A Good Read on Some Thoughts on Nature Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
I thought it may be good to read this :

This is an article written on this BLOG http://besgroup.talfrynature.com/2009/02/15/some-thoughts-on-bird-photographers/

I do encourage nature photographers to read it. It a good article written without any hidden agenda but an honest observation.

As more and more photgraphers here and in Singapore becomes interested in bird photgraphy it is inevitable and becoming common to have big groups of photogs congregating to photograph a single small subject, (just like runway and event shoots in Shopping Centres). This in my opinion is not a bad thing, as more ppl are becoming aware of the nature in Singapore. And I do hope and will not be surprise if any of member/s here will join the ranks of photog in NG or even win the BBC Wild Life Competition in time to come, doing us proud.

However, we in Clubsnap World of Nautre Forum do have the moral responsibility to help to point to the correct direction and mentor our newer (not necessary younger)photog on the ethics of nature photography as well as setting a good example for newer photog to follow.

Sorry for being long winded, let me quote a recent email conversation between some nature photographers:

"Dear nature friends,

I have question to ask? In your capacity as a professional or highly experienced nature photographer, may I ask your opinion on what are the necessary ingredients to become a good nature photographer if one aspired to become?
This question was asked by an overseas friend of mine who came to Singapore to work recently and she hope to become a good nature photographer after getting her DSLR and some basic kit lens. I may not have the experience as much as you have, therefore your input will be of great help to her. "

The first answer (also the best and a truely good answer):

"I think besides a good master of your photographic gears, the most important trait is a good understanding & respect of your nature subjects. Spend more time observing & documenting them. Once you know their behaviour & habitat well, getting good pictures comes naturally.
Having said that, I also noted that most well respected nature photographers have this common attitude: no good nature pictures should come at the expense of the subject. "

Finally to all here, Please keep up the good work and posting here. Let your images inspire and create awareness of nature in this land scarce island of ours.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this article. It's a good read. Luckily I have not seen this type of behaviour in the field so far, may be because I always chose to shoot during the off-peak hours at the less crowded places so did not encounter photographers like this. Or may be those people I met are truly nature lover.

Anyway, a true nature lover should not do this.

However, we in Clubsnap World of Nautre Forum do have the moral responsibility to help to point to the correct direction and mentor our newer (not necessary younger)photog on the ethics of nature photography as well as setting a good example for newer photog to follow.

Cheers

Thanks Chngpe01 for bringing this up.
Why I have decided to quote this section of your thread is because these guys/gals that trampled down the side of the boardwalk for their so called "perfect shot" are the more seasoned photographers.
It wasn't something nice to see but it happened and I wasn't brave enough to voice out either.

nature or not nature, the same applies to every subject

be it punggol beach, or deserted houses.

even if it has nothing to do with conservation, there is also something called "discretion".. something which many people do not care for. all they care for is their moment of glory and fun, and then thereafter the location is shut down because the police were notified for trepassing, etc and no one else can shoot the place.

i have seen photographers throwing mineral water bottles anyhow on punggol beach before, it is very disgusting behaviour that should not be condoned or learnt from.

respect your subject. be it a model, a rock, or a bird.

Thanks PE for the link.

The problem here is that the whole Birding community was implicated by the acts of some individual/s. In my observsation most of the acts are done by inexperience newbies but there are also a number of seasoned respectable persons who does the same. The Newbies we can guide but it would be tough on the Seasoned photographers.

A good point DeSwitch. Whether the bad hats are old 'birds' or newbies, I personally think the onus falls on shooters who value both their subject and its wellbeing to speak up or at least make it clear they will not tolerate the practice. I know people often give the defence that 'it's just a few black sheep and most shooters care enough NOT to do such things'. But when all it takes is for one black sheep to do something that could cause the animal to abandon its preferred feeding spot, become so accustomed to humans in close proximity that it turns into easy prey for poachers, or introduce bait (which may be pathogen-contaminated) such as store-bought McFrogs when natural food is readily available around it, or simply trample in groups onto vegetated areas that support a whole lot of other wildlife, I think the fear of speaking against such practices needs to be considered the realisation that just one individual's action, however well-meaning or sincere, can cause damage or loss that will affect all other shooters, as well as the subject.

Budak, AFAIK, the mcFrog thing was just a joke not a reality. I personally did not see anyone introduce any food for the BBKF. Beside, there's plenty of avaliable natural food at the location. I had seen the BBKF caught spiders, fish, prawns and crabs. There are plenty of resident frogs there too but had not seen the BBKF picking on them.

Personally, I think the pitta case at SBG was overboard. Overfeeding and positioning the rocks and destroying the plants.

Thanks PE for the link.

The problem here is that the whole Birding community was implicated by the acts of some individual/s. In my observsation most of the acts are done by inexperience newbies but there are also a number of seasoned respectable persons who does the same. The Newbies we can guide but it would be tough on the Seasoned photographers.

DeSwitch, how do you think "seasoned photographers" can help. It came to my attention that a very senior member of another forum was bringing baits and even setting up a mini studio at the SBG for the Pitta.
While at LP, none of us "newbies" went down the boardwalk, all we heard and saw was the so-called "sifus" rushing down. So, it is rather unfair that you generalise that "most of the acts are done by inexperience newbies". When you point your finger at others, remember three fingers are pointing at yourself.
I don't see newbies going back to emulate this seasoned photographers. As a newbie myself, I am guided by commonsense and I won't go to the extent of modifying the enviroment to achieve my perfect shot.
While we are still newbies, I think we are rational enough to know what is acceptable and not acceptable.
Having commonsense and being rational has nothing to do with being a newbie or seasoned photographer.

