A Little Bit of Victoria

DanMan

Mar 27, 2003
Singapore, Farrer Rd
Went holidaying with my family in the state of Victoria, Australia early Jun this year. From Melbourne, we drove around the Garden State, stopping by Johanna, the Great Otway National Park, Twelve Apostles, Mornington Peninsula and Yarra Valley. Some shots to share with all.

1. 12 Apostles I

6403292103_660a935b20_z.jpg

Last edited:
Super lovely.

Seems that you spent at least 2 days to take these beautifully shot photos with all the various lighting conditions.

Well done.

Super lovely.

Seems that you spent at least 2 days to take these beautifully shot photos with all the various lighting conditions.

Well done.

Thanks Ceetee! Actually all the shots are taken during the same sunset. I was fortunate enough to reach the 12 Apostles just in time for the sunset. The drive there was kinda winding, and we almost didn't make it in time.

8. Cape Otway Lightstation I

We made our base at the Johanna River Farm & Cottages during our visit to the 12 Apostles. The base allowed us to also explore the Great Otway National Park. One of the attractions was the Cape Otway Lightstation. The weather was kind and the lighthouse was photogenic. We spent some 3 hours here exploring the grounds before rushing down to the 12 Apostles for the sunset.

6445100893_f8f60c2f2e_b.jpg

This is just me, but I think standard postcard photos of the 12 apostles do not appeal much anymore.
It would be great if the famous landmark is shot from different angles, perspectives or with interesting foregrounds (e.g. flower, fence etc).
Nothing beats the thrill of shooting a landmark for the very first time, but it takes more to attract viewers who are already very familiar with the 12 apostles.

I do like your Cape Otway photograph though. Good use of lines leading to the light station.

This is just me, but I think standard postcard photos of the 12 apostles do not appeal much anymore.
It would be great if the famous landmark is shot from different angles, perspectives or with interesting foregrounds (e.g. flower, fence etc).
Nothing beats the thrill of shooting a landmark for the very first time, but it takes more to attract viewers who are already very familiar with the 12 apostles.

I do like your Cape Otway photograph though. Good use of lines leading to the light station.

Thanks for your comments daniellcs. It will always be great to be able to take familiar landscapes from fresh angles. Unfortunately for me, it is kinda difficult to go "off road" at times especially when traveling with the family, and with so little time. Just satisfied with just some decent run-of-the-mill shots. Not too concerned if it is not appealing :) Just wanted to share. Glad you like the Cape Otway photo though.

9. Cape Otway Lightstation II

Taken from another angle.

6445101505_fe62ec1a67_b.jpg

Of the 12 Apostles shots, I like #3 and #6 the best, composition wise. #2 is definitely out for me with that little sliver of land on the bottom left being quite distracting. I thought that based on the position of the sun, sunrise might be more promising..

Of the 12 Apostles shots, I like #3 and #6 the best, composition wise. #2 is definitely out for me with that little sliver of land on the bottom left being quite distracting. I thought that based on the position of the sun, sunrise might be more promising..

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I'm sure sunrise will offer more photographic opportunities. I managed to find a few rather spectacular ones in Flickr by simply googling. Maybe the next time :) As for #2, personally I didn't find the outcrop at the bottom left distracting, but instead added some balance to complement the rocks on the left. I'm certain your view has its merits. I suppose it's just me then :)

10. Cape Otway Lightstation III

Taken from inside the cafe nearest to the lighthouse.

6445101817_9090346c21_b.jpg

Last edited:
11. Sunset

Taken near the Johanna River Farm & Cottages. The farmstay is a short drive along a undulating dirt path off the main road.

6573769967_9958fc44d6_b.jpg

12. Untitled

This was taken along the jungle path to the Triplet Falls, situated at the Great Otway National Park. I brought along a light and cheapo tripod and there was metal wired fencing at the photo site. I spent almost 40 minutes balancing my tripod on the fencing, attempting to hold it steady for a 10-second shot. After many, many attempts, I finally managed to get a decent stable shot :)

6573719647_a21c3d987b_b.jpg

Nice shots of the 12 Apostles. Brought back memories of my trip there. I prefer #4 over #5. Keep on sharing!

Nice shots of the 12 Apostles. Brought back memories of my trip there. I prefer #4 over #5. Keep on sharing!

Thanks SLT33. Unfortunately I only have a few more to share.

13. Rooted

Also taken along the trail at Triplet Falls.

6573719657_59082a704a_b.jpg