Advise needed for a newbie regarding lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneclick

Dec 4, 2009
www.talkingprint.com
Hi guys!

I'm new to DSLR, just gotten myself a Nikon D5000, I am interested in taking far shots of scenery, which model of lens should i look into?
:embrass:

Thanks a lot!! :D
thailia

Last edited:
Your lens kit, or any other lens which start at 18 or 24mm, is usually good enough.

What do you mean by "far shots" of scenery?

In scenery, you want to take the 3D aspect of the subject. For example you want to take picture of a forest. There are some objects there, for example the trees, the grass, the sunrays fall between the branches, etc. To picture those objects, you need a wide angle lens which shows the relative position between objects. You will be able to see that, for example, in between the trees there are grass, the tree's root protruding from the ground, the falling sunrays between the branches, etc.

If you mean that you want to capture far subjects, you would need a telephoto lens. But beware that when a telephoto lens brings a subject closer, it is also flatenned the subject's 3D appearance. Thus if you take a photo of a forest from afar using a telephoto lens, you will see the trees, of course. But you will loose the details regarding the distance between your objects and your photo will look flat.

My two cents.

Last edited:
oh thanks! Now i understand.. :D will play with my kit lens further first..

the kits lens for D5000 : 18-55mm is good enough for wide angle pics of scenery ..those UWA (ultra wide angle) lens like 12-24mm will cost around 1k..may be overbudget if you are just starting out in this hobby :)

Wide angle is what u are asking abt. BUT...your kit lens is also able to take some form of wide angle. play around with it first.

wide angles aren't cheap. probably going to cost abt the price of ur camera itself. for a good one that is.

Wide angle is what u are asking abt. BUT...your kit lens is also able to take some form of wide angle. play around with it first.
wide angles aren't cheap. probably going to cost abt the price of ur camera itself. for a good one that is.

Just a stupid question from me, what is the term "some form of wide angle" ? Because as far as I understand, which might be wrong, in DX lenses 18mm is already wide angle.

The one that is relatively expensive is the Ultra wide angle, which is usually referred to focal length of 16mm and below (in DX), or 24mm and below (in FF).

My two cents...

Just a stupid question from me, what is the term "some form of wide angle" ? Because as far as I understand, which might be wrong, in DX lenses 18mm is already wide angle.

Standard wide: 35mm on full frame
Wide: 24-35mm on full frame
UWA: <24mm on full frame

Standard wide: 35mm on full frame
Wide: 24-35mm on full frame
UWA: <24mm on full frame

so the correct sentence should be "the kit lens is a wide angle lens already", not "the kit lens can take some form of wide angle" :)

if you have the cash to buy, rent first if you dont intend to use the lens that often.

by the way, what kind of lens are good for macro for insects> budget probably not more than 300-400? i don mind 2nd hand though.. :)

Check out Tamaron 90 macro. Seem like it is on par with my N105. =(

by the way, what kind of lens are good for macro for insects> budget probably not more than 300-400? i don mind 2nd hand though.. :)

Thats a overstatement, N105VR is one notch better imo as i used both before :)

To TS : for tat budget, u can only consider Tammy 90 or an 2nd hand Nikon AFD 105f2.8

Thats a overstatement, N105VR is one notch better imo as i used both before :)

To TS : for tat budget, u can only consider Tammy 90 or an 2nd hand Nikon AFD 105f2.8

okie..! what about any 100-200 bucks macro lens? any? asking on behalf for my friend..i doubt have ... LOL! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
okie..! what about any 100-200 bucks macro lens? any? asking on behalf for my friend..i doubt have ... LOL! :bsmilie:

Have, if u still can find in the used market. :)

55mm f3.5 AI micro

Alternatively , to stretch ur friend budget to 250 can get a AF 50mm1.8D coupled with a Raynox DCR-250 for a cheaper macro setup..

See this

Vivitar for the win. IF you can find the right one.

umm dun mind a noob question...how does one know that whether a lens is for full-frame and another is not?

umm dun mind a noob question...how does one know that whether a lens is for full-frame and another is not?

Depends on the lens. It's usually also explained in detail on the manufacturer site.

Sony calls their APS-C lenses "DT". Sigma calls it's full-frame lenses "DG". It depends on the lens brand, and then you can just look it up on the manufacturer website.

Status
Not open for further replies.