Agreed that many season and more experience photographer are doing things to destory the nature just to get their "perfect shots" or a least better than the new-comers.

I don't really do birding but more to nature macro-photography.

It is very sad to see many experience ppls teaching newcomers to catch insects and place them on the perfect perch to shoot, baiting butterflies with pineapple juice or 100plus.

Nothing much can we do, that why nowadays, i'm shooting alone or only with my trusted kaki and never discuss on the location. Some might think that i'm selfish to be secretive...but so be it.

Yesterday when i make a trip to Pulau Ubin butterflies hill to shoot landscape, it is a sad sight that many of the vegetation were flatten due to previous group stomping into it just to have a snap shot of the butterflies, little that they know that they killing those butterflies by destorying their home and food sources.

DeSwitch, how do you think "seasoned photographers" can help. It came to my attention that a very senior member of another forum was bringing baits and even setting up a mini studio at the SBG for the Pitta.
While at LP, none of us "newbies" went down the boardwalk, all we heard and saw was the so-called "sifus" rushing down. So, it is rather unfair that you generalise that "most of the acts are done by inexperience newbies". When you point your finger at others, remember three fingers are pointing at yourself.
I don't see newbies going back to emulate this seasoned photographers. As a newbie myself, I am guided by commonsense and I won't go to the extent of modifying the enviroment to achieve my perfect shot.
While we are still newbies, I think we are rational enough to know what is acceptable and not acceptable.
Having commonsense and being rational has nothing to do with being a newbie or seasoned photographer.

You might have missed my point. I did not say the "sifu" didnt do it. Most Newbie inocently "broke" some rule but its easy to just advise them but I'm saying it will be hard to try that to a "sifu".
I'm glad and wish there are more nature loving ppl like you. I just wish those picking up the hobby do not pick up the bad habits of the "very senior member". BTW, I know a "Newbie" sat on the plant and was caught by Nparks at SBG. BTW, I'm also considered a Newbie in this hobby.

You might have missed my point. I did not say the "sifu" didnt do it. Most Newbie inocently "broke" some rule but its easy to just advise them but I'm saying it will be hard to try that to a "sifu".
I'm glad and wish there are more nature loving ppl like you. I just wish those picking up the hobby do not pick up the bad habits of the "very senior member". BTW, I know a "Newbie" sat on the plant and was caught by Nparks at SBG. BTW, I'm also considered a Newbie in this hobby.
Deswitch, you specifically mentioned in your observation that most of this acts are done by INEXPERIENCE NEWBIES and I therefore feel you have been extremely unfair. Please note you have used the word "MOST".
If you break rules, you break rules. There is no such thing a "newbies innocently break rules" and otherwise.
I feel you have been too quick and too bias to put blame to newbies. In this 2 particular instances of SBG and LP, the majority of this who broke the rules are the seasoned photographers, period. They are the ones who have put us newbies to shame. Please do not generalised.
In your earlier thread, you wrote..."The Newbies we can guide but it would be tough on the Seasoned photographers"... how can you consider yourself a newbie?
And yes, one newbie caught sitting on the plants does not mean you can thus use the word "MOST"....
Please be fair and reasonable in your observation and comment.

Deswitch, you specifically mentioned in your observation that most of this acts are done by INEXPERIENCE NEWBIES and I therefore feel you have been extremely unfair. Please note you have used the word "MOST".
If you break rules, you break rules. There is no such thing a "newbies innocently break rules" and otherwise.
I feel you have been too quick and too bias to put blame to newbies. In this 2 particular instances of SBG and LP, the majority of this who broke the rules are the seasoned photographers, period. They are the ones who have put us newbies to shame. Please do not generalised.
In your earlier thread, you wrote..."The Newbies we can guide but it would be tough on the Seasoned photographers"... how can you consider yourself a newbie?
And yes, one newbie caught sitting on the plants does not mean you can thus use the word "MOST"....

Ok apologies to all Newbies who are offended.

My statement do not just base on these 2 cases at SBG and LP. Observation are base on what I see over a long period of time.

In simple English I meant:

1. Newbie who broke rules are usually because they are inexperience and hence easier to correct.

2. Seasoned photographer who broke rules are the ones that is hard to correct because they knew what they are doing is wrong.

thanks for this nice article! :thumbsup:

thanks for creating more awareness.......

:)

i have seen photographers throwing mineral water bottles anyhow on punggol beach before, it is very disgusting behaviour that should not be condoned or learnt from.

Not only the rubbish is disgusting. Already two times that I have been to Punggol waiting for the sunset and a horde of photographers literally invaded the area: making a hell of noise, radio / hp music, plastic bottle and bags flying around. Best of all: putting up their gear right in front of me and another photog sitting there, thus blocking the view to sunset, completely unaware of other people who obviously want to take the same scenery. How can people be so blind but have a hobby that needs eyes?
"Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but foot prints." - In between make yourself invisible.

IMO:

Good or bad... right or wrong... not sure who is to judge. I think such matters does not apply only to nature photographers or photographers in general. It applies to all other areas as well. Bottomline is that it is hard for anyone to always make everyone else happy while making himself/herself happy.

Just sharing my thoughts. Mod, if this post is irrelevant, feel free to delete.

Firehouse: can i know why are you so offended? did you do something? how offen do you bird?

Please know that Deswitch is not blaming "newbies" for the events. We are all still newbies. there are groups out there that do the right thing and some the other.

Please do not change the topic of blaming who, but to bring awarences and stop what is going on and hope our childrens get to see what we have seen.

Deswitch: we do what is within our power and enjoy the nature. :)
we can educate and share, but EVERYONE has a duty to THINK BEFORE YOU ACT.

shoot more nice birds. this year is a good year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.