Abandoned Capitol Cinema

Status
Not open for further replies.

topster

Nov 22, 2005
Wife was doing some boring shopping at Raffles city so I decided to walk towards Peninsula Plaza to window shop at Cathay Photo and TCW. Made a quick stop to take some photos along the way. Sure brought back fond memories of the good 'ol days for an old foggy like me :)

Feel free to comment.

55677949.jpg

55677956.jpg

55677960.jpg

Just a very popular cinema when i was younger. Just ask the older uncles of this forums, Im sure this was the prime location of many hot dates.

More detailed infor ripped right off google:

The Capitol Cinema (Shaws Building) in Stamford Road was built in 1931 by the Namazie family to host live shows. It was built by the architect Keys & Dowdeswell. The style of the building is eclectic neo-Classicism, characterised by somewhat ponderous detailing.

Capitol was later bought by the Shaw from the Namaze Brothers in 1946. Capitol then became the premiere picture palace of the Shaw group until the nearby Lido was built. The Capitol was home to the greatest movies and live events. The theater's live acts continued, along with movies, until the 1980s.

With its capacity of 1688, the Capitol was Singapore’s premiere blockbuster hall until Lido was built. During the 1950s and early 1960s, Hollywood was king of the box-office.

I remember the zodiac signs on the ceiling of the hall. Will always glance up at them b4 the movie starts when I was young:)

I really like No.1, Sure brought me back some wonderful memories of it. :)
Kind of miss it after seeing your shot. Sorry to see it in such a poorly maintained state.:(

Yes, bring back old memories. This and the former Cathay cinema are one of the few early cinema back in the 70s' and 80's. Thanks for taking the pictures and bringing back some wonderful memories of childhood and teens.

oracle0711 said:
Yes, bring back old memories. This and the former Cathay cinema are one of the few early cinema back in the 70s' and 80's. Thanks for taking the pictures and bringing back some wonderful memories of childhood and teens.

Eh... it's Capitol, not Cathay though they are sharing similar fates...

The pictures are really nice in a nostalgic kind of way... :think:

The Government acquired this cinema from Shaw Bros. It has not been put to use since then. Why? Ask them. Therefore any maintenance shortfalls falls on their shoulders squarely.

syl said:
The Government acquired this cinema from Shaw Bros. It has not been put to use since then. Why? Ask them. Therefore any maintenance shortfalls falls on their shoulders squarely.

This one is prime location near to Singapore's "dragon vein"...

Eh :confused: ... that's why I wrote 'THIS (referring to Capitol) AND the former Cathay...'. Both cinemas were happening places during my childhood and teenage period. Well at least we still can catch a glimpse of the Capitol cinema. The cathay building is the process of a new facelift.

cheers

drake336 said:
Eh... it's Capitol, not Cathay though they are sharing similar fates...

The pictures are really nice in a nostalgic kind of way... :think:

oracle0711 said:
Eh :confused: ... that's why I wrote 'THIS (referring to Capitol) AND the former Cathay...'. Both cinemas were happening places during my childhood and teenage period. Well at least we still can catch a glimpse of the Capitol cinema. The cathay building is the process of a new facelift.

cheers

Heh, sorry, should slow down my speed read... :embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.