Advantage of Full Frame Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahha... u have the blue print or soemthing??
But to be frank, most projects get delayed. soo...

Canon had it easy for quite a few years and can afford to takes its time to recover investment cost. Once Sony gets into the picture, everything changes. Sony have ambitions to be market leader for DC. Sony makes sensors and Nikon buys sensors from Sony. In 5 years time if Canon continue as it has for the past 25 years, it will be number 2. Also Nokia will want to have a slice of the market as well but will be Camera phones centric.

5 years + or -

By end of this year, there will be 3 FF camera makers - Canon, Nikon and Sony

By end of next year, mid priced models will feature FF, first generation of proper FF lenses

By end of 2010, the first PnS will feature 4:3rds and DX/Crop

By end of 2011, cheap PnS will be camera phones, market for cheap PnS will cease to exist hence more models with 4:3rds and DX/Crop will appear offering superior image quality to Camera Phones

By end 2012, affordable FF DSLR will appear. DX/Crop and 4:3rds will be entry level models

By 2013 - Canon will offer MF cameras (by buying over exiting MF companies)

The reason for the progress is driven by sensor manufacturing. Canon will no longer hold the monopoly for FF and would want to offer higher grade cameras ie MF 48 x 36mm. :lovegrin:

Agree.....

Competition is the Magic Word :thumbsup:

5 years + or -

By end of next year, mid priced models will feature FF, first generation of proper FF lenses

By end of 2011, cheap PnS will be camera phones, market for cheap PnS will cease to exist hence more models with 4:3rds and DX/Crop will appear offering superior image quality to Camera Phones

By end 2012, affordable FF DSLR will appear. DX/Crop and 4:3rds will be entry level models

The reason for the progress is driven by sensor manufacturing. Canon will no longer hold the monopoly for FF and would want to offer higher grade cameras ie MF 48 x 36mm. :lovegrin:

By then, everyone has to start dumping FF lens because they can't fit into a MF camera. :)

Lets be honest, anyone here can say that they are doing justice to their hardware? I mean spending so much money on the hardware stuff is one thing, whether you can product the stuff is another (just to avoid any conflict, I am not one of those who think i can take very good pictures). Seeing some WOW pictures taken using yesteryears camera on magazines sometimes really make me feel ashame.

Nevertheless, I think a hobby, like photography, has a evolution in its host (you and me :)). In the beginning, you are very interested in hardware stuff (FF vs crop etc), then finally, you will settle down and dun really go into website to see which new camera is coming out. But websites to see how people takes those jaws-dropping pictures.

Cheers

I admit that I would get myself a FF camera..... if I could afford it. I think a price of around $2100 is acceptable. But even that, I would keep my 1.6x crop camera..... for no other reason than my 70-200mm will be 112-320mm now....:bsmilie:

Sooner or later - I think within 5yr - FF camera will be price around those like the 40D now. And camera like 400D would be well below $1000. :thumbsup:

What are the advantages of a FF cmos sensor let say compare to a 1.5x crop ccd sensor, other than giving new life to old lense. Does it produce more sharp picture quality for normal printing, let say at max A4 size. Please enlighten me, as i am planning to upgarde my Nikon D70s in near future.

Less noise high ISO performance.

5 years + or -

Alas.... all these will never come to be !
Cause the world is going to end on 21 Dec 2012 :cry:
http://www.december212012.com/

So we should all just Buy! Buy! Buy! to our hearts' content in the last 4 remaining years while we still can enjoy our hobby and technology still exists to produce such equipment. ;)

perspective?

in DX, 50mm=75mm=portrait
in FF, 85 is portrait
in Medium format, 150mm =portrait.

yeah i agree too maybe dx sensor cameras would just be the very low grade kind of dslr like the nikon d40?

Yeah... Probably by then we will have an equivalent of D40x (in today's terms) with 51 point focusing system...:bigeyes:

Can't possibly still continue to seel you cams with 3 point focusing right?

