A Weekend with the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

signoftimes

Sep 24, 2010
A Weekend with the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

The very first time that I got to be seriously interested in the world of photography was at the time when I first watched the advertisement of the Canon EOS 7D around the year 2009. I can recall that it featured the Japanese actor, Ken Watanabe.

Over five years passed by since then. The much anticipated refresh of the original Canon EOS 7D came in the form of EOS 7D Mark II.

I spent a weekend with the camera with the courtesy from Canon Singapore. Here’s my brief experience from using it the first time. Since I used the 5D Mark III and the 7D, I would be making references and comparisons.

Specifications

- 20MP Dual-Pixel AF CMOS Sensor
- 10 fps continuous shooting with autofocus
- 65 all cross-type autofocus sensor
- 150,000 RGB + IR pixel metering sensor
- Dual Digic 6 processors
- Enhanced environmental sealing
- Compact Flash (UDMA) and SD (UHS-I) slots
- USB 3.0
- Built-in GPS
- Larger-capacity LP-E6N battery
- Shutter speeds up to 1/8000th seconds
- Shutter rated to 200,000 cycles (vs 150,000 on 7D)

Build of Camera Body

The build of the camera body is definitely something that is important to me. The feel of the 7D Mark II is absolutely sturdy and well-built. It feels very much like top quality materials are used in all aspects. The grip feels very much like the 5D Mark III that I own.

The weight of the 7D Mark II feels very much similar to the original 7D although technically, it is approximately 20 grams heavier.

The magnesium alloy is used for the structure of the camera body and is weather-resistant just like the original 7D.

Sensor

The Canon 7D Mark II features an APS-C sensor with a crop factor of 1.6x.

The highest image resolution of 7D Mark II at 20MP is 2MP higher than the original 7D. This jump in resolution means larger image file size.

The 7D Mark II processing is supported by two Digic 6 processors and this is currently the most powerful in the offerings from Canon by far. Just as a quick comparison, the 7D uses two Digic 4 processors, the 5D Mark III uses a single Digic 5+ processor while the 1DX uses two Digic 5+ processors.

Dials and Controls

Mode Dial

The Mode Dial on the 7D Mark II is very well-built with a secure mechanism that only allows changes to the mode with the centre button depressed. This feature was first introduced in the Canon EOS 60D. I am glad that this is also implemented in the 7D Mark II.

This new Mode Dial on the 7D Mark II feels a lot better than the old one from the 7D.

7D Mark II Mode Dial (Left) and 7D Mode Dial (Right)

$7DII Mode Dial.jpg $7D Mode Dial.jpg

The Quick Control Dial

When I first got to use the original 7D, I was surprised the way the Quick Control Dial worked with the ‘Set’ button in the centre rotating along with the scroll wheel (see below). At that point in time as a new 7D user then, I seriously thought that the ‘Set’ button got stuck somehow. It would worry a first time user. I did some research and found out that it was meant to be that way.

I am glad that this is no longer the case with the new 7D Mark II. This gives any first time user peace of mind. :)

7D II Mark Quick Control Dial (Left) and 7D Mark Quick Control Dial (Right)

$7DII Quick CTL Dial.jpg $7D Quick CTL Dial.jpg

Focussing

The 7D has 19 focussing points and during those days, I always thought that was a lot to use. When I started using my 5D Mark III, 61 focussing points was something over-whelming then. Well, I got use to that and it gave me a lot of flexibility.

Now, the 7D Mark II has a whopping 65 focussing points!!! WOW!!! This is also the only camera in Canon’s line-up currently with 65 focussing points (the 1DX and the 5D Mark III both have 61).

I like how the focussing points can be selected by single, zones…etc. This gives me a lot of flexibility in different shooting scenarios and applications.

I use single point focussing most of my shooting. I must say that the focussing is really blazing fast. It feels almost as though the the shutter’s half-press would immediately set the focus locked on.

Optical Viewfinder

Loads of information can be seen within the viewfinder of the 7D Mark II. What I love is the electronic level information on the top centre. It tells the shooter whether the camera is level and helps a great deal when shooting landscape ensuring the image comes out without being slanted.

7D Mark II Optical Viewfinder

$7DII View.jpg

LCD Monitor

It feels a little different when I first used the LCD monitor. Then I realise that the display size is 3” instead of 3.2” that I have been so used to with my 5D Mark III.

It has jumped up to 1,040,000 dots on the display from the original 960,000. This is a big welcome for me since the resolution of the sensor has increased and it helps me in checking image quality more accurately.

Sample Images

I seem to have issue uploading more that five files, so I will try to do so in later posts.

Reactions: catchlights
Bro . Each post allows a maximum of 5 images :) if u have more , start another post or 'reply'

Thanks.