A walk through Singapore Botanic Gardens

Macnmotion

Sep 19, 2014
Bangkok
Hi everyone. I had an opportunity to visit the Singapore Botanic Gardens this week with my macro lens. Here are some of my photos. I'm including the water monitor because it was shot with my macro lens and tubes (it's all I had with me) -- I had to get very close.

I shot the big spider along the Rainforest Walk, however other than that the Rainforest area was a disappointment. You cannot leave the roped-off walkway, so most everything is out of reach. My favorite spots were The Dell and the Marsh Garden, low points in the Botanic Gardens with water, humidity and lots of bugs.

Andy

Female Mangrove St. Andrew's Cross Spider

IMG_9545.jpg

Wide Jaw Viciria jumping spider

IMG_9595a.jpg

Maroon Darter Dragonfly with parasites

IMG_9664.jpg

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9589.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some additional photos from Singapore Botanic Gardens:

IMG_9523.jpg

IMG_9613.jpg

IMG_9632.jpg

IMG_9631.jpg

IMG_9576.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing, great job!

nice.. may I know what lens did you use for this shot?

nice.. may I know what lens did you use for this shot?

Hy Mannylen,

Sorry for not including technical information in the original post.

Canon 5D2
Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro
Kenko complete extension tube set (taking magnification to about 1.8x)
Meike MK-14EXT Ring Flash set to TTL (auto)

Most photos were taken at ISO 200, 1/125th second and F18 in Manual Mode.

Note that the photos of the Monitor Lizard were shot with only the two smaller of the extension tubes -- there was no way I could get as close as required with all three. Also, a couple of dragonfly photos showing the entire body were shot without the extension tubes.

Interesting finds :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good time in Singapore :)

Interesting finds :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good time in Singapore :)

I was there for Thai visa business, and spent all my spare time in the Gardens. So yes, I enjoyed the trip -- the gardens are beautiful and peaceful. Even in the morning when I went and it rained for a couple hours, it was a nice change of pace from the traffic and noise in Bangkok!