Advice for new photographer: Which camera should I buy?

Hey guys I've recently started taking photos ever since I took a photography course in NTU (still studying now) and I'm looking to get my first camera. Could I get recommendations as to which mirrorless camera/DSLR would be a good start for me please?

I have been looking at Fuji X-T2/T20, Sony Alpha a6300, and I have been using a Nikon D610 rented from the school.
Also, what are your thoughts on Pentax cameras?

Really appreciate any advice! Thank you!
I was in your shoes when I was in poly.
Now my friends ask me this qn, I know how to answer them.

Get a mid-range APS-C cam.. For Canon, 70D or 80D. Pair it with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as a kit lens. Get a 50mm f/1.8 lens.
It will be good for a start. If u need telephoto, rent the 70-200mm f/4.

I recommend these as these r not too heavy for a guy. I don't know how long have u been into photography. Many ppl who first start off tend to have handshake prob with heavier lenses.

Good luck.

Reactions: Hetch
actually, I would be ruffing a few feathers of members here that believe in DSLR...but I truly think that DSLR is facing extinction soon, in the way of film SLR, and the new era would be that of mirrorless system, either full frame, APS or M43 system, i.e. Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic...etc...so getting a new DSLR now would be questionable (a cheap 2nd hand maybe) as I don't think it will be future proof, given only Canon and Nikon manufacture them (please correct me if I am wrong)...and they have just started trying to play the catchup game of mirrorless...

Of course Canon and Nikon DSLRs would still have a place in the DSLR camera landscape, but it would be on a much diminished scale compare to 10 years ago and maybe left only to the aficionados like film photography is now...only because both companies have invested so much in them as well as people who bought them. but seeing Canon just killed off their last film camera (though production stopped in 2010), I would guess the demise of DSLR is not too far off, though not too soon yet.

DSLR emerged around 15-18 years ago as a bridge between film SLR and the emerging digital revolution...but since 2010s, the advances in mirrorless technology and digital imaging have been relentless. also, in the past 5 years or so, due to advances of handphone camera technology, compact cameras are also on the verge of extinction...save for a few who touted their wares as bridge and/or enthusiast cameras, eg. Sony RX100 series, Panasonic Lumix, Ricoh GRII...etc, which I really like and appreciates.

So now the question for you, as a beginner into a world of photography is...DSLR or Mirrorless?...Full Frame, APS or M43? and to answer them, first you must answer on is: what you will be using them for? will you be printing them (normal or large prints?)? or just posting them online (Facebook, Instagram or some professional sites?)? Is this a prequel to a professional endeavour? or just as a hobby? and of cause, last but not least, budget and future proofing?

Last edited:
actually, I would be ruffing a few feathers of members here that believe in DSLR...but I truly think that DSLR is facing extinction soon, in the way of film SLR, and the new era would be that of mirrorless system, either full frame, APS or M43 system, i.e. Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic...etc...so getting a new DSLR now would be questionable (a cheap 2nd hand maybe) as I don't think it will be future proof, given only Canon and Nikon manufacture them (please correct me if I am wrong)...and they have just started trying to play the catchup game of mirrorless...

Of course Canon and Nikon DSLRs would still have a place in the DSLR camera landscape, but it would be on a much diminished scale compare to 10 years ago and maybe left only to the aficionados like film photography is now...only because both companies have invested so much in them as well as people who bought them. but seeing Canon just killed off their last film camera (though production stopped in 2010), I would guess the demise of DSLR is not too far off, though not too soon yet.

DSLR emerged around 15-18 years ago as a bridge between film SLR and the emerging digital revolution...but since 2010s, the advances in mirrorless technology and digital imaging have been relentless. also, in the past 5 years or so, due to advances of handphone camera technology, compact cameras are also on the verge of extinction...save for a few who touted their wares as bridge and/or enthusiast cameras, eg. Sony RX100 series, Panasonic Lumix, Ricoh GRII...etc, which I really like and appreciates.

So now the question for you, as a beginner into a world of photography is...DSLR or Mirrorless?...Full Frame, APS or M43? and to answer them, first you must answer on is: what you will be using them for? will you be printing them (normal or large prints?)? or just posting them online (Facebook, Instagram or some professional sites?)? Is this a prequel to a professional endeavour? or just as a hobby? and of cause, last but not least, budget and future proofing?

You have forgotten that there is on more brand that has an FF DSLR and that is Pentax. There are only 3 main manufacturers that have FF and they are Canon, Nikon and Pentax. The other FF mirrorless is Sony.

You have forgotten that there is on more brand that has an FF DSLR and that is Pentax. There are only 3 main manufacturers that have FF and they are Canon, Nikon and Pentax. The other FF mirrorless is Sony.

thanks for pointing out Pentax.

also, I did put Sony in mirrorless FF, but not specifically "...mirrorless system, either full frame, APS or M43 system, i.e. Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus, Panasonic...etc...", as I assume members would have knowledge on that already.

I was in your shoes when I was in poly.
Now my friends ask me this qn, I know how to answer them.

Get a mid-range APS-C cam.. For Canon, 70D or 80D. Pair it with a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as a kit lens. Get a 50mm f/1.8 lens.
It will be good for a start. If u need telephoto, rent the 70-200mm f/4.

I recommend these as these r not too heavy for a guy. I don't know how long have u been into photography. Many ppl who first start off tend to have handshake prob with heavier lenses.

Good luck.

Wow that's actually quite some spot on advice! I have a classmate who's quite into photography. He had been using my 700D and 400D for a while and just picked up an 800D and a used Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 last year. It's been great so far and he really likes it. He still borrows my lenses frequently so I guess having somewhere where you can loan/rent lenses from is a good place to start exploring different focal lengths. His photos have gotten alot better since he started so this might also be a viable method too.

Yes. 1 month ago, I was considering a cam system to return to photography aft 2 yrs break..
An uncle who is a freelance photographer told me now is the "transition" period like the film SLR to DSLR. Exactly the same. People are talking about jump ship, the pros n cons.

Compatibility of lenses. Back then, the earlier DSLR are able to use the film era lenses quite well. As technology advances, many issues with focusing etc.
Nikon users will know. I remember D90 was the cam which eliminates many older lenses compatibility.

Wow that's actually quite some spot on advice! I have a classmate who's quite into photography. He had been using my 700D and 400D for a while and just picked up an 800D and a used Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 last year. It's been great so far and he really likes it. He still borrows my lenses frequently so I guess having somewhere where you can loan/rent lenses from is a good place to start exploring different focal lengths. His photos have gotten alot better since he started so this might also be a viable method too.
If u rent with a company based in town.. Canon lenses rental prices dropped since 2 yrs ago.

For a start, buy a used camera and a standard zoom lens, APSC would be cheaper. Any of the major brands that suit your budget.

Learn the basics of photography by taking and deleting plenty of pics. Learn how to edit them in any of the popular editing software eg Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One. If you like it after a year, you will have a better idea what you want out of your camera, and would know if your current camera is still good or you want something different, better, new, used, or the same, etc. If it's not for you, you can still sell it and recover some costs.

Thanks for all your help and advice everyone! I have just bought a mint second-hand Fujifilm XE-2 with the kit 18-55mm f/2.8 lens. Right now I'm looking for a prime lens for it. :D Really happy with the camera!