advice needed for newbie photoshoot@SBG...

Status
Not open for further replies.

codling

Aug 21, 2003
eastside...
triggerhappy.official.ws
hi guys...need some advice for outdoor portrait shoot... :embrass:

the story is this:

a friend of mine was asked to be a model for one of her friends on a photography cum fashion assignment. this assignment is for her course...if i m not mistaken, she's doing some fashion thingy.

the friend is going to shoot in B&W using film...if i m not mistaken, she's quite a newbie also...my friend asked if i could tag along and take some pics as well cos i m not using film so i can review on the spot.

i did a brief search and i cant really find much info for first time newbies taking portrait shots...
anyone can advise me?
i m using a panasonic fz20 and external metz 32-Z1 flash. location should be at SBG. not too sure what the other friend is shooting with. is there anything i must do or must have? tips? :dunno:
much appreciated...

ask the model to have a good night's rest
look for good light or bring a reflector
SMILE or have drama eyes or facial expression
Have a good time
bring water
Park there it is FREE

i made my own bounce card but i m not too sure if there's a difference if i swivel the flash when taking portrait and stickin the card on the flash side...will it be radically different from stickin the card on top and using the flash in landscape?
how big a bounce card would i need?

Bring along these:
- mosquito spray
- mopiko
- comb (clean one)
- hair pins
- bottled water and straw (for model)

codling said:
i made my own bounce card but i m not too sure if there's a difference if i swivel the flash when taking portrait and stickin the card on the flash side...will it be radically different from stickin the card on top and using the flash in landscape?
how big a bounce card would i need?

Sound like you are new into flash photography, a bit risky to try without some practise.

Try to post your model where there is sufficient light and use a reflector to fill in . Natural light should be the main light 98% for outdoor photography and avoid using your flash. Well unless it is dark.

Make sure your ISO setting is the same with the film camera and check whether your metering read the same with the film camera.

i m a complete newbie when it comes to using external flash...recently graduated from A70 to FZ20... :confused:
i'll try to avoid flash unless its for fill in...

thanks for all the tips, astin, ortega and jopel...i ll need it and more...i did warn them i ve never tried doin a shoot so, dont expect too much from me...

my cam also comes with in-camera settings to adjust contrast, saturation and noise reduction. so normally for shoots, am i suppose to adjust the contrast levels? would it be ok to up saturation level to spruce up the colors of the background?

codling said:
my cam also comes with in-camera settings to adjust contrast, saturation and noise reduction. so normally for shoots, am i suppose to adjust the contrast levels? would it be ok to up saturation level to spruce up the colors of the background?

For a start set all the image parameters ( Contraste, Sharpness, Saturation, Noise reduction) to standard. It should work well with outdoor photography.

Set your white balance to auto. For shooting mode use Aperture Priority set at F8. If really don't understand this than use Program for shooting mode.

Use ISO 80 or ISO100.

Enhancement can be done with Photoshop.

Go there a bit earlier and test your setting at the actual location.

If in daylight set the WB to daylight, auto sometimes colour corrects the golden morning light to white, yucks! so clinical. my personal opinion, yours may differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.