Advice- Housing for Lumix LX1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hotzone

Mar 19, 2005
Hi

Need advice to bring my Lumix underwater. Where can I get the housing for this camera?

Hi

Need advice to bring my Lumix underwater. Where can I get the housing for this camera?

There is no hardcover underwater housing for Lumix LX1 at the moment. However, you can try out Ewa-Marine underwater pouches:
d-sc_k.jpg

But bear in mind that using underwater pouches is not as easy as it seems as there are fundamental elements that will affect the usage. And finally not to mention your comfort level with your buoyancy.

however, after my experience with their after-sale service, I would recommend that you drop the idea of bringing it down and get FX07 instead because it does come with a hardcover underwater housing.

There is no hardcover underwater housing for Lumix LX1 at the moment. However, you can try out Ewa-Marine underwater pouches:
d-sc_k.jpg

But bear in mind that using underwater pouches is not as easy as it seems as there are fundamental elements that will affect the usage. And finally not to mention your comfort level with your buoyancy.

however, after my experience with their after-sale service, I would recommend that you drop the idea of bringing it down and get FX07 instead because it does come with a hardcover underwater housing.

Thanks for yor advice. Wht do you mean by the after-sales service? You are referring to the casing or the saleman?

Shucks! FX07 has hard underwater casing? Should have bought that camera then.

No more options for LX1?

Thanks for yor advice. Wht do you mean by the after-sales service? You are referring to the casing or the saleman?

Shucks! FX07 has hard underwater casing? Should have bought that camera then.

No more options for LX1?

The housing should be fine if it was maintained it properly. However, despite my conscious effort in maintaining the housing, it is slightly leaking after the second dive. Did tests before any dives and there were no signs of leakage, but after bringing it down, there were droplets of seawater in the housing.

Contacted the distributor in Singapore for the housing repair (still under warranty and it's definitely not user negligence). Unfortunately distributor in Singapore doesn't carry out any repairs. So, contacted EWA-Marine (principle company) to inquire on the procedures in returning the housing for repair. No response from them at all. Even when the distributor was helping me chase for answers, there were no response from EWA-Marine to them. Very bad and very unprofessional manner of doing business to both consumer and distributor. They were not providing much support for the distributor either.

If I were you, I would have bought LX1 as well as it's a fantastic land-based camera. But unfortunately, that's not the case. Lumix cameras with available underwater housing (third party or by Panasonic) are FX01/07, TZ1 and L1 (DSLR, Hugyfot underwater housing)

So, the answer to your last question is, no, there's no other optioins. Unless you wanna built your own underwater camera housing for LX1, which is possible.

Anyway, this is how the FX01/07 housing looks like:

IPCDMWMCFX01.JPG

The housing should be fine if it was maintained it properly. However, despite my conscious effort in maintaining the housing, it is slightly leaking after the second dive. Did tests before any dives and there were no signs of leakage, but after bringing it down, there were droplets of seawater in the housing.

Contacted the distributor in Singapore for the housing repair (still under warranty and it's definitely not user negligence). Unfortunately distributor in Singapore doesn't carry out any repairs. So, contacted EWA-Marine (principle company) to inquire on the procedures in returning the housing for repair. No response from them at all. Even when the distributor was helping me chase for answers, there were no response from EWA-Marine to them. Very bad and very unprofessional manner of doing business to both consumer and distributor. They were not providing much support for the distributor either.

If I were you, I would have bought LX1 as well as it's a fantastic land-based camera. But unfortunately, that's not the case. Lumix cameras with available underwater housing (third party or by Panasonic) are FX01/07, TZ1 and L1 (DSLR, Hugyfot underwater housing)

So, the answer to your last question is, no, there's no other optioins. Unless you wanna built your own underwater camera housing for LX1, which is possible.

Anyway, this is how the FX01/07 housing looks like:

IPCDMWMCFX01.JPG

Thanks for the heads up. But how much would the soft casing cost and whwere can I get it? If I am only using it for the pool shoot instead of open water, would that be less problmatic?

The casing you show here looks nice man... hmmm should i sell my L1 and get the FX1 ???

Thanks for the heads up. But how much would the soft casing cost and whwere can I get it? If I am only using it for the pool shoot instead of open water, would that be less problmatic?

The casing you show here looks nice man... hmmm should i sell my L1 and get the FX1 ???

EWA-Marine will cost you 200+ for that range though, the one that I've got cost me 300+ nearer to 400.

For pool shots, EWA-Marine will be an expensive choice. You can look at Aquapac which costs less. However, I'm not sure how much it will cost you but it's definitely cheaper.

IMHO, if you are only restricting to just pool shots, get an Aquapac housing and try it out. However, if you are thinking of venturing into the open ocean with your camera, I would suggest get another camera with proper underwater housing.

EWA-Marine will cost you 200+ for that range though, the one that I've got cost me 300+ nearer to 400.

For pool shots, EWA-Marine will be an expensive choice. You can look at Aquapac which costs less. However, I'm not sure how much it will cost you but it's definitely cheaper.

IMHO, if you are only restricting to just pool shots, get an Aquapac housing and try it out. However, if you are thinking of venturing into the open ocean with your camera, I would suggest get another camera with proper underwater housing.

Thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.