A non-Canon DSLR user - Legacy Lenses on Modern Cameras - I want to use Canon DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

diediealsomustdive

Apr 2, 2006
CCK
Simple question: how flexible is the Canon EF FF and APS-C DSLR system in accepting adapter and legacy lenses, e.g. Canon FD, Minolta MD, Contax CY, Pentax PK, Olympus OM lenses?

Long version: There have been a revival in the past few years with the M43 first stirring up the adapter-legacy lens craze that has gone viral. I have attempted to do just that first with Panasonic and Olympus, then (now) I am using Fujifilm X system.

But I hate focusing manual lenses on EVF or LCD. I love having a good OVF, hopefully with split-image screen, to focus my manual lenses. With Nikon MF lenses that is exactly what I am doing. But Nikon has a flange distance that is not friendly to lenses of other brands...

To put things in perspective, I am attempting to do all kinds of strange things, e.g. enlarger lenses, 645 lenses from folding camera, large format lens, and the less strange - Canon FD, Minolta MD, Contax CY, Pentax PK, Olympus OM lenses; and adapting them to modern DSLR for fun. For the first part - the enlarger lenses, etc, I have some success getting on to my Nikon, with all kinds of adapters, e.g. M39-M42, M42 focusing helicoid, M42-Nikon F. I have even attempting replacing the OM mount, but the lens won't focus to infinity in one instance, and another lens there are other complication like screw length is wrong...

Bobatkins.com>photography>eosfaq>manual focus lenses

You have to kill the mounts on fd and fl lenses then recalibrate infinty...the best ones are way to precious for that. Minolta impossible. Pentax okay.

All of this to get no extra glass between lens and sensor.

Also works okay on crop sensor...more dangerous on full frame because of mirror.

Why Canon?

Last edited:
The Canon DSLR was the best FF system for legacy lenses previously as its shorter flange distance means that it can mount lenses from a few brands with simple adapters.
Eg. M42, Nikon Ais, Pentax (mod needed).

However, no FD.
Pentax PK needs a lever removal mod.
Can't remember for the rest.

Thats why mirrorless have become more common for adapting old lenses.

If you want to use a FF Canon DSLR for MF lenses, then do get a precision focusing screen as well (EE-F or EE-G iirc).

But I hate focusing manual lenses on EVF or LCD. I love having a good OVF, hopefully with split-image screen, to focus my manual lenses. With Nikon MF lenses that is exactly what I am doing. But Nikon has a flange distance that is not friendly to lenses of other brands...

But Nikon has a flange distance that is not friendly to lenses of other brands...

Who say!...shame on you senior member.:sticktong It's obvious you have not done proper research.

The reason M43 and other mirrorless cameras like sony easy adaptability to legacy lenses is based on a basic fact in optics which is every lens ever designed is based on the target focus plane of a camera system which is the film or image sensor.The fact that mirrorless do not use the mirror of SLR/DSLR which shortens the focus plane distance.Which technically means almost all legacy lenses can be used if an adapter is available for mirrorless systems.

Bad news for nikon digital owners as the flange distance and of the film cameras generation is that
it has THE LONGEST flange distance compared to other brands (35mm format) which mean that other brand's legacy legacy lenses will not focus to infinity unless a correction lens in put into the adapter which degrades image quality. However nikon legacy lenses can be used with adapter for other brands because it is the longest.:D The adapter is made longer (lens barrel) to accomodate the focal point/plane of focus.The bad news is canon,minolta and konica legacy lenses have the shortest flange distance
especially konica vs FF/apsc so either you chop the lens barrel which I don't recommend but use it on mirrorless systems but at longer focal length X2 perspective.Actually the only advantage of these lenses is the telephoto magnification, wide angle sucks..wide become normal or medium tele.:D

Of course legacy lenses only have manual focus and limited auto exposure controls for the simple fact that digital cameras have electrical contacts which are absent in the former.At best it's stopped downed metering only but some do have focus confirmation in viewfinder.As to the preference of focusing use whether optical or EVF it's just a matter of getting used to it and for evf systems there is a magnified view as well as peak focusing facilty depending on sophistication of camera system. I will not say more as this will push prices for legacy lenses to increase.:devil:

PS there are medium format adapters 6 X 4.5mm not cheap though.

Last edited:
Who say!...shame on you senior member.:sticktong It's obvious you have not done proper research.

Bad news for nikon digital owners as the flange distance and of the film cameras generation is that
it has THE LONGEST flange distance compared to other brands (35mm format) which mean that other brand's legacy legacy lenses will not focus to infinity unless a correction lens in put into the adapter which degrades image quality.

I do not appreciate terrible sarcastic remarks. Shame on you for not reading carefully. You said exactly what I said - Nikon has a flange distance that is not friendly to lenses of other brands... - if you know how to read, the flange distance is not friendly to lenses of other brands - means lenses of other brand cannot be fitted to Nikon camera. Why double shame on you, can't even read.

Clearly the others who responded understood what I wrote. Let's stop it here.

Last edited:
Bobatkins.com>photography>eosfaq>manual focus lenses

You have to kill the mounts on fd and fl lenses then recalibrate infinty...the best ones are way to precious for that. Minolta impossible. Pentax okay.

All of this to get no extra glass between lens and sensor.

Also works okay on crop sensor...more dangerous on full frame because of mirror.

Why Canon?

Thank you Nikonzen. You probably remember from another thread that I use a Nikon Df as well. And I am kinda frustrated to no end I cannot easily adapt other legacy brand lenses to use on a Nikon.

So my thoughts turned to Canon, easily available. Or should I go the way of Pentax?

OK, legacy Nikon lenses continue to live on my Nikon Df, and for all things that need speed I will continue with my AF and AFS lenses.

But I have this itch to play other brand old lenses - cheap and fun.

I will go read Bob Aktin's write-up carefully to figure that out. Killing the mount on FD, hmm... Re-calibrate infinity that I can do - just have to fiddle with the focusing helicoid, no issues.

Pentax - I will write my thoughts in my reply to the next response.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
The Canon DSLR was the best FF system for legacy lenses previously as its shorter flange distance means that it can mount lenses from a few brands with simple adapters.
Eg. M42, Nikon Ais, Pentax (mod needed).

However, no FD.
Pentax PK needs a lever removal mod.
Can't remember for the rest.

Thats why mirrorless have become more common for adapting old lenses.

If you want to use a FF Canon DSLR for MF lenses, then do get a precision focusing screen as well (EE-F or EE-G iirc).

Thanks Pinholecam for your advise.

I have opened up 2 PK mount lenses, both Ricoh Rikenon 50mm f/2 XR, one with S. The XR version will require removal of a complex aperture lever, but the XR S version I think the removal is straight forward.

I think M42 needs to do something as well - IIRC the aperture preset to always open needs to be removed as well.

And yes I do want to get the precision focusing MF focusing screen, and it is way cheaper than buying third party ones...

Thanks.

Thanks to all who responded with useful information. I got what I need and will now close the thread. Please forgive the "lack of research" in raising the question.

I think M42 needs to do something as well - IIRC the aperture preset to always open needs to be removed as well.
For M42, there are two designs: either aperture managed by ring, or aperture preset and the final closing before exposure is done by a pin pushed from camera body.
For the former, nothing needs to be done. You set the aperture and it closes down immediately.
For the second version, most adapters screwed on M42 lenses will push in the aperture pin. Thus, it will work as the former version.

PS: No need to get worked up about a pinch of sarcasm ;) Show him your teeth: smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.