A Question on Focal Length Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingmuffyn

Mar 28, 2007
We all noe dat sensors on DSLRs are about 1.5X smaller than normal 35mm film. So my 18-70mm kit DX Nikkor lenses on my D70 wld give me a field of view equivalent to a 27-105mm on a normal film SLR.

What happens if I tranplant my 18-70mm DX onto a normal film SLR?

And if I transplant a normal 27-105mm lens onto my D70, would it mean i would get field of views equivalent to 40-158mm?

:confused:

What happens if I tranplant my 18-70mm DX onto a normal film SLR?

And if I transplant a normal 27-105mm lens onto my D70, would it mean i would get field of views equivalent to 40-158mm?

1. You will get vignetted photos. Because DX lenses are not able to cover the entire frame in film.

2. Yes. (I didn't take a calculator. But you got the idea right.)

The 18-70 DX was Nikon's solution to the old 28-105 being neither here nor there on the APS-C sensor.

On an unrelated note... your nick and the unique spelling is very familiar. Do I know you from elsewhere? Mmm... RCC?

it's all about the image circle formed by the lens, but our sensor captures a rectangle of the circle image, that's why our photos are rectangular.

Field of View crop happens because our comsumer level DSLRS have sensors smaller than the 35mm film format.

For Example,
if you compare 2 cameras, one with Full Frame 35mm sensor and one with a APS-C sensor (1.6x crop)
with the same lens, the diff between the 2 photos taken is that there is more area around the Full Frame as comapred to the 1.6x crop photo.

hope this answers your doubt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.