Advice for indoor and wedding dinner photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advise is bring along the kit lens as 50 mm is not wide enough for group shots, if u are not hacking the firmware, 550ex flash is better. :D

:) :) :) 550ex expensive la....

Vilya said:
My advise is bring along the kit lens as 50 mm is not wide enough for group shots, if u are not hacking the firmware, 550ex flash is better. :D

Petf69 said:

Get the Sigma 500DG Super then.

After reading thru experts' opinions, i'm confused...and here's my questions:

a. If direct/straight-on flash is used, and the dining halls are large, then wouldn't that cause the background to be dark yet the faces are bright?
-- Then shouldn't FEC be used? If yes, then how much?
-- If an Omnibounce is used or a bounce card is used with the flash head tilted upwards, then wouldn't this provide a softer and slower flash which can allow the contrast between faces and background to be lesser? What shutter speed and aperture should be used for ISO400 film?

Quote:
{
Actually I use Av for flash all the time.

As mentioned, Av mode with flash is like slow sync flash, so you capture the ambient light in the background. This is very important, because otherwise the background will usually be just black, and the faces white - not nice at all.
}
b. If Av mode is used with flash, then it is in slow-sync mode, so isn't a tripod needed?

loudhailer said:

a. If direct/straight-on flash is used, and the dining halls are large, then wouldn't that cause the background to be dark yet the faces are bright?
-- If an Omnibounce is used or a bounce card is used with the flash head tilted upwards, then wouldn't this provide a softer and slower flash which can allow the contrast between faces and background to be lesser? What shutter speed and aperture should be used for ISO400 film?

Quote:
{

As mentioned, Av mode with flash is like slow sync flash, so you capture the ambient light in the background. This is very important, because otherwise the background will usually be just black, and the faces white - not nice at all.
}
b. If Av mode is used with flash, then it is in slow-sync mode, so isn't a tripod needed?

Erm, I not expert, OK. Just a keen amateur.

Av mode with flash will expose for the ambient light, and the flash becomes a fill-flash. Your subjects in the foreground will be illuminated by just enough flash to freeze their motion. The background will not be illuminated by the flash, but the shutter will remain open long enough to gather enough light from the background and capture the ambient lighting. Of course if your subjects move too much, there may be some "ghosting", but by and large the foreground subjects will be pretty sharp.

It's important to practise handholding so that you can hold the camera quite still. Of course, a tripod is ideal, but very leceh and your subjects will get impatient. With a wide-angle lens, you should be able to handhold down to 1/8 seconds without too much camera shake visible.

Not sure about the 300D, but the 10D exposes quite accurately without having to resort to flash exposure locking.

PS if you are the second photographer, make sure you ask the subjects to look at the main photographer while he is taking pictures, and take turns with him, not take at the same time. Nothing worse than a group shot where everyone is looking in different directions.

All of the above is just theory. Experiment yourself with different settings to find out what suits you and which combination gets you what you want. It's a digital camera, isn't it?

loudhailer said:

Quote:
{

}

Maybe you want to take a look at this article. Quite useful for me.

http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?print_page=y&section_id=4&article_id=706&page_number=1&preview=

Wow that cheat sheet is fantastic, thanks for the link. In regards to what streetshooter mentioned, I think saying that you can shoot at 1/8 sec while in AV mode is not the best idea. The foreground may be frozen if you use a rear curtain sync, but the background and any foreground that moves (or camera shake) during the first part of the exposure will still show up as blur! Use of manual mode while keeping the shutter speed under or at the flash sync speed, usually 1/125 or 1/250 will tell the camera to put up more power from the flash to give you a correct exposure. Flash distance is greatly reduced when doing this so a powerful flash is a bonus. In addition use a higher ISO so that the flash has a longer reach. For example use 1/125s f8 400ISO.

On another note, I guess its ok for kids B'day parties but taking wedding dinner shots at the table don't look very professional imho. I know ppl like to take such pictures but with a messy table and poor arangement (no one wants to get up) it looks like a snapshot. How about setting up a backdrop and maybe a studio light in the back of the room and invite people (maybe by table) to come up and take event style photos?

Tzuen said:
Wow that cheat sheet is fantastic, thanks for the link. In regards to what streetshooter mentioned, I think saying that you can shoot at 1/8 sec while in AV mode is not the best idea. The foreground may be frozen if you use a rear curtain sync, but the background and any foreground that moves (or camera shake) during the first part of the exposure will still show up as blur! Use of manual mode while keeping the shutter speed under or at the flash sync speed, usually 1/125 or 1/250 will tell the camera to put up more power from the flash to give you a correct exposure. Flash distance is greatly reduced when doing this so a powerful flash is a bonus. In addition use a higher ISO so that the flash has a longer reach. For example use 1/125s f8 400ISO.

???!! Huh??

Why don’t Keep it Simple.

Camera setting; iso 400, f5.6, manual mode, speed 1/30 sec or higher, flash setting; TTL or auto. Ceiling bounce if ceiling height not more than 12ft. Direct flash also work. Keep your subject within 3 to 5 meter. Use your kit lens.

Thinking of capture the moments first, when you are more experience with your camera. Than start to try other kind of setting.

I use this basic setting shooting countless wedding dinners.

Tzuen said:
On another note, I guess its ok for kids B'day parties but taking wedding dinner shots at the table don't look very professional imho. I know ppl like to take such pictures but with a messy table and poor arangement (no one wants to get up) it looks like a snapshot.

If you’re not the only photographer during wedding dinner, than forget about the table shots, let the pro do it.

Tzuen said:
How about setting up a backdrop and maybe a studio light in the back of the room and invite people (maybe by table) to come up and take event style photos?

This is really an interesting suggestion. Head on flash also headache enough liao. Still want to set backdrop and lighting?? :bsmilie:

Petf69 said:

Yeah that i know,that's why i dun own one hehe, like sumball said u can consider sigma 500DG heard it's got simillar functions. :) 300D's onboard flash tend to underexpose a bit but can brighten up in photoshop.
I agree with catchlights's comment keep things simple for the frist time and capture 'THE MOMENT'.

cheers.

Hello world...

Petf69: Sorrie to disturb your thread!! apologies
also a newbie helping a friend to take photographs for his wedding dinner tomorrow (thanks god that i am just a unoffical photographer)

Thinking of using this configuration for my camera.
ISO800, F4, 1/60s to 1/30s
will this setting be alright?
Gurus...correct me if i am wrong... the slow syn speed (1/30s to 1/60s) is to asisst the capturing of the ambience background light right??

Vilya said:
Yeah that i know,that's why i dun own one hehe, like sumball said u can consider sigma 500DG heard it's got simillar functions. :) 300D's onboard flash tend to underexpose a bit but can brighten up in photoshop.
I agree with catchlights's comment keep things simple for the frist time and capture 'THE MOMENT'.

cheers.

thanks. I went to ask around the 500DG super is only $380 new.....and it has pretty similar functions as the 550ex.....

anyway, I also bought a East gear battery yesterday..

will consider.....

Vilya said:

cheers.

underexpose is better than overexpose on digital, y don't try to use flash +1/2 instead of doing post production with PS?

Always check on the histogram. is more accurate than the image preview.

icecold said:
Hello world...

Petf69: Sorrie to disturb your thread!! apologies
also a newbie helping a friend to take photographs for his wedding dinner tomorrow (thanks god that i am just a unoffical photographer)

Thinking of using this configuration for my camera.
ISO800, F4, 1/60s to 1/30s
will this setting be alright?
Gurus...correct me if i am wrong... the slow syn speed (1/30s to 1/60s) is to asisst the capturing of the ambience background light right??

iso 800 is fine, as long you find it looks good to you on the 4R print, yes, 1/30 can bring out the ambience abit, if you have a steadly hand.
Be carefull about when the spot lights shine on the coulple, sometime you need to go up to 1/125 to prevent washout.

Hope this help.

Just came back from a wedding day event, tonight need to shoot a 60+ tables dinner. ;)

Petf69 said:
Canon gurus and experts,

need more advice from you.

I'll be taking some photos at my niece birthday party and friend's wedding dinner this weekend....I'm think of using the following setting, pls correct me if i'm miles off....
Equipment EOS300D + 420ex (omnibounce) + 50mm F1.8

Setting at Av,
i) f2-4 @ ISO200
ii) f6-8 @ ISO400

Your comments or recommended settings are most welcome.
thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

You are going to battle as main warrior - check.
You run through your arsenal
a. one 50mm bazooka
b. one 17 mm grenade
all checked

Enemies ahead - firepower assessment:
a. need 20 - 35mm prime machine gun with 1.4mm rounds
or easier
b. or 17 - 40 mm Lght machine gun

Last word

a. do not think within your dry box
b. go General Pet - conscript soldiers and buy horses!!!

Highly recommended constript List from CS - Kex, sniperD, jialuvqr, Virgo, mpenza, Belle, sumball, madmacs,Zplus, Virgo.

They are galant, brave, full of ideas and shoot better with flowing beer, ready to assist any CSers in distress.

PS - Tell them that the bride is a beauty to behold and all dressed up for their consumate skills in their respective equipment line up!!

dundee said:
You are going to battle as main warrior - check.
You run through your arsenal
a. one 50mm bazooka
b. one 17 mm grenade
all checked

Enemies ahead - firepower assessment:
a. need 20 - 35mm prime machine gun with 1.4mm rounds
or easier
b. or 17 - 40 mm Lght machine gun

Last word

a. do not think within your dry box
b. go General Pet - conscript soldiers and buy horses!!!

Highly recommended constript List from CS - Kex, sniperD, jialuvqr, Virgo, mpenza, Belle, sumball, madmacs,Zplus, Virgo.

They are galant, brave, full of ideas and shoot better with flowing beer, ready to assist any CSers in distress.

PS - Tell them that the bride is a beauty to behold and all dressed up for their consumate skills in their respective equipment line up!!

:bigeyes: :eek: :think:

that's a good one dundee......

anyway...took a few photos at the wedding dinner and photoshop it for brightness and it looked pretty good....used Manual, ISO400-800 as advised.

Great stuff guys.....

but will not post the photos for privacy reasons.

Cheers,
Sim

Glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself. The thing during wedding photography is: do not stress yourself out. Just think how to provide best for the bride/bridegroom and the rest of their friends/relatives. Relax and it should turn out well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.