A700 -> a55 slt.......

Yup.. Great lens... Love the optics, love the weight.. soooooo light compared to 5D+24105.

Welcome to Alphas... Btw any comments on noise level? ;) To be honest, I'm pretty impressed by the focusing speed, colors (skin tone-I'm using vivid setting though) and the Multi NR ISO features. The features are pretty useful. The video boken is nice and object focused is very sharp. Very worth buy. I'm currently shooting with Kits (already very outstanding sharpness in video/photos using +3 in-camera sharpening) though. I also like the DOF preview in the lview view and also the lview really helps you to determine the right exposure, that's quite accurate in my opinion. Plus the live histogram is a big bonus.

I havent really find out what I dun like. The battery life span is abit short, Its ok though I already order online 2 original (I guess from the picture's packing) from HK. EVF is quite informative. Oh, other thing I also forgot is the when I was out door shooting in BG, the sensor heated up quickly. I had 3 overheating problems..

Btwm my A55's firmware is 1.10 but dyxum's site stated it was 1.00. Wonder what's the improvement. Ok That's for all now, hope you enjoy ur new cam. ;)

Welcome to Alphas... Btw any comments on noise level? ;) To be honest, I'm pretty impressed by the focusing speed, colors (skin tone-I'm using vivid setting though) and the Multi NR ISO features. The features are pretty useful. The video boken is nice and object focused is very sharp. Very worth buy. I'm currently shooting with Kits (already very outstanding sharpness in video/photos using +3 in-camera sharpening) though. I also like the DOF preview in the lview view and also the lview really helps you to determine the right exposure, that's quite accurate in my opinion. Plus the live histogram is a big bonus.

I havent really find out what I dun like. The battery life span is abit short, Its ok though I already order online 2 original (I guess from the picture's packing) from HK. EVF is quite informative. Oh, other thing I also forgot is the when I was out door shooting in BG, the sensor heated up quickly. I had 3 overheating problems..

Btwm my A55's firmware is 1.10 but dyxum's site stated it was 1.00. Wonder what's the improvement. Ok That's for all now, hope you enjoy ur new cam. ;)

Thanks Bro for the welcome. I love the sharpness and color now, over the previous system. As for noise, on my 14" laptop, from a shortsighted non professional amatuer hobbyist, I am happy too. I'm sure if we are to blow up, or for professional eye, there will be a difference. For me, i'm fine.

Went a wedding with A55+CZ, and the professional photographer fren using 5DM2, tested the A55+CZ combo, with iso 1250 i think, from the screen, she mentioned its noisy.

But I guess, its never fair to compare the noise control of a FF and a APSC body, as we all know the outcome. And its not fair to compare a 2005 sensor to a 2010 sensor, which is why I stop comparing the shots from my 5D+24105L to A55+1680CZ. Mounted both setup on tripod, with IS/SSS switch off, at 24mm ( 16mm on the CZ ) . Set the jpg to neutral for both body.

Upon the review on my laptop, the A55+CZ jpg is sharper and more vivid colors over the other setup. I did not bother to review the raw files at all. I like what I see, and thats good enough for me. No need to go into the technical, as I am just a amatuer hobbyist.

As for the focusing, as we all know, the 5D focusing isn't that great. Previously I have issue focusing on my niece, who is always running around... With my new setup... its easiler for me to focus on my actively running around niece...

I'm cheapo, I just ordered 2 3rd party batteries too. 50% the cost of the "Original" ones online. Bro, share with us if your "original" battery turns out well.

A buddy recently just discovered a negative point of the A55, which applies to A33 too.. Let's see if we can find another workaround soon, apart from what he had already suggested, which may affect the exposure. Check out "the other forum" for the problem mentioned.

What about the AF performance of the A55 when taking macro, (specifically with a Tamron90/2.8 macro lens, which is what I have)? With my A700, and my laziness on carrying tripod for shooting, find it quite tiring peeping through the VF, and often getting more oof shots than acceptable one.

Any one have tried using the A55 to take macro video, say on some insect activity? Or is it possible at all?

thanks.

yup i'm thinking of selling my a700 also for the A55 can't wait

What about the AF performance of the A55 when taking macro, (specifically with a Tamron90/2.8 macro lens, which is what I have)? With my A700, and my laziness on carrying tripod for shooting, find it quite tiring peeping through the VF, and often getting more oof shots than acceptable one.

Any one have tried using the A55 to take macro video, say on some insect activity? Or is it possible at all?

thanks.

Bro wk2004 shot this with a Nex5 : http://www.flickr.com/photos/koobird/5060092131/

I'm sure the A55 would do just as well if not better with it's PDAF focusing.

thanks.

macro shots will be easier with the DSLTs, due to the ability to magnify the image in EVF as well as live view. Not to mention there's no mirror slap, so there's less vibrations (in macro, even tiny vibrations can cause the focus to shift due to the extremely shallow DOF)

macro shots will be easier with the DSLTs, due to the ability to magnify the image in EVF as well as live view. Not to mention there's no mirror slap, so there's less vibrations (in macro, even tiny vibrations can cause the focus to shift due to the extremely shallow DOF)

Totally agree. The weight of the A700 is heavy, without tripod, my hands usually got tired before I could get a proper focus lock on the subject.

Hopefully, some brothers and sisters using the A55 here could share some of their macro works. ;-)

Totally agree. The weight of the A700 is heavy, without tripod, my hands usually got tired before I could get a proper focus lock on the subject.

Hopefully, some brothers and sisters using the A55 here could share some of their macro works. ;-)
give me a pm if u are letting go ur a700 :p

full frame with slt, interesting idea. full frame penta mirror can be very heavy. but evf can't really match ovf.

full frame with slt, interesting idea. full frame penta mirror can be very heavy. but evf can't really match ovf.

there are advantages to OVF, but there are also something good about EVF as well. For example the amount of information that can be displayed, the ability to magnify images in EVF (which is extremely good for macro and portraiture shots).

So, instead of choosing between OVf and EVF, why not have BOTH EVF and OVF!

The Fuji finepix X100 has already done it, it can switch between an EVF and OVF. If Sony can implement this into their DSLT, it will cater to everyone, those who like OVF and those who likes EVF. Wanna save power? Switch to OVF. Wanna do macro, switch to EVF. The potential usefulness of having BOTH viewfinders is endless~

taken from digitalcamerareview.com

AF Acquisition (press-to-capture, no pre-focus)

Camera Time (seconds)
Sony Alpha SLT-A55V 0.16
Nikon D3S 0.18
Canon Rebel T2i 0.18
Pentax K-7 0.29

enough said...

haha.. less than 1k camera performing better than a full frame D3s? now thats really amazing.

taken from digitalcamerareview.com

AF Acquisition (press-to-capture, no pre-focus)

Camera Time (seconds)
Sony Alpha SLT-A55V 0.16
Nikon D3S 0.18
Canon Rebel T2i 0.18
Pentax K-7 0.29

enough said...

I've mention it somewhere before ! :bsmilie: ...the 10fps is nothing compared with the AF speed ! ...it's even more impressive in the dark !!! :devil: