Advice in shooting fireworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgboy83

Sep 21, 2008
I will be shooting for the first time at Esplanade on New Year eve. Can anyone give me some guides on how to shoot fireworks, especially some basic settings!

Thanks!

I will be shooting for the first time at Esplanade on New Year eve. Can anyone give me some guides on how to shoot fireworks, especially some basic settings!

Thanks!

all you needed to do was to click on the search function button in this forum, and key in FIREWORKS, then press enter.

Follow the link below. I linked the one that helped me the most when i started off fireworks photography.

Click here to be spoonfed.

Last edited:
F11
Exposure bulb 2.5-3s
shld do the job.

learn to spot where they are going to shoot the fireworks. you should orient your horizontal axis of tripod to that point, and lock it. then tilt upwards around 45 degree and above (depending on your elevation - I am assuming unobstracted ground level around the marina bay perimeter).
Lock the vertical there, or make it tight so you can still get it.
Shoot with both eye open. Appreciate the music cos sometimes the firework is timed together with the music so you know roughly when it will spark in the sky.
If you can roughly pre-focus then good, if you cannot then use auto focus but you have to be extremely quick.

Use bulb mode if you have the option, but if not 3 - 4 seconds is good enough.
ISO set to around 400. Shoot raw prefereably so you can tweak white balance better. If not then use expodisc if you have auto-white balance function aiming at the ambient lights of buildings at the horizon assuming you will include them in the background.

Normally the first 10 seconds will give you the best shot. After than it will be lousy because the smoke lingers if there is no strong wind to blow it away and cause over exposure (bright clouds).

It is hit and miss kind. If you dont get any good one, well there will always be another firework.
and by the way, good spots will run out 2 hours before the firework starts. it is common to see people reserving good spot from 5 pm onwards. Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.