conditions won't kill it outright. Don't think too much about it since it will just probably cause you undue worry and stress. Just concentrate on your photo.[/QUOTE]

sorry for late responds . thx a lot for your infor. :)
I agreed that the bottom line is not be too concern with weather though. jus simply watch out the necc practice/ and proper camera technique to use when taking photo and after taking. Then Enjoy the whole process of taking great photos of the "Snow-filled sceneries"
:thumbsup:

Hi All,

Thank you very much the information/ advise/ personal experience
as well as camera techniques when taking photos in winter places.
1) Keep Batt warm , due to very cold temp batt performance slow by millisecs , & gets drain easily
2) Avoid sudden change from cold place to warm place, will cause condensation to lens.
3) Keep hand / fingers warm >> cold/ hardened fingers will not be able to take good phots :)
4) Keep you back pack or travel bag like.
5) Keep your camera in bag when no use to avoid to expose long hours in the cold weather.
6) Bring along a tripod to support.
Lastly and Most importantly is to enjoy the whole trip , take a lots of photos and enjoy the winter where we cant find it in Singapore haha
Will make good use of the information above, shll share my "harvest" when im back from my trip. :)
Hope this thread is also helpful to others who have similar questions as mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.