A prime or zoom Macro Lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmite

Jul 27, 2008
On the Purple Line
Hi all

I'm contemplating whether to buy a prime or zoom macro lens ? Any advice. I heard a prime macro lens is superior than a zoom.

Hi all

I'm contemplating whether to buy a prime or zoom macro lens ? Any advice. I heard a prime macro lens is superior than a zoom.
superior in what sense?

If you are referring to sharpness, generally its true but have to see compare with what zoom lens.

So you want to compare what lens with what lens?

Hi all

Eh... from what I know, there is only 1 zoom macro lens and it's from Nikon 70-180.

Which are you comparing it to?

You probably mean those Sigma telephoto zooms that have the word macro on it. I would say, having owned one 28-300 Sigma Macro and a Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro, that the 100 is miles better. The zoom ones are not true macro lenses, won't give you 1:1 ratio.

Last edited:
You probably mean those Sigma telephoto zooms that have the word macro on it. I would say, having owned one 28-300 Sigma Macro and a Canon 100 mm f2.8 macro, that the 100 is miles better. The zoom ones are not true macro lenses, won't give you 1:1 ratio.

Further, being non-dedicated macros (and zoom lenses at that!) you can't expect the IQ you'll get from prime macros :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.