Advantages of Digital P&S for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetShooter

Jan 17, 2002
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org
Besides the smaller size and weight, it's occurred to me that the smaller CCD and aperture of a digital P&S (resulting in greater DOF) is actually ideal for travel snapshots (you know, the kind where you have a person standing in front of some scenery). This is because both the subject and the background will be in focus.

Of course you will also be able to do that with any SLR by stopping down the aperture and using a wider lens, but it means lugging a much bigger camera around to do the same thing.

A less technical point....when you ask others to take pics of you, you can check the pics immediately and could retake if it's not good enough.

P/S digital camera is good for travel. will be perfect for me if:

good quality zoom lens form 24-200mm (35mm eq)
lens must be able to attach filter
F-stop from f1.4 or f2 at all zoom points.
DOF marking
AA size batteries
4mp and above.
powerful built in flash.
cover 98% pics area in the eye finder compare to LCD.
able to save in RAW
shorter shutter lag
able to operate in -20 to +50 degree.
$$$ cheaper price for storage card.

Access i dream of
external storage device which use AA size batteries and can connect to camera using USB to download pic instead of removing the card and slot it in.

Originally posted by howie
P/S digital camera is good for travel. will be perfect for me if:

good quality zoom lens form 24-200mm (35mm eq)
lens must be able to attach filter
F-stop from f1.4 or f2 at all zoom points.
DOF marking
AA size batteries
powerful built in flash.
able to operate in -20 to +50 degree.

won't this be a dream 35mm camera too, whether P/S or SLR?

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Besides the smaller size and weight, it's occurred to me that the smaller CCD and aperture of a digital P&S (resulting in greater DOF) is actually ideal for travel snapshots (you know, the kind where you have a person standing in front of some scenery). This is because both the subject and the background will be in focus.

Of course you will also be able to do that with any SLR by stopping down the aperture and using a wider lens, but it means lugging a much bigger camera around to do the same thing.

Usually when travelling with camera shy frens (i'm one too), I found that i tend to take scenaries more, hence needing a wider lens. I'll be bringing a teddybear or stuffed toy with me to act as a subject the next time i do my documentary travels. :bsmilie:

But i think the one major advantage of a p&s, esp a small one like f601z, is that u can wipe it out of the pocket at anyway u wanna take any funny scenes or candids. By the time u take ur G2 out of ur camera case or pull the SLR out of the bag, i'll already be firing away and running off before anyone spots me. :devil: Found this out the last time i brought 2 cameras with me for travelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.