Advice on Indoor shooting moving subject (children etc)

tomboy87

Oct 12, 2010
Hi all,

I am holding OM-D and shoots in aperture priority. I often faced an issue during indoor shooting of children who moves around because of low light. I am opening my aperture the largest but only can shutter around 1/50 - 1/60. May I ask how fast my shutter have to be at least as guideline to freeze the children movement ? Do I need flash?

Thanks alot !

get a flash.

i usually shoot my niece in manual mode at f2.8, 1/100s, ISO 400-800, TTL flash with +1/3 to 1 stop of FEC(ceiling and wall bounced).

Increase your ISO.

I learnt, lately, the correct way to frame my toddler.

35mm 1.8G lens @ f2.8, ISO < 400 (for facial skin detail), shutter 1/80 - 1/125.

Although I have sb700, I hardly use it because of its size.

At night i use camera flash -.7 to -1, so it gives a balanced exposure and retains the ambience.

Read the newbies guide about exposure and the contributing factors. If there is not enough light for a decent shutter speed you can either increase ISO or add light.

A nice toy, a bowl of ice cream plus a bar of chocolate and a promise of reward if they stay still.

Use flash so that your shutter speed can go up to 1/125 or a bit higher and the flash helps to stop motion.
Paste aluminium foil over a palm sized card to use as a bounce reflector to bounce the on-camera flash to the ceiling (provided its not too high of course)

Otherwise, increase your ISO to increase shutter speed.

sjackal said:
A nice toy, a bowl of ice cream plus a bar of chocolate and a promise of reward if they stay still.

Haha this is so true!

Haha! Considering the number of shots I take of my kids, they will be suno wrestlers before they turn 3!