Advise on EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbooster

Apr 26, 2008
East
Hi

I am thinking of acquiring the above lens after reading it's ability to create creamy bokeh and the rest of it. Currently shooting with my 24-105 on 40D for portraits of my boys aged 5,3 and 1. I will surely be switching to FF as soon as a 5D replacement is out. So below are my questions and thank you for your patience if it's been asked to death before ;)

1) The only other lens that i have now is the 10-22 which is great for landscape. If you are contemplating parting with $3K for the above, what would you have rather bought?

2) My handholding skills are pretty ok , but for bros who has this lens, what is your hit rate for fast moving children in both outdoor and indoor without flash? Heard the extreme shallow DOF is very unforgiving. If so then this lens is out liao.

3) In case i am in the dark here. Are there any lens from the SIGMA and TAMRON camp that will make the above run for the $? If so, how reliable are they? I hate running to n fro service centres for warranty claims.... hehe

Ok that's it. Hope someone will intervene, object or encourage.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards.

I have use both the version1 & version 2 of this lens. Let me try to give my take:

1. This is a lens that you need to try it yourself to realise the capability, and there is no other lens that equal the bokeh effect it can produce. So if that is what you're after, go for it. To be on the safe side, if you can rent/borrow one to try it over a weekend before committing if this is your cup of tea, that is probably safer.

2. Version 1 AF is slow, Version 2 AF is much faster, but still slow compare to 24-105 that you have. DOF is extremely shallow at 1.2, and not suitable for capturing action/moving subject, because the AF & DOF will means you will not get high hit rate. However, every child will have slow/quiet moment, and this is when the lens will shine.

3. There isn't any good Tamron/Sigma lens that's close to this, by far. The closest is probably the EF85 1.8 from Canon themself. You will get to a pretty good bokeh/sharpness, but nothing near the 1.2 effect still, but with faster AF.

From my personal experience, 30-40% of my pict of my 2 active kids I print/enlarge/frame, are from 85 1.2, though I do have a lot other lens with me, it convince me it's a worthwhile spend for me (however, I got mine second hand at a pretty decent price). Check on the Pbase on pict taken with 85 1.2, and if you can, borrow/rent one to try out. My personal preference is it's definitely worth it.

To TS: Have you also considered the EF 85mm f1.8? Its also lighter and much faster focusing than the 1.2L II, which makes it more ideal to photograph your kids. Bokeh is decent, of course not of the same league of the L but good enough I feel for normal portraits, candids and stuff.

not to mention that the F1.8 is 4-5x less expensive than the 1.2..
count.gif

To TS: Have you also considered the EF 85mm f1.8? Its also lighter and much faster focusing than the 1.2L II, which makes it more ideal to photograph your kids. Bokeh is decent, of course not of the same league of the L but good enough I feel for normal portraits, candids and stuff.

count.gif
Yes thanks for mentioning it, I forgot to say also. lol.

In my opinion, the 85mm f1.8 gives 80% of the IQ of the 1.2LII at only ~20% of its cost. Except for the bokeh (1.2L still is untouchable in this area), and the CA problem wide open, its a darn good lens for its price.

I have use both the version1 & version 2 of this lens. Let me try to give my take:

1. This is a lens that you need to try it yourself to realise the capability, and there is no other lens that equal the bokeh effect it can produce. So if that is what you're after, go for it. To be on the safe side, if you can rent/borrow one to try it over a weekend before committing if this is your cup of tea, that is probably safer.

2. Version 1 AF is slow, Version 2 AF is much faster, but still slow compare to 24-105 that you have. DOF is extremely shallow at 1.2, and not suitable for capturing action/moving subject, because the AF & DOF will means you will not get high hit rate. However, every child will have slow/quiet moment, and this is when the lens will shine.

3. There isn't any good Tamron/Sigma lens that's close to this, by far. The closest is probably the EF85 1.8 from Canon themself. You will get to a pretty good bokeh/sharpness, but nothing near the 1.2 effect still, but with faster AF.

From my personal experience, 30-40% of my pict of my 2 active kids I print/enlarge/frame, are from 85 1.2, though I do have a lot other lens with me, it convince me it's a worthwhile spend for me (however, I got mine second hand at a pretty decent price). Check on the Pbase on pict taken with 85 1.2, and if you can, borrow/rent one to try out. My personal preference is it's definitely worth it.

Incidentally, you already sold both the mk I and mk II away. :bsmilie:

Hey Chopper,

Tks for your insight. Except when on holidays, i take mostly portraits of my kids and friends. Absolutely no studio work... yet. Hope to make an informed decision before the plunge for this important focal length. Looks like the 1.2 may be overkill for me afterall.

Btw, i have no idea where i can go about renting. No such luck for borrowing. Can PM me the contact for rental? Tks!

Hey Garion,

Point taken. Will try both 1.8 and 1.2 and decide. If 1.8 is indeed sufficient for my application, then can start researching for another lens from the $ saved.....;)

count.gif

Hey PingPongSong,

Are you by any chance a huge fan of enrique iglesias?

Yeah, if i can save some, will certainly do so by going for the 1.8

However, knowing me knowing you, i always try to find out if i desire the absolute there is out there or can settle for 2nd best. Coz if it's the former, i will end up wasting more $ from my previous experience.

Incidentally, you already sold both the mk I and mk II away. :bsmilie:

Wah, looks like he has found another fav lens then. Hey chopper, so what is your fav lens now for portraits?

Oh forgot to ask. At the same price as the above, are there any zoom lens worth considering that will create at least 70-80% of the bokeh of the 1.2 or 1.8?

Once again tks for your inputs.

My handholding skills are pretty ok , but for bros who has this lens, what is your hit rate for fast moving children in both outdoor and indoor without flash? Heard the extreme shallow DOF is very unforgiving. If so then this lens is out liao.
Hi airbooster, the 85/1.2Ls are not for fast moving children regardless of indoor or outdoor, with or without flash. The AF is rather slow and coupled with the shallow DOF at f/1.2, your keeper rate will be seriously affected. If you are fixed on the 85mm focal length, the 85/1.8 is the best one for your intended use. AF is among the fastest and 1.8 is more forgiving and still gives very good bokeh.

If you really wish to rent to try it out for yourself, can try rental companies/services such as http://www.camerarental.biz/canon.php. Btw, I'm not advertising for them, just helping you find one that has both the 85/1.2II and 85/1.8 for rent.

This is shot at F1.2....hand hold. Cat is moving and turning head most of the time. (No post porcessing done, resized only)
S6C9112_jpg.jpg

at 100% crop
S6C911_100.jpg

Shot at F1.6 Cat sleeping
S6C9047.jpg

at 100% crop
S6C9047_100.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah.. 85L is my dream lens but I have tried it once before buying and the AF is really slow. Unless the subject is stationary, you would have a hard time getting the AF locked. But once you got the right focus, the result is amazing.. drool.. it's shines well in low light condition, e.g. your boys bedroom, playground at night etc.

The 85 1.8 on the other hand is fast, lighter and cheap. I got a 2nd hand for about $350. Unless you got money to burn or do this for a living, I would suggest getting the 1.8 instead.

Here's 2 pics with the 85 1.8 on 5D.
2617502425_ce1339140e.jpg

2504572657_596f0ff0bf.jpg

bigshock.gif
any post processes done?

based on your pix, the 85mmF1.8 is more than enuf liao lor..

ps: the ice-cream looks delicious too

Yup.. the usual stuff like USM and S curve to bump up the saturations and contrast.
But the bokeh is real. The light cream shot is taken at Changi Airport Terminal 3, the lighting is low but the 1.8 is still able to handle it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.