About stock photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
lashlyn said:
Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

Cheers
Linda

Care to name a few? Iv been using shutterstock and dreamstime mainly had have not encounted this.

I think usually only applies to some of the best selling photogs as the stock compnay wants to make more money by exclusivley selling his/hers images.

I'm still new at this stock photo business. Just some curious newbie questions;

1) Why summit to RF aka Micro stock agency and making cents per image and why not submit to Rights Managed agency like Getty, Corbis & Alamy and make dollars instead?

2) Is RM business still thriving? From a buyer's point of view, RF & Micro are definitely more "value for money" but from a photographer's pont of view, pictures only worth pathetic cents :cry:

3) Is it because of the demand shapes supply principal that now most photographers jump on the RF & Micro bandwagon and happily accepting cents :cry: per image?

Anyway I'm submiting my pictures to Alamy and I'm just trying to understand the rationale for submitting to RF & Micro. Maybe I missed out something......

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this?

not necessarily.. most online stock libraries have an option whether you want the photo to be exclusive.. of course, exclusive photos will have a higher income..

lashlyn said:
Hi I have been selling stock images for a photo library here and I just want to alert you that you should check your contract before handing the same images to another agency.

I have not come across any agency that allows that. You may work with different stock agencies BUT your images must be exclusive.

Cheers
Linda

My experience from clients:

RM: Too expensive we cannot afford it.

RF: Anymore cheaper? Maybe Free?

Yes, there is alot of cheapo client who don't pay for images but there are still some who does. Just like design, people just want good and cheap or even free.

Just wonder how people lives if everything is free? :think:

if i were approached by various firms for photos for use in their newsletters and such, how much should i charge. roughly?

one of them complained they had to pay 600 bucks for a photo and were looking for cheaper alternatives :bsmilie:

kentay said:
if i were approached by various firms for photos for use in their newsletters and such, how much should i charge. roughly?

one of them complained they had to pay 600 bucks for a photo and were looking for cheaper alternatives :bsmilie:

For editorial, what was the picture of? $600 for one pic sounds a tad expensive, but then i dont know what the picture was.

Status
Not open for further replies.