Anyway, I totally agree with the point on people chasing technology, and in the process forgot all about honing their "software" to match the "hardware" they buy. And wat does these poor souls end up with? A superb set-up, but photos that are anything but complementing the set-up.

Nowadays, I'm more interested in the "software", although I would say the hardware does have its effects on me.:bsmilie:

What are the advantages of a FF cmos sensor let say compare to a 1.5x crop ccd sensor, other than giving new life to old lense. Does it produce more sharp picture quality for normal printing, let say at max A4 size. Please enlighten me, as i am planning to upgarde my Nikon D70s in near future.

A FF sensor has the advantage of fully utilising standard ultra-wide lenses instead of those made for cropped sensors, better DOF control that bring out the subject when taking portraits and also a larger and brighter viewfinder in the DSLRs itselves.

A FF sensor has the advantage of fully utilising standard ultra-wide lenses instead of those made for cropped sensors, better DOF control that bring out the subject when taking portraits and also a larger and brighter viewfinder in the DSLRs itselves.
thanks brother Snoweagle, now considering which to pick up canon or nikon. Is it true that canon are more lense friendly, for example many other brand of lense able to use in canon system with an adapter.

Hi ,do you know the differences of 110mm ,135mm ,120mm and 20×24 inches sheet films ?

That is your answer ,choose the 1 you needs most .

you put the D300 on ISO3200 (which is its max) pic side-by-side with the D3's ISO3200 (which is not even breaking a sweat for the D3), you will be able to tell the difference in noise levels. dat is the best proof your eyes can see wrt the FX vs DX sensor debate.[/QUOTE]

I started with D40, and is still using D40 now..:D
I am thinking of upgrading to D300, or... go straight to D700, since I only have the 17-55mm lens to get rid of, minimum pain and loss. I will keep the D40 and kit lens, bcos the 2nd hand price is really too low :cry:

My key reason of upgrading is to get high ISO performance.
Max acceptable ISO for D40 is 800 (my own judgement).
I believe max acceptable ISO for D300 is 3200 (??, In another thread, i see beautiful photo shot at ISO3200)
How about D3?? How high the ISO we can crank up till it shows the same noise level as ISO3200 at D300?

Any bro here with the above comparison, please enlighten me.

thanks brother Snoweagle, now considering which to pick up canon or nikon. Is it true that canon are more lense friendly, for example many other brand of lense able to use in canon system with an adapter.

Whether Nikon or Canon is entirely up to the individual, even the feel of the DSLRs are different too. I wouldn't say that Canon's lenses are more 'friendly' but they have the largest range in 35mm photography.

Yes u can use it with an adapter but only in manual focus.

bro lwt11137, sorry to borrow your thread. I hope my question is relevant to you also.
Is fine for me, the more the merrier we all come here with one objective share our thought and view.

Whether Nikon or Canon is entirely up to the individual, even the feel of the DSLRs are different too. I wouldn't say that Canon's lenses are more 'friendly' but they have the largest range in 35mm photography.

Yes u can use it with an adapter but only in manual focus.
Great, i think i know what i need when my next upgrade cum by.

you put the D300 on ISO3200 (which is its max) pic side-by-side with the D3's ISO3200 (which is not even breaking a sweat for the D3), you will be able to tell the difference in noise levels. dat is the best proof your eyes can see wrt the FX vs DX sensor debate.

Thats not the point really.

Today's digital sensors are giving far better noise at ISO800 and ISO1600 when compared to film.

How low a noise is noiseless enough? Film photographers still lived with their noisy ISO800/1600.

The better is always an enemy of the good.

On the other hand you may want to ask, now that you can shoot relatively noiseless at high ISO, how high an ISO do you need, if you really know what you need? Or you just want to have the lowest noise camera in the market?

To make an analogy, a 5GHz double quad core PC can certainly do a lot of compute intensive stuff, but the real question is what stuff do you really do?

Status
Not open for further replies.