Advantage of lightwands over light panels

Bamboopictures

For a couple of years now, I have relied on the Yongnuo YN360 lightwand for interviews both indoors and outdoors.
They constantly surprise me with their light output, stealthiness or "hideability" and application.
My favorite use of a lightwand is as a key light for a butterfly lighting set up. Because the YN360 is a pretty long wand around 60cm, it mimics a big panel especially when mounted horizontally and positioned very close the subject. Here's where the advantage of a tubular form factor shines. Whereas a light panel will require a C-stand and an extension grip arm for a butterfly set up, a horizontal lightwand only requires a lightstand and a ballhead. And because of the inverse square law of light, a modest NPF powered lightwand can put out an inordinate amount of kick when placed just above camera frame inches away from the talent' face. The use of a butterfly setup also makes it easier to avoid reflections when shooting against a window as the reflections from the LEDs are above the camera's field of view. For extreme backlit situations, A few more wands can be easily taped together to produce a HMI worthy blast of soft light.

Last edited: