A possible MF newbie here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SzennyBoy

Mar 3, 2002
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
Hi all,

It appears that I'm gonna participate in this forum more now as I'm about to take over the care of my dad's unused Hasselblad 503cw system with 3 lenses, 2 magazines and a PME 51 prism finder. :D

Do you fellas know what's involved if I decide to go digital with this kit? As I understand it, there are a few now-discontinued digital backs that may fit the 503cw. Does anyone know which brands and models these are (other that the Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus)?

Thanks for any info here.

SzennyBoy said:
Hi all,

It appears that I'm gonna participate in this forum more now as I'm about to take over the care of my dad's unused Hasselblad 503cw system with 3 lenses, 2 magazines and a PME 51 prism finder. :D

Do you fellas know what's involved if I decide to go digital with this kit? As I understand it, there are a few now-discontinued digital backs that may fit the 503cw. Does anyone know which brands and models these are (other that the Kodak DCS Pro Back Plus)?

Thanks for any info here.

hey, szennyboy!

wonder if u still remember me? we met at SEED 2-3mths back at penin, b4 u flew back to UK? :)

i searched ard for u. this is a chart by hassy themselves.
http://www.hasselblad.com/Archive/documents/TableHTML/digi_chart_&w=665x600.html

hope it helps?

Thanks a bunch, nightwolf75... Looks like there are quite a few back available for the 503cw (with and without the Winder). I think I'll investigate the options with the Winder as I'm pretty sure I'll get that eventually.

Digital backs for medium format [incl Hassy] are VERY VERY EXPENSIVE. It's really difficult to justify the cost unless you're really doing a lot of 'highly paid' work with your medium format system.

A better way is to shoot colour negs [or black n white], and have the lab process and immediate scan digitally onto CDs.

br/porcupine

I think after this initial "intro" into the world of Digital MF prices I think I'm going to stick to shooting B&W so that I can do my own processing and look into upgrading my current 35mm film scanner to something like the Minolta's Multi Pro or the Nikon Coolscan 8000/9000.

I'll reconsider the digital backs if I decide to get more involved with shooting as a paid sideline.

SzennyBoy said:
I think after this initial "intro" into the world of Digital MF prices I think I'm going to stick to shooting B&W so that I can do my own processing and look into upgrading my current 35mm film scanner to something like the Minolta's Multi Pro or the Nikon Coolscan 8000/9000.

I'll reconsider the digital backs if I decide to get more involved with shooting as a paid sideline.

Instead of buying the scanner, you might want to think about sending the negs to a proper lab for a drum scan. Where MF is concerned, you won't have the volume that 35mm shooters have and you won't have to plonk out so much $ for a capital investment that might become obsolete, need maintenance, etc....

pipefish said:
Instead of buying the scanner, you might want to think about sending the negs to a proper lab for a drum scan. Where MF is concerned, you won't have the volume that 35mm shooters have and you won't have to plonk out so much $ for a capital investment that might become obsolete, need maintenance, etc....

Possibly a viable option but the pro labs cost quite a bit more here in London compared to S'pore. I agree that I may not have as much volume of shots as I do on my 35mm setup but I still scan all my own 35mm's so self-scanning is not really an issue. An upgrade of scanner would also give me higher resolution capabilities on my 35mm scans as well. I'm also not too worried about the obsolescence issue as I don't plan to print stuff larger than the current capabilities of my 2100. If I do, then the pro labs can deal with it all - scanning and printing! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.