A Kingfisher at Japanese Garden Shot by a Nikon 500mm F8 Mirror lens

OLDTIMER

Deregistered
May 7, 2009
PARIS,JAPAN ,HONGKONG & SPORE
5574689598_c1fe0bc391_b.jpg

Was testing my Nikon 500mm F8 Mirror lens .
Shot this sweet Kingfisher at the Japanese Garden today evening at 6.15pm.

Photo was shot by A Nikon D300s and a Nikon 500mm F8 Mirror lens .on Mode A .
Non-CPU data .

Pls do cmments on my photo as I was too tired to shot today due too sleepy as the weather was so winding and nice !!LOL!!!!!!!.

Happy viewing
Cheers
Oldtimer

the shot looks great! but just a lil suggestion.. maybe you should underexpose.. unless ur going for a very high key shot then nevermind. >_>

Oldtimer,
It's a nice shot of this bird,
Didn't know Nikon has a 500mm F8 Mirror lens too, I thought only Sony have F8 AF 500mm mirror lens, Is Nikon mirror lens with AF?

Hi Stanycjw ,
Nice to hear from you again.
This is a Nikon 500mm F8 (Later Version ) .Its a fully Manual reflex lens and can adapt a Nikon Teleconverter (TC14B or TC 301 )
Its Super Sharp and one has to master the technique on handling one of this sweet little Chilli Padi in which anytime it can kill any of this Montrous tele photo lens (which I myself have it all before from 300mm to 600mm with AF-S VR 2 ) now sold to some of close buddies .

Many Pros always bring the issues on this Reflex lens for their weakness on Contrast ,BOKEH ( In Japanese )and Fix aperture .

But none has really spent much time on it neither mastering it as this are Special Purpose lens and not a everyday use lens .

For me its a everyday use lens and its always in my camera Bag .

I have owned a few of this Super Mirror lens from 350mm to 1600mm from Sony/Minolta , Nikon ,Tamron ,Vivitar (Solid Cat 1 )and Zeiss.

I have yet to know any one know how to appreciate a Reflex lens .

Since I am just a Amateur for the last 30 over years in which I am still learning new techniques from all the New software and New DSLR now .

Photography is all about Arts and Science combination and one have to master certain skills on certain lens and control of lighting too .
One also must have that inborn Creative Flare in them too but not just monkey follow monkey or just reading from margazine or reviews from those So Call Professional reviewers.

The One person That I have respected the Most is the Late Mr.Herbert Kepler and he is my mentor .

I have many young and older photographers (Close Buddies ) from all over the globe who uses Reflex lens and it all came out with very Nice Capture, superb sharpness from those Nature,Sports and Landscape photos .

Reflex lens is so compact and super sharp as one can stalk a birdie or a animal in their natural habitat as Big and Montrous Telephoto lens cannot do it .

My dear Friend if you do need any advice pls feel free to PM me .

I am a Retired Old but Young and trendy Looking man !!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take more photos as photos create mood and beauty of this world every each day.

Cheers
OLdtimer

Last edited:
Dear My friend OLDTIMER,

Thankyou so much for your replied, you are right that not many photographers appreciate the mirror lens. In facts, I choose it mainly of it light weight and the IQ but one must really knows how to handle it.

I started with photographly since 1976 with an OM1 flim camera and due to my busy working shedules in the United States, I do not have much time for it till couples of years ago when I've retired and back to Singapore. I have much time now and so I went back to my old hobbies and learn about DSLR and all the software around but I do not have the inborn creative with me (hahaaa). So keep learning day by days and presently I am using a Sony A55 paired with Sony F8 Auto Focus mirror lens beside I too use Nikon D90 too for birding and flowers.

Refer to your para. above and I strongly agreed that you said Photography is all about Arts and Science combination and one have to master certain skills on certain lens and control of lighting too. One also must have that inborn Creative Flare in them too but not just monkey follow monkey or just reading from margazine or reviews from those So Call Professional reviewers.

thanks again and keep intouch and wish we could meet one day for outing and chat. (PM me other time)
Regards,
Peter (stanycjw)

Wow....didn't know mirror lens has good IQ. You must be skillful to be able to MF on birds. Perhaps I can consider a mirror lens for budget birding too but of course I need to train my skills for handling MF. Any recommended brands for mirror lens just that I am a canon user?

Hi Gundamseed84,
Not sure what camera or dslr you are using.
A very good one will be a Used Vivitar Cat 1 500mm F8 or the Tamron 55BB (500mmF8) or Tamron 350mm F5.6 .

The rest is all Killer Mirror lens as its very hard to find in Used second market .Even you find one its better you test it on your DSLR and check them make its sharp at the centre .
As mirror lens CANNOT drop or Clean by any Tom & Harry Technician, only the Factory has the equipment to open up the lens and cleaning the Mirror is not by Brush or any micro fibre cloth.
Alignment is Tune by a Special Measuring tool which 10 times more precise than any Super Telephoto in the today's Market .Look at those Super Mirror lens that look at Sky and Stars how many thousand light years ahead of us and still get super sharp on the photo.
The factory cleanse the lens with Special Chemical Water Jet and in a Very Clean and Dust Free special Dust Tight Room like those in assembly plant for those PC Hard Disk.

*Remember Super Good Mirror lens cost as much as any Super Telephoto lens *

The other OEM brand I can recommend will be Minolta/Sony 500mm F8 ,Minolta 800mm F 11 or 1600mm f11 or Nikon 500mmf8 or 1000mmF11 ,Olympus 500mm F8 and the Zeiss 500mm F4.5 .All this Mirror lens are Superb in their Sharpness but only loose out a bit on the contrast only with fix aperture.
Before you buy you have to try it as those who own all this Superb hardly sell unless there is technical problems or have drop it.
Pls do PM me if you need my advice .Its Free but if you can donate a Cup of Teh -O and Char Kway Teow will be fine !!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Last but not the least !!Remember photography is all about Creativity and Composition as Dslr and Lens are just TOOLS !!!!*

Good luck to you my dear friend.

Cheers
Oldtimer

Last edited:
gundamseed84

This is wrong thread to discuss equipment, please go to Equipment and go to SONY. I have posted mirror lens infor there.