A850 Street Price...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meng47

Mar 8, 2009
Thinking of getting a Sony A850, hope some bros out there who got it can share with me watz the price u can get n where.

Did some homework aledy:

1) Sony Gallery - $2,999/- (Body + Sony 8GB HS MS Duo)
2) S**g Bros. - $2,899/- (Unknown 8GB Card)
3) MS C. - $2,699/- (Sony 8GB HS MS Duo / Extra Sony Batt) - Normal CC charge = +2% / CC instalment (any banks) = +5%
4) C.P. - $2,650/- (Body + Sony 8GB HS MS Duo) - No additional charge for normal CC charge or instalment (only Citi, DBS, OCBC)
5) Any others? (Dun need the extra freebies)

Obviously i havent been doing much homework (pls dun :flame: me) but due to irregular working hrs, i cant really shop around asking prices. The above r done by calling them up.

If not convenient to disclose here, can drop me a PM.

All helps/feedbacks r greatly appreciated.

Thks in advance!

Last edited:
oh god, you shouldnt be posting this. those shops are going to get the chopping block from sony liao. all this info is for your own eyes only. sony has stringent pricing control here, so please dont get the shops into trouble.

Last edited:
Hi,

Please remove this posting asap.

Regards

oh god, you shouldnt be posting this. those shops are going to get the chopping block from sony liao. all this info is for your own eyes only. sony has stringent pricing control here, so please dont get the shops into trouble.

Sorry, didnt noe tat...

I'm not sure about sony's stand in this, but I personally dont think it's an issue.
They can impose a RRP but i dont think they can fix the prices nor prevent shops from doing parallel imports of their product.
The worst that can happen will be removal of the 'preferred dealer' status, which i think shops which does parallel imports dont bother with anyway.

leechee2
"Please remove this posting asap."

XkaOnslaught
"oh god, you shouldnt be posting this. "

Why was the thread closed, to kill discussion of the cheapest place to buy a Sony A850?

Is this forum for the benefit of its members or for the benefit of Sony?

The shops should stand up to Sony. Sony needs the outlets more than the outlets need Sony cameras. If Sony stopped a shop's supplies I would buy Canon.

leechee2
"Please remove this posting asap."

XkaOnslaught
"oh god, you shouldnt be posting this. "

Why was the thread closed, to kill discussion of the cheapest place to buy a Sony A850?

Is this forum for the benefit of its members or for the benefit of Sony?

The shops should stand up to Sony. Sony needs the outlets more than the outlets need Sony cameras. If Sony stopped a shop's supplies I would buy Canon.

Hi bro,

I m the thread starter for the previous "A850 Street Price". :embrass:

In case u or other forumers misunderstood tat the previous thread was closed by the moderators, i need to clarify tat itz actually closed by me when i received the two replies by fellow forumers. I was so worried tat i might get someone into trouble by posting tat after the replies, hence, i closed it immediately after my last post.

Hope tiz incident ease off peacefully.

Regards.

Last edited:
Actually I had the same sentiments as well previously.

In fact, any tom dick or harry who calls into these shops are given streetprice immediately. I do not know what's the fuss about publicly posting the pricing since the pricing can be gotten publicly anyway.

Sony should be very well aware of the price these shops are selling, unless they are so so dumb...anyway, if they are really that strict, then do not distribute to these shops. Might as well only sell in SonyStyle at RRP then...

BTW, RRP is Recommended Retail Price....if no discounts is allowed, then it should be called OSTP...Only Sell This Price!!!

Last edited:
In any case, we have 'official' price guide threads as well, and the prices given there are below the RRP too.

Actually I had the same sentiments as well previously.

In fact, any tom dick or harry who calls into these shops are given streetprice immediately. I do not know what's the fuss about publicly posting the pricing since the pricing can be gotten publicly anyway.

Sony should be very well aware of the price these shops are selling, unless they are so so dumb...anyway, if they are really that strict, then do not distribute to these shops. Might as well only sell in SonyStyle at RRP then...

BTW, RRP is Recommended Retail Price....if no discounts is allowed, then it should be called OSTP...Only Sell This Price!!!

it can be gotten publicly , but its a unwritten rule in the sony camp that whatever price you got from whatever shop, you should keep it to yourself. You can post the price, but please keep the shop that gave you the price a secret. Isnt this how e-quotes are supposed to work anyway? if not, why you dont see those shop so openly advertise their prices of their products?

threads merged and re-opened for discussion.

For me, and I am sure many others, one of the most important features of Clubsnap is being able to find out equipment prices and the cheap places to buy it. In 5 weeks time I shall buy a new full-frame camera and two lenses. Where I purchase will be determined by Clubsnap and PhotoMalaysia. It would save a lot of time and trouble if a full, detailed, up-to-date 'real' price list of Sony cameras and lenses, and all of the others too, was kept on Clubsnap.

If Sony doesn't like retailers giving out discount prices then they can restrict the selling of their products to full RRP at SonyStyle, and go out of business. We, the customers with $$ in our pocket, have the whip-hand, not Sony. It is time we started cracking that whip.

Last edited:
it can be gotten publicly , but its a unwritten rule in the sony camp that whatever price you got from whatever shop, you should keep it to yourself. You can post the price, but please keep the shop that gave you the price a secret. Isnt this how e-quotes are supposed to work anyway? if not, why you dont see those shop so openly advertise their prices of their products?

I would see it as a "unwritten rule" given by those shops themselves in order to save guard their own profits.

Any person buying from these shops could be in anyway related to people working in Sony or are employees of Sony, so there's actually nothing to hide. The official receipts already is proof of purchase.

I also dun see these shops openly advertising prices of other brands as well at their shops...only put RRP...

So where is the issue now and from whom?

Last edited:
I have to agree with the people who thinks posting street prices isn't wrong.

This is a market economony and people are allowed to sell openly with the price they deem as right.

Sony doesn't have "control" over the prices because it all comes down to how much they themselves want to sell it to the retailers in the first place. Isn't that what retailers are for? That is how businesses are run and the role from a manufacturer to a retailer is fulfilled , which sets the RRP but by no means is it a collusive cartel or whatsoever where the price is strictly controlled.

If Sony isn't happy, they'll raise the initial selling price and the retailers will not sell as cheaply because obviously the retailers wouldn't make any money if they are selling below cost price.

This "unwritten" rule is probably set by individuals who want to protect the retailers because they gave them "special" price and to be honest, that's just sales and marketing gimmicks. You probably thought you got some super offer and you are supposed to be hush about it but in the end, the retailers gets the last laugh and you are happily "chopped" by them because you compared the prices with Sony and thought that its much cheaper. But that isn't even the comparison because Sony runs a "brand" shop and their products are catered to different target market (in shopping malls, Sony brand lovers)

The internet has a vast wealth of resources and information like these are not hard to find elsewhere so I believe posting streeet prices shouldn't be a problem because you know what? the retailers can change them anytime and the price varies on how much you "know" the person and posting such stuff actually help boost sales for them! its free advertising you know.

In this place, the one with lower prices or good customer service gets the customers and that's just fair competition. It's business at the end of the day.

Nikon/Canon/Pentax have their price listed at the price guides section and Sony has an unwritten rule listed here by not sure who. I personally do not think that it is an issue at all to post street prices. I'm rather uncomfortable by the fear mongering going on here regarding this issue.

Well, since you are Bruce Lee I personally don't think you should be afraid of anything man........ Even Chuck Norris got his *ss handed too..... just joking! Thank you for posting this thread btw.... this helps alot!

well this is a forum, and in the end, i have no right as to restrict as to what you post since im not mod/admin, so ill just forget about it. i just hope nothing bad will happen.

Don't the spoil the market lah. For those who wants to openly publish the price, don't expect me to reply PM or SMS on how much did I pay for my Sony gears. ;)

1. Sony resellers signed an agreement to sell at RRP, and not lower. Therefore selling at a discount can get the shop into trouble (Cathay received stocks of the 70-300G 2 weeks after the others because of a street price posted on CS seen by Sony).

2. When the shops send you the e-quote, it specifically states that it is confidential and you should not share it. To then immediately post it on a forum says a lot about character.

3. In CS, there's an "Edit" button. Please use it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.