A200 beginner question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshep

Oct 23, 2007
Hi everyone,

Just got my A200 today - my first DSLR. Just have a question while playing around with it. Under certain conditions, the flash makes a weird buzzing sound, like a bee. Happens in low light while the shutter is pressed halfway down and the camera is trying to get a lock. It buzzes twice when the flash is on for about 0.5 sec each time. Sounds like the flashbulb is going to blow. Is this normal?

Thanks!!

u might want to pick up a sony flash that has AF illuminator if u find the buzzing too irritating , of course at the expense of having ur camera heavier

dun worry... i was surprise when i hv my a200... its normal... the flash is trying to do some kinda focusing cum metering especially in veri poor lighting conditions... i think they called it the TTL flash... i am not that good with the technical terms... but i can definitely tell u... ITS NORMAL...

do ask me if u wanna noe more abt the functions.. i am a a200 user also.... hard to find someone will get a200 nowsaday...

dun worry... i was surprise when i hv my a200... its normal... the flash is trying to do some kinda focusing cum metering especially in veri poor lighting conditions... i think they called it the TTL flash... i am not that good with the technical terms... but i can definitely tell u... ITS NORMAL...

do ask me if u wanna noe more abt the functions.. i am a a200 user also.... hard to find someone will get a200 nowsaday...

I believe the Pre-flash TTL burst only fires after you press the shutter button, but an instant before the shutter is actually opened. The buzzing sound TS reported is, as mentioned before, just the AF assist illuminating the target area briefly so that phase detection AF sensors can lock on.

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp_mm.php

And congrats on your purchase btw ;)

Thanks for all the prompt replies and offers for advice! :)

Have been playing around with it for about a day now and think that maybe I might need a faster lens than the kit lens. Been taking quite a few low light / night shots. Any recommendations for a good (and not too expensive) f2.8 zoom or prime?

oooh... all depends on whats ur budget... how u consider expensive....

Firstly, welcome to the Alpha family.

If you're taking night photography, I would recommend a tripod rather than a fast lens. It really depends on how wide you want to go and how much you're willing to pay.

Here are a few fast lenses for your reference:

Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
Sigma 30mm f1.4
KM 20mm f2.8
KM 24mm f2.8
KM 28mm f2.8
KM / Sony 35mm f1.4G
KM 50mm f1.7
KM / Sony 50mm f1.4
KM 28-75mm f2.8
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ
Sigma / Tamron /Tokina / Vivitar 28-70mm f2.8
Sigma 24-70mm f2.8

Of course there are some longer ranges ones.

Anyway, the kit lens is pretty decent and I suggest that you make the full use of it before considering getting another lens. Of course, if you have the extra cash, the 50mm f1.7 would be nice to have considering it's range, price & lens IQ.

Last edited:
Budget is about S$600. Thinking of getting a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but that KM 50mm f1.7 sounds interesting. What is the price like for that?

Budget is about S$600. Thinking of getting a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 but that KM 50mm f1.7 sounds interesting. What is the price like for that?

If you can find it? Should be about SGD 200 if mint.

Status
Not open for further replies.