Advice Please :)

one more question! is a dry box or cabinet a must?

not if you are staying in a very dry country... or if you store your camera in places with a humidity level of 40%... or if your room aircon is on all the time...

cheaper alternatives are a airtight box with silica gel... but then that one may not be 100% sure.. but then again.. nothing in life is 100% sure...

Is recommended.

On budget = Dry Box
No Budget = cabinet

Store your gear in those when not using to prevent fungus growing. Although fungus wont grow with few days:bsmilie:

Generally give yourself some time to give your camera good workout in different settings. From there, you may come across a few instances where your gears are inadequate. Only then you would go out and buy to add on.

Don't just go out and buy something simply because someone say buy this or buy that. They mean well and will advise based on what they need. Go out and take more photos and post here. We can review your photos together and then advise you again. :cool:

thanks for the advice! i shall go out there and shoot some this weekend and seek the advice of you seniors! ;)

Generally give yourself some time to give your camera good workout in different settings. From there, you may come across a few instances where your gears are inadequate. Only then you would go out and buy to add on.

Don't just go out and buy something simply because someone say buy this or buy that. They mean well and will advise based on what they need. Go out and take more photos and post here. We can review your photos together and then advise you again. :cool:

a huge thanks to everyone that advised! i am really surprised at the kind response from fellow members and am really thankful for that!

haha if u dun wan to have fungus growing on your lens. Yes. But fungus will not grow in a short time. If u have a budget to keep, get a dry box or, try to do a make shift kind - like air tight box with silica gel (u can get them from diaso).

if not, den get a dry cabinet. Dry cabi or akarui or aipo - ranked in this order too for quality and cost. they have varying sizes too. i will recommend dry-cabi 30L though. cheap and good for beginners.

Last edited:
Hi All!

I just bought an Olympus E450 with kit len and this is my first dslr :)

My question is with regards to the filters, like UV filter and all.

What should or do I need to get for the dslr?

Thanks in advance and hoping to learn more from you guys!

I never used a UV filter for my kit lens, but I always have the lens hood on. The CPL filter I bought is also hardly used, but quite fun when you get the hang of it.

If you have any questions about your camera, you can post on the Four Thirds section of this forum. We're always happy to help :)

GND - if you're into sunrise/sunsets, although I have a little doubt about its usefulness for Sg's coastline in particular...

May I ask why you think GND is not useful for Sg's coastline? :dunno:

Wow, I'm surprised you're staying cool on this... :bsmilie:

Arctos, DD123's question is very valid... Be sure you know what you're saying before you make sweeping comments like this. On the contrary, Singapore's coastline is worth every GND you can afford. Hint: one does not always need a nice rock cliff or a lighthouse to make a coastline picture interesting...

Last edited:

Wow, I'm surprised you're staying cool on this... :bsmilie:

Arctos, DD123's question is very valid... Be sure you know what you're saying before you make sweeping comments like this. On the contrary, Singapore's coastline is worth every GND you can afford. Hint: one does not always need a nice rock cliff or a lighthouse to make a coastline picture interesting...

Well, you know of areas with clear coastlines where a one-shot kill using GND works well. For me, the ships and other stuff peppering our coastlines kind of hinders the use of a GND, and it might be better to blend multiple exposures instead, given how long a sunrise/sunset lasts unless you're doing a ND110 exposure where you don't get much chances to play around with the exposure during the golden window. Of course being able to drive or afford cabbing around to camp at nice secluded beaches with clean coastlines helps. And even then, a GND is not a miracle cure-all right, since it also depends on whether the strength of the GND is appropriate for available light at that time.

And no, one doesn't need rock cliffs or lighthouses... not that there's much to be found on the main island anyways.

Well, you know of areas with clear coastlines where a one-shot kill using GND works well. For me, the ships and other stuff peppering our coastlines kind of hinders the use of a GND, and it might be better to blend multiple exposures instead, given how long a sunrise/sunset lasts unless you're doing a ND110 exposure where you don't get much chances to play around with the exposure during the golden window. Of course being able to drive or afford cabbing around to camp at nice secluded beaches with clean coastlines helps. And even then, a GND is not a miracle cure-all right, since it also depends on whether the strength of the GND is appropriate for available light at that time.

And no, one doesn't need rock cliffs or lighthouses... not that there's much to be found on the main island anyways.

Well, you know what they say about "one man's meat is another man's poison" right? And like you've said, you can still cab or drive around to get a good coastline shot (so it is not impossible). In another country, that doesn't mean you don't have to take time to travel really far away to reach the coastlines (if you live inland that is).

With regards to GNDs, nobody is saying they are a miracle cure for sunset/sunrises. There is still the option for either hard or soft GNDs, if used properly can still do without HDRs.. I'm just saying one needs to be careful about sweeping statements, no offense intended.

Last edited:
Well, you know what they say about "one man's meat is another man's poison" right? And like you've said, you can still cab or drive around to get a good coastline shot (so it is not impossible). In another country, that doesn't mean you don't have to take time to travel really far away to reach the coastlines (if you live inland that is).

With regards to GNDs, nobody is saying they are a miracle cure for sunset/sunrises. There is still the option for either hard or soft GNDs, if used properly can still do without HDRs.. I'm just saying one needs to be careful about sweeping statements, no offense intended.

Naturally, except that cars (and petrol) are hopefully more affordable in another country. ;)

And I was voicing my personal opinion "although I have a little doubt about its usefulness for Sg's coastline in particular..." and not "it is not useful for Sg's coastline" so don't get worked up over it. No offense taken at all. :)

Naturally, except that cars (and petrol) are hopefully more affordable in another country. ;)

And I was voicing my personal opinion "although I have a little doubt about its usefulness for Sg's coastline in particular..." and not "it is not useful for Sg's coastline" so don't get worked up over it. No offense taken at all. :)

Oh, I'm not worked up, glad you aren't too. ;)

Distance is Singapore's biggest advantage (and disadv in some cases). It takes 3 to 4 hours from get from one end of the Isle to the other (ONLY if you drive safely). Whereas, eg. from London to Folkestone, Kent, it might take 4 to 5 hours (ONLY if you drive like a crazy lunatic!)... :bsmilie: Big difference, petrol-wise you might not save much...

Either way, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!... :D

Last edited: