A Maid vs the bottom 20% Singaproeans. Interesting Read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes a fair comparison is hard 2 find. but whether d less well off earn enough 2 sustain is hard 2 judge.

each individual may
. yearn 4 a diff lifestyle
. hav poor financial planning (anyhow spend)
. hav financial burden (take care of young / sick elderly)
. hav long term medical expanses
. not hav enough savings for retirement due to low wages
. not be in d pink of health but $$ will b needed for untold medical expenses
. not hav a stable income (due to d everchanging economic landscape)

how much do u think is enough?

The reality is that foreign maids work overseas to try to earn enough to take care of their families back home. That alone is a sacrifice as they have to be separated from their family but it is something many have had to do, either because there are little by way of work in their home countries.

The plight of older workers in Singapore is somewhat similar. Many continue to work just to sustain a daily existence. This is a country where everything costs money and I feel there are not enough by way of social safety nets for the aged. Whether one group is better or worse off is irrelevant. Both groups need to work to eke out a living.

Yes this thread may be an intellectual discussion but nonetheless I think we all should be mindful and show consideration towards them. Isn't it the decent thing to do?

I am all for being mindful towards people who have problems
but I think there are presumptions being made about the state of affairs of the lower 20% income earners (just because they are earning not much doesn't mean that they are all having trouble living)

I'm really curious where our sense of social justice comes from? it bugs me because I feel like the government makes an issue out of the lower income bracket all the time, making it seem like they're always looking out for their best interests (and assumes that they all need help?)

I've actually met people who earn alot more money who are in terrible situations due to their spending habits and debt
and I've met people who don't earn much (and live simply) and are happy because of their lifestyle choice
let's talk also about the people who are working simply because they want something to do rather than idle.
let's not assume that everyone who works in a lower income bracket basically needs our pity, I think it can be quite condescending.

...I've actually met people who earn alot more money who are in terrible situations due to their spending habits and debt
and I've met people who don't earn much (and live simply) and are happy because of their lifestyle choice
let's talk also about the people who are working simply because they want something to do rather than idle.
let's not assume that everyone who works in a lower income bracket basically needs our pity, I think it can be quite condescending.

Being mindful does not equate to pity. Yes there are many rich people who are in own dire straits and there certainly are people who don't make much but who are happy and contented. But I dare say as we lead our own fast paced lives chasing our financial and career goals, it is easy to overlook and gloss away these 2 groups as if they don't exist.

The old lady should walk to work and eat at home and she should have married someone to share the other bills with.

She has options and opportunity

Everyone should pay Maids more

She has NO options and NO opportunity (at home)

ps. we do pay our maid extra

Status
Not open for further replies.