A more affordable alternative to F2.8L 70-200 IS USM MkII?

The other alternative is the f4 version. Some folks prefer it more as it is so much lighter to use for 1-stop difference.

Just get the 3rd party version recommended here. Term L to me is only tougher and very slightly better image than 3rd party ones but the higher price tag is not that justified. Though I own the lens you mentioned. For the 70-300 F4L its a great lens (see my Zoo pics below, taken by this lens) you won't miss out a lot from the 200 f2.8.
However do not touch the 70-200 f4 Non IS. It's near unusable in dimmer lighting or normal lights, even with very steady hands. That's what I found.

I was in the same exact dilemma as you, and apparently after some research, I've decided to go for the Tamron launched SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD. Go read up on the reviews, go rent one unit to try. You won't be disappointed.

I was in the same exact dilemma as you, and apparently after some research, I've decided to go for the Tamron launched SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD. Go read up on the reviews, go rent one unit to try. You won't be disappointed.

I wanted to find one to rent but apparently the few rental shops only rent out the Canon version. I also read about how the Tamron may not work that well on the Canon 70D. Guess I'll have to go to an actual shop to test. >_<

I would just save up and buy the IS Mk II.

It is not that much more expensive. Just save a few months, and spend less on other luxuries and you can save up for the difference in no time.

There is a rare old lens

Canon 70-210 F3.5-4.5 USM
It is faster than the 70-200 F4 L (F3.5 vs F4) over some focal lengths (can't recall).

Good lens.Suitable for FF also as it was previously designed to mount on film body.

There is a rare old lens

Canon 70-210 F3.5-4.5 USM
It is faster than the 70-200 F4 L (F3.5 vs F4) over some focal lengths (can't recall).

Good lens.Suitable for FF also as it was previously designed to mount on film body.

stats are stats
have nothing to do with operator competency

Check out Dxomark for your camera body!

Your point being? So you mean, people with cameras that have excellent DXOmark could take photos that are fabulous while people with camera that had not that good or poor DXOmark would take crappy photos?

Wake up, my man. Sensor, although important, is only part of what make up a camera. And the most important criteria is the person behind the camera. DXOmark and the such are for hardware nerds and salesman trying to sell a particular brand of camera.