Advice for new DSLR outfit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parry

Dec 9, 2008
Strathmore avenue
Hi, I'm a newcomer to DSLRs and am planning to buy a good outfit. I would love to go for full frame, but both the bulk and cost of the D700 or 5DMkII are a bit of turn-off. I don't want to compromise on build quality and optical performance and have decided on the Canon 50D and EF 17 - 40 mm f4 L USM lens. Would appreciate thoughts on this selection from the group. Best, Parry

as for FF, A900 isnt much bigger. Its build quality is definitely higher than 5DMkII.

A900 + 2470CZ would be a good combination. :D

Hi, I'm a newcomer to DSLRs and am planning to buy a good outfit. I would love to go for full frame, but both the bulk and cost of the D700 or 5DMkII are a bit of turn-off. I don't want to compromise on build quality and optical performance and have decided on the Canon 50D and EF 17 - 40 mm f4 L USM lens. Would appreciate thoughts on this selection from the group. Best, Parry

I suggest you read some reviews on the 50D, and most importantly go out and actually try it. Then try the 40D, the D300 and the A700/A900 and then decide what camera is best for you.

DSLR outfit? You mean the right t-shirt for the camera? :bsmilie:
Numerous times your questions was asked and answered here, just browse through the very same section where you have posted your question. Main question: What are your requirements? What are your intentions to use it? "Compromising on built and image quality" sound a bit like marketing gibberish, would be good to define that further. Just a hobby or is it your rice bowl that's depending on it? Shooting some family pictures or tracking through Gobi, Sahara and Antarctica? Artistic work for web presentation or A0 prints? Give us a bit more details and you'll get lots of comments.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. To add to my OP, I would be photographing landscapes, candids, still life as also family n friends. I travel a lot and want to be able to take along a "walkabout" zoom lens and possibly a prime lens(35 mm) as well. Since its going to be in my handluggage along with other work stuff, it cannot be too bulky.

Photography is'nt my day job. But I am serious about it and want to buy an outfit(body and lens) that feels and is reassuringly solid and reliable; I may not take it to the wilds of the Gobi desert, but can if I want. Nothing plasticky. I am not going to be able to afford to upgrade to a newer body anytime soon, so this one has to give me my money's worth for a few years to come.

The alpha 900 body is expensive - about double the 50D. I'm thinking that at this initial stage, it would be better to spend on getting good lenses, flash and filters( About 3K SGD for the entire outfit is my limit now), rather than go for a highend body and scrimp on the lens. Which is why, after reading many of the reviews, I'm inclined to the 50D, since it seems to offer good performance with its new generation sensor and processor, at a price point which is ok for me. Since I have no baggage of previous lenses(I'm using a FE2 with manual focus lenses currently), I am not restricted to any particular manufacturer.
But I will handle the other cameras mentioned and experience for myself. I'll check them out and come back to you guys.

Thanks a ton.

parry

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. To add to my OP, I would be photographing landscapes, candids, still life as also family n friends. I travel a lot and want to be able to take along a "walkabout" zoom lens and possibly a prime lens(35 mm) as well. Since its going to be in my handluggage along with other work stuff, it cannot be too bulky.

Photography is'nt my day job. But I am serious about it and want to buy an outfit(body and lens) that feels and is reassuringly solid and reliable; I may not take it to the wilds of the Gobi desert, but can if I want. Nothing plasticky. I am not going to be able to afford to upgrade to a newer body anytime soon, so this one has to give me my money's worth for a few years to come.

The alpha 900 body is expensive - about double the 50D. I'm thinking that at this initial stage, it would be better to spend on getting good lenses, flash and filters( About 3K SGD for the entire outfit is my limit now), rather than go for a highend body and scrimp on the lens. Which is why, after reading many of the reviews, I'm inclined to the 50D, since it seems to offer good performance with its new generation sensor and processor, at a price point which is ok for me. Since I have no baggage of previous lenses(I'm using a FE2 with manual focus lenses currently), I am not restricted to any particular manufacturer.
But I will handle the other cameras mentioned and experience for myself. I'll check them out and come back to you guys.

Thanks a ton.

parry

The Alpha 900 is a full frame cam whereas the 50D is a APS-C cam, so cannot compare. IIRC, the Alpha 900 is the most value for money full frame cam currently. If you want an APS-C cam, go for the Alpha 700 instead.

Hi Parry

In my opinion, there is a little bit of a contradiction with what you just said, and is something you may want to take into account. If your budget is about SGD 3K, and holding by your logic of a steady body but you rather spend more on lenses, than I would suggest the 40D + 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. I'm assuming that you would want a quality walk-around lense with good IQ. A 50D body alone would cost you around SGD 2K at the moment, and if you take into account your purchase of maybe dry box, tripod and other misc stuff, the price of the 50D would restrict you from getting a good lense, going against your 'rather spend more on lense' logic.

Jeremy,

Many thanks for yr advice. Actually, I already have two tripods(a Gitzo G118 and a King), as well as camera bags. Yes, a dry box would be on the shopping list though.
Is price the only reason why you suggest the 40D ? Some of the reviews gave me the impression that the 50D is not so much of an improvement over the 40D, to warrant an existing user upgrading.So I understand, that for the price, the 40D is indeed a very good camera. But for a new user like me, would spending that bit more and getting the extra mp, better LCD, higher usable ISO make sense ?
Re the lens, I understand that the L series lens are Canon's premium line and this particular lens(17-40mm) is amongst the more affordable of this range.So is the lens you suggest again based on price ?
Sorry for asking so many questions and hope I am not giving the impression that my mind is made up !

Well Parry if budget allows, and if you definitely feel better to go for the 50D, then go for it. What you're getting here are just some suggestions from us, and the final decision really lies with you. The 17-55 f/2.8 i suggested is definitely not based on price, but on performance. I will be honest in saying I have not tried the lense, and am saying this based on what others have said in this forums, on reviews and on the photos I've seen. Maybe a CSer with this lense will have a better say on this. What I definitely know though is that the 17-55 is one of the best APS-C lenses. The 17-40 L is a good lense too, and the debate between which is better can go on and on again.

Bottom line is, know your budget, think of what you really want, and stick to the decision. I may be rather new here but more than often have I read about people who get their equipments without prior reading or research, and also people who wants to sell off their equip after less than a month or two.

PS: IMO, 50D stands out from 40D because of the 920K pixel VGA LCD, and ok maybe the AF micro adjustment. Well worth the $$ difference from 40D? Well maybe, but definitely increases the 'feel good' factor haha. Apart from that, higher MP may not be necessary (may infact induce more noise) and usable high ISO (the high ISOs are not exactly usable).

www.dpreview.com has detailed reviews about both cameras (40D, 50D) including tests about noise and ISO performance. See whether the 50D really offers the big advantage here. Regarding the additional MP many users have commented this as "not really necessary". Up to you, finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.