a new wide angle lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aloykey

Jan 4, 2008
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new Wide angle. budget is below 700.
Any bros got any suggestion?

Saw reviews on both Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 10-20 .. which one is better? how much?

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new Wide angle. budget is below 700.
Any bros got any suggestion?

Saw reviews on both Tokina 11-16 and Sigma 10-20 .. which one is better? how much?

Close to 1000SGD for the Tokina.

Close to 1000SGD for the Tokina.

The Tokina used to be around S$850 first-hand, but recently they jacked up the prices to S$900-odd. From all accounts I've heard, it's a very good ultra-wide. Wouldn't regret getting one. But at the increased prices, try hunting for a second-hand one...

Hi,

I presume you are using a DX format camera. You may want to consider the following

I recommend Tamron or Tokina because of the colour..... Sigma seems to warm things up a little. Tamron (Soft Cool) and Tokina (hard cool) slightly cool similiar to the Nikkor lens... IMHO.

The 11~16mm is wide and fast but limited.

You might want to consider the new Tamron10~24mm (15~36mm view which is relatively useful for other than landscape) . I don't know the price..
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/1024_diII.asp

For $700, I recommend an older lens... ATX Pro 124 Tokina (12~24mm) VERY GOOD. ($730 ~$760 new in the market) Not as fast, f4, but still work very well for low light. Up to 1/24s.
Old lens though, but it works.

Cheers.

I have not done a comparison with any of the other wide angle options but do like the Sigma 10- 20mm. I use it on my Nikon D80.
Trolley_0095_700-1.jpg

Landing_Scope0142_800.jpg

Tokina 12-24 or sigma 10-20.
Or the tokina 11-16 F2.8

All the above lenses are recommended, depending on individual taste and budget.

Anyone considering the Tokina 12-24 f4 DX II? It's a newer version of the 12-24 with improved coating and internal motor for focusing. It just arrived at CP last week. I was quoted about $1050 w/GST.

Anyone considering the Tokina 12-24 f4 DX II? It's a newer version of the 12-24 with improved coating and internal motor for focusing. It just arrived at CP last week. I was quoted about $1050 w/GST.
oh got new lens?? hmm... for D40x need int motor so seems like you got no choice other then sigma.

You just try out the lens and see if it works for you.

oh got new lens?? hmm... for D40x need int motor so seems like you got no choice other then sigma.

You just try out the lens and see if it works for you.

no no no... the new Tokina comes with internal motor. It's out of TS' budget though, based on the current price.

hmmmm ... i was just thinking is the f2.8 really a neccesity? or more like a good to have?
thanks for all the replies!

and oh. yes. i'm using a D90.:D

hmmmm ... i was just thinking is the f2.8 really a neccesity? or more like a good to have?
thanks for all the replies!

My take is for a start if you are going to use it mostly of landscape you will need to step down much more for the depth of field required anyway, and you probably do not need the f2.8.

Ryan

i think tokina 12-24 f/4 is a good choice. body is built to withstand rough usage, gives you much more confidence in handling the fella..

and f/4 is just right i feel, for architectural shots. i cant think of how f/2.8 will help for ultrawides, except for a faster speed in low light?

Status
Not open for further replies.