A99 (Am I crazy)

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
This thing is this.... I forgot the rule..... "when not buying, don't itchy backside step into a camera shop and touch any camera.... " :nono::sweat:

So happen that day walk into Sony store and touch the A99.... . and lo and behold, kena poison......reason could also be since I have the A7S... the UI is more familiar to me unlike last time......

What I need help is actually the A mount lenses...... I am totally not familiar with Sony lenses...... those usual 24-70, 50mm, 85mm, 35mm...... any sigma/Tamron equivalent?? AF performance of the 3rd lenses?? Cause I see their native lenses... all like more expensive then then body.... :sweat:

Am I crazy??? I think so... but don't know how crazy.....

Good thing about the A-mount cameras would be that you have IBIS for all the lenses already. Many people are using the older Minolta lenses on the Sonys where AF performance should not be too shoddy based on what I've read thus far.

There are cheap A-mount lenses and then there are the expensive ones. Chances are you probably saw the A-mount Carl Zeiss versions of these lenses. Take the 50mm f1.4 for instance, theres the (likely Minolta-rebadged) 50mm f1.4, and then there is the new stunning CZ 50mm f1.4.

I cant tell exactly how Zeiss-like these lenses are but quite a few people have been raving about the CZ 135mm f1.8. Buying into the A-mount system would get you access to more Zeiss lenses which can AF too (caveat: these should be Sony-made Zeiss badged lenses similar to those in E-mount).

Thing with the a99 is that the AF points are pretty much clustered in the centre so it seems like a fair amount of focus/recompose would be on the cards. That's a dealbreaker for me personally, not sure bout your personal preference.

Thanks for the info bro..... not too worried about the AF points... I am more of those Focus and re-compose type.... looks like homework for me for this December.... :confused:

This thing is this.... I forgot the rule..... "when not buying, don't itchy backside step into a camera shop and touch any camera.... " :nono::sweat:

So happen that day walk into Sony store and touch the A99.... . and lo and behold, kena poison......

I laughed damn hard reading this :bsmilie:

You should go Sony store to touch some A mount lenses. I am sure you will find answers after that :p

You should go Sony store to touch some A mount lenses. I am sure you will find answers after that :p

mai like that.... touch body alreday tio... got touch lens.... no need go home....

Too rich! :bsmilie:

boh $$ lar.... else no need ask... just get all... :heart:.... might be looking at used also.... just not too sure about the A mount lenses...

U can go for the sigma Art series lenses for A mounts.. The 35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4 had everyone raving about..

The Zeiss 70-200 like very good wor....

Last edited:
The Zeiss 70-200 like very good wor....

Got zeiss 70-200 meh?
But the main draw of a-mount would be of course the sony zeiss af lenses.

The CZ85 and CZ135 are what I would consider near perfect lenses.
Sony/minolta 135mm stf has a rendering that no other lens can duplicate.
For G lens, I prefer minolta era ones.

Got zeiss 70-200 meh?
But the main draw of a-mount would be of course the sony zeiss af lenses.

The CZ85 and CZ135 are what I would consider near perfect lenses.
Sony/minolta 135mm stf has a rendering that no other lens can duplicate.
For G lens, I prefer minolta era ones.

Opppsss... it is E mount. not A. sorry....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/857787-REG/Zeiss_1984_159_70_200mm_T2_9_Compact_Zoom.html

Already touch bodie, can lend u touch the zeiss lenses ;p

fun reading TS thread :) enjoy A99 is a very good DSLR body you can pair this with almost any A-Mount lenses outthere from Sony to Minolta to 3rd Party like Sigma and Tamron you should have almost tons of choices :) AF is very fast DR is very good also

LOL TS seems to have gone from one poisonous place in real life to another in the cyber world.

the Sony Zeiss 135mm F1.8 is a dream to use.... i used it on the LAEA-4 with the A7/A7R and it was fantastic.

will be a perfect match to the A99 and better handling compared to using on A7 series.

85 1.4 i would go for the Sigma version instead of Zeiss for the Sigma silent internal focusing.

50 1.4 of course the 50 Art from Sigma over the Zeiss.

35 1.4 also the sigma Art version.

70-200 F2.8 the Sony G version has a mark II version i believe. but no experience with that lens.

Wow!
The price of this lens can buy my entire collection of lenses with change to spare

That's what I afraid of.... :embrass:

Thank you all for the input..... more homework for me..... :what:

Last edited: