A900 is the 1st and last flagship dslr for sony?

soken

Mar 5, 2009
Biopolis
Hi,

Just saw a few ppl discussing about that sony will not focus its photo business in classic dslr cameras but will focus more on slt cameras, there are rumors about the full frame a99..which is a full frame a55. it seems that a900 turns out to be the 1st and last flagship dslr for sony.:(

Thinking of getting a a900 soon, i check on price.com.hk that the a900 is about 18000hkd, around 3000 sgd, it seems that it is not really cheap in hk. any one bought a900 in local shop recently? may i know how much does it cost?

Thank you.

good nite..:)

Last edited:
Rumors rumors and rumors... when instead, sony has said it's committed to full-frame cameras, and understands that OVF is important.

Supposedly the new FF camera will be out end of 2011. But I'm not going to fall into this rumor-mill of "oh no it's only SLT or will there be OVF" nonsense. If you like the A900 now (and I love mine with a CZ135....) then get an A900. Still quite a few on sale in the local shops, and there's always JB.

based on personal usage experience, a850 is good enough, a900 is a good to have.

Sony will mostly continue everything it has of now, don't worry about rumours... before A55 and A33 were launched... some even said Sony will pull out of DSLR market.. well years has passed... and market share has increased so much that sales of Sony DSLRs has exceeded over the incumbents.

don't worry, u are on the right track.

If there is a FF on the size of A55, I will definitely get it. :thumbsup:

Thinking of getting a a900 soon, i check on price.com.hk that the a900 is about 18000hkd, around 3000 sgd, it seems that it is not really cheap in hk. any one bought a900 in local shop recently? may i know how much does it cost?

3k for a brand new A900? Whoa...

You can get cheaper price than the quoted price above in Singapore? How cheap you think is reasonable? :think:

3k for a brand new A900? Whoa...

You can get cheaper price than the quoted price above in Singapore? How cheap you think is reasonable? :think:

if i am not wrong, i saw once in the forum, a guy bought his a900 in local shop at 3300. brand new with warranty. please note that 3k in hk, you can only get those so called 水货

If there is a FF on the size of A55, I will definitely get it. :thumbsup:

please wait for a little longer.. a new body is coming out soon.

if i am not wrong, i saw once in the forum, a guy bought his a900 in local shop at 3300. brand new with warranty. please note that 3k in hk, you can only get those so called 水货

I think you are wrong, current RRP for A900 set by Sony is about 4.3k in SG. Getting something that is more than 10% off from the price is difficult here. I bought my A900 at BnS here, about 2.7k.

Unless this guy is really lucky/ I remember my friends bought Sony gear at unbelievable rate, 300mmF2.8 at roughly 7k! But this was rare, and was mainly due the shop is ending its business. Guess the competition too tough, so sell away all the items to cut loses.

As long as long you can get the shop to convert the warranty to international warranty, the item should be safe to buy.

Last edited:
please wait for a little longer.. a new body is coming out soon.

soon? Sony already stated that the next FF will be out in 2012...

This year we'll hv the A77, which is an APS-C semi pro camera.

comparing A900 with other FF/FX brands, it has its own class in term of image quality and performance.
This year is APS-C sensor class bodies upgrading for Sony including the top end A700 successor.
This upgrade will bring us to the clue about new FF body next year..

Juzz wait and see what will Sony brings to make.believe for all of us :D

dpreview ( yea I know they are N biased ) concluded that the A850 are excellent at base ISO but huge drop in performance as ISO increase..

do you guys ( the a850/900 users) find ISO800/1600 too noisy?

dpreview ( yea I know they are N biased ) concluded that the A850 are excellent at base ISO but huge drop in performance as ISO increase..

Nope.

But then again, it's just like the D3X. The sensor there is designed to be a low-iso, high-DR resolution monster. And it excels there.

Based on my personal experience a850 raw files are still good up till ISO3200.

Below shot is taken @ ISO3200 and processed with LR3. Ever since Adobe updated it's RAW processor, the weird colour smearing previously seen on Sony RAW files are gone

4767919842_94ac1f0ef3_z.jpg

don't worry guys, FF DSLR is here to stay and expand for Sony. Bear in mind, Sony is making DSLR sensors for Nikon as well, don't believe? go see their photos beginning with "DSC.."

A850 is good enough for those who want good Full Frame photos. A900 is a plus with extra features.

I had never regret getting A850. I had also forgotten about the money invested in.

i think i am going for a 850, a900 is about 1000 sgd more than a850, which is 2 high for me.
can anyone suggest some decent shops selling a850 at good price? Thanks.

i think i am going for a 850, a900 is about 1000 sgd more than a850, which is 2 high for me.
can anyone suggest some decent shops selling a850 at good price? Thanks.

Mscolor , Cathay photos, slr